Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I have just had the renewal from Comfort for our Smart Car which we carry on a trailer behind the Motorhome.

When we went FULL TIME last March we were charged an extra premium on the Motorhome for full time use, but I was told then, that there was no increase on the car insurance. Both vehicles also have RAC UK & Europe breakdown insurance included in the premium. Both are insured through Comfort with AVIVA.

Our premium was £29.33 month for the Car (£351.96). and £48.97 a month for the Motorhome with the added premium of £388.41 added in cash on 01/03/10 (£587.64 + £388.41 = £976.64).

The new car premium is £729.93 from the 1st August. When I queried this I was told that the increase was for the additional risk of the car being behind the Motorhome on the trailer or on sites (not Garaged). (£729 minus £351 is an increase of £378).

I am now awaiting the premium for the Motorhome due 1st December.

John

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
RIP OFF !

It seems to me the only way with car insurance is to change regularly. You then get new business discount. Sometimes if you phone to cancel they will match other quotes to keep you.

Don't let them screw you.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
over the top

It is a rip off as Brian has said.. you need to look around at what else you can get.

Bob:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It is a rip off, but as I said in another post, AFAIK there is no other company offering full timing cover.. so they can charge what they like..

I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of full timers have not told their insurers that they have no fixed abode and are in effect not insured...

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
It is a rip off as Brian has said.. you need to look around at what else you can get.

I went on-line yesterday to get facts before contacting Comfort. With AVIVA their online quote for the Smart was £204.16.

I quoted this to Comfort with the quote reference. Steve at Comfort took the details and checked for himself. He then telephoned me back after contacting AVIVA and said the extra premium was because of the extra risks as I was full timing and the car was being carried behind the motorhome or was on site un-garaged. £525 additional premium for going Full Time.

As Jim says Comfort is the only company that will cover for Full Timing.

John

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
not being a full timer

I went on-line yesterday to get facts before contacting Comfort. With AVIVA their online quote for the Smart was £204.16.

I quoted this to Comfort with the quote reference. Steve at Comfort took the details and checked for himself. He then telephoned me back after contacting AVIVA and said the extra premium was because of the extra risks as I was full timing and the car was being carried behind the motorhome or was on site un-garaged. £525 additional premium for going Full Time.

As Jim says Comfort is the only company that will cover for Full Timeing.

John

John not being a full timer, I was not aware that such a limited availabity was out there.. does anyone have thoughts on this?

Do you fulltimers all use this one company? does not Adrian Flux cover this kind of risk?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
John not being a full timer, I was not aware that such a limited availabity was out there.. does anyone have thoughts on this?

Do you fulltimers all use this one company? does not Adrian Flux cover this kind of risk?

Bob.. it is one of the most discussed issues by full timers .. most I suspect are not properly covered and have omitted to declare that they are full time.
I spent three years looking for full time cover, called every broker and company and Comfort will only provide if you have a postal address .. not much use if like me you had none and even less use if the premium is beyond your financial means.

This and many other issues with full timing were why we decided to give up .. it's just too much hassle.. the system beat us :Sad:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
never let the system win

Bob.. it is one of the most discussed issues by full timers .. most I suspect are not properly covered and have omitted to declare that they are full time.
I spent three years looking for full time cover, called every broker and company and Comfort will only provide if you have a postal address .. not much use if like me you had none and even less use if the premium is beyond your financial means.

This and many other issues with full timing were why we decided to give up .. it's just too much hassle.. the system beat us :Sad:

My view is you never let the system win.. even if you have to hit your head against the wall time after time.

Bob:thumb:

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time

You still need an address for your driving and vehicle documents, Passport etc. As long as you have this Comfort will provide you with cover. We use our daughters address for this. It does not need to be an address that you live at. You make a declaration that you are full timing and the insurance documents are marked as such. We calculate now that the additional premiums will take up the savings we made by not paying Council Tax.

John

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
We are going full time next April (all being well). We are currently with Safeguard who offer 365 eu cover for I think £3xx for our van. I will still have a house in the UK but will rent it out and my place of residence will be my sisters home. We intend to come back there once a year for MOT's etc. I havent contacted them yet to check but I presume that we are covered. Can anyone comment on this? Not sure about the bike insurance yet.

BD

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
You still need an address for your driving and vehicle documents, Passport etc. As long as you have this Comfort will provide you with cover.

John

Hi John

this was exactly our problem, we did not have an address nor any other we could use, without which it is impossible to full time and keep within the law. The 'system' does not cater for such people.. big brother likes to keep you on the radar.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We are going full time next April (all being well). We are currently with Safeguard who offer 365 eu cover for I think £3xx for our van. I will still have a house in the UK but will rent it out and my place of residence will be my sisters home. We intend to come back there once a year for MOT's etc. I havent contacted them yet to check but I presume that we are covered. Can anyone comment on this? Not sure about the bike insurance yet.

BD

Presume nothing Barry, you are doing what most full timers do, ie, not declaring your living full time in the van.. leave nothing to chance.

However, if you do declare to Safeguard and they either refuse cover or make the premium prohibitive this detail will be on your file for other insurers to see ..

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am sure somone will correct me if am wrong, but several years ago road hauliers and the like could opt out of the insurance scam...oops I meen scheme by depositing a sum of money somwhere that could be used as a guarantee of payment in the event of a claim.

Am sertainly not advocating that Joe Motorhomer would be able to afford to do this,but a large group of motorhomers perhaps could...if you know what I meen:Smile:
Somthing else for our ilustrious leader to think about as well as funster earings.:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Am sure somone will correct me if am wrong, but several years ago road hauliers and the like could opt out of the insurance scam...oops I meen scheme by depositing a sum of money somwhere that could be used as a guarantee of payment in the event of a claim.

Am sertainly not advocating that Joe Motorhomer would be able to afford to do this,but a large group of motorhomers perhaps could...if you know what I meen:Smile:
Somthing else for our ilustrious leader to think about as well as funster earings.:ROFLMAO:

This was the case in the 1950s-60s. The operator had to lodge a bond of £1,000,000 (one Million) to cover his fleet.

John

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
hey not so rich if you do not mind

Good adage Bob, fine if you are a rich lawyer :winky: ..

try it as a poor nomad, the streets are full of principled beggars.

Legal aid work is at the bottom of the earning list for lawyers.. I know.. I was at the bottom of the pond. I should have become a tax lawyer rather than a criminal lawyer.. but serious we were not paid that well.

All you need is about £500k and you can lodge a bond and not have to have any insurance.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
This was the case in the 1950s-60s. The operator had to lodge a bond of £1,000,000 (one Million) to cover his fleet.

John
Works out at £250 each between 4000 members...but thats a one off payment for lifetime insurance:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Anyone?????

Re : Travelling people.. or travellers.

From what I've read, the ones 'on the road' use an address at one of the permanent sites as a 'home address' , there may be many using the same address.

More info on the travellers sites .. (forums)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back