Free Member
Aug 22, 2009
east sussex
Funster No
MH
soon to be RV
Exp
New But have had carravans
Hi I am considering viewing a FOURWINDS HURRICANE that is for sale 2004 petrol ford v10 done 13000 ish just wondering if there are any points I need to look for when viewing .That is good or bad points with this model.

Many thanks.:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
is there a bad thing?

Hi I am considering viewing a FOURWINDS HURRICANE that is for sale 2004 petrol ford v10 done 13000 ish just wondering if there are any points I need to look for when viewing .That is good or bad points with this model.

Many thanks.:thumb:

If you have owned an RV before then you know the points to look for on a yank, if not then it is a whole new learning curve.

Good start asking the people with the yanks.. me I cannot say as I have only had Winnibagos and Champions plus Ram vans... plus yank cars... But the body work is important as it can be expensive to repair.

Most parts for a yank are available this side of the pond these days (mechanical) and other parts can be got fairly quickly from several dealers.
I have a V10 triton engine ...6.8 petrol and found it to be a good lump and pulls well. Think if you need a slide out or not, as room is what it is about on a yank.. they all have the luxury bits as standard like generators air con etc., make sure you can live with the layout. Then look at a European van and I bet you will head back to the yank.

starter anyway...

Bob:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi, I have not had an RV with that engine, but plenty have and its well thought of. At 13,000 miles the engines not quite run in yet::bigsmile: Think about how many miles you are going to do a year and work out if its worth getting it LPGd.

The main thing to check, is...does the person selling it to you, own it. Once you are happy with that, go over it thoroughly for damp. Do not buy a damp RV, it will literally rot away.

Use your nose, does it smell of damp
. Study the roof lining and look for visible stains and water marks. Pay particular attention around the roof vent openings and where walls meet ceiling and where walls meet walls. Look for rust showing on any nails or screws or staples Look inside the overhead cabinets and check the ceiling. Mildew stains may show up as black spots on ceilings and walls. Check the exterior and see if there is opportunity for water ingress, look at all vents and roof fittings carefully see that all the seals are secure.

Get a thorough demo of every item and see it working, if anything is broken use it as a bargaining tool, but come back here first and as how much something will be to fix, don't rely on the seller to tell you that awning fabric only costs $20 etc.

Get a test drive, and only when you are happy shake hands on the deal. Have fun:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
add to Jims comments

Hi, I have not had an RV with that engine, but plenty have and its well thought of. At 13,000 miles the engines not quite run in yet::bigsmile: Think about how many miles you are going to do a year and work out if its worth getting it LPGd.

The main thing to check, is...does the person selling it to you, own it. Once you are happy with that, go over it thoroughly for damp. Do not buy a damp RV, it will literally rot away.

Use your nose, does it smell of damp. Study the roof lining and look for visible stains and water marks. Pay particular attention around the roof vent openings and where walls meet ceiling and where walls meet walls. Look for rust showing on any nails or screws or staples Look inside the overhead cabinets and check the ceiling. Mildew stains may show up as black spots on ceilings and walls. Check the exterior and see if there is opportunity for water ingress, look at all vents and roof fittings carefully see that all the seals are secure.

Get a thorough demo of every item and see it working, if anything is broken use it as a bargaining tool, but come back here first and as how much something will be to fix, don't rely on the seller to tell you that awning fabric only costs $20 etc.

Get a test drive, and only when you are happy shake hands on the deal. Have fun:thumb:

Jim mentions many valid points and I would just pick up on the LPG... The V10 is an expensive engine to convert to LPG, I was quoted just under £4k and the Griffs have a slightly bigger Winnebago of the same type i.e an Aspect and they have recently had there done so they will be able to tell you about it.. I know they had to have there fuel tank reduced in size but that I think is due to the fact it is an Aspect and little room under them. But they still have a V10 and had it done only recently.

But do think about what Jim has said.. there are some real pigs out there which people are trying to off load.. and again some real nice motor homes.. you have to hunt.

But questions? do ask..

Bob:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We recently traded in our Hurricane 30q on an 04 plate 23k miles with v10 triton lpg converted 8mpg, we loved it but went for a bit smaller rv again on the triton v10 and have had it converted to lpg at a cost of £3500. :thumb:

OP
OP
K

Kenny and Dolly

Free Member
Aug 22, 2009
east sussex
Funster No
MH
soon to be RV
Exp
New But have had carravans
Hurricane 30q

thanks for that info do you mean once converted you got extra 8 mpg

your rv you traded in was it in the 25-30k region.

Cheers Ken

Grey Hair is a crown of splendor:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
8 mpg on lpg but adjusting for fuel cost ie 58p litre = around 14 mpg. I believe the price may be around that

Larry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back