Heat tape - anybody tried it ? (1 Viewer)

poacher

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2008
Funster No
Unlike some of the lucky ones, we are unable to escape to British weather this winter :cry:

Does anyone have any experience of 'heat tape' - normally 'wound' around exposed domestic pipes to prevent freezing (as if winter's in the UK are cold !! )

This is a link to the sort of thing we are considering -
Link Removed

From other research it seems that the 'self regulating tape is preferable - it also means that I don't have to firstly wrap all the pipe work in aluminum tape

Intend to further 'insulate' the water pipe work that I can reach but would appreciate any feed back from any who might have used this tape before deciding if it is a worthwhile investment under the insulation

Thanks in anticipation

poacher

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Your link didn't work but I think This is the page you meant.

We've used our van in all months of the year over the last four years, with no more protection than the manufacturer fitted as standard and not had any problems. To an extent I think it depends as to how much of the pipes are inside the van and how much are outside.

On our van all the water pipes are internal, the only ones underneath being the pipe to the grey waste tank and the drainage pipes from grey and fresh tanks. For English winters I would have thought wrapping in foam insulation would be sufficient for those - if, indeed, anything at all were needed.

Graham

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Used our van all last winter with just the manufactures fitted insulation. The only thing different to summer is we leave the water heater on low to stop it "dumping". Also our heater is under the sink so we leave the door open when we are in the van, puts a little heat in the van. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
poacher

poacher

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2008
Funster No
Graham,

Thanks for 'correct' link - not sure why it didn't copy over correctly

Yes that is the 'stuff' under consideration

Unfortunately 'all' our 'city water' piping, drainage etc connections are below the motorhome floor- the pipework also runs across the coach to the filter and water heater - so you can see my concern

A mamouth job to fit insultation so thought I might kill two birds with one stone, so to speakby fitting the tape beneath the insulation

poacher

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Interesting?

I feel further investigation required as, Winne's grey tank hangs under the back of the van and last year, OK it was extreme, at one point it was -6 during the day:Eeek:, we had a couple of frozen issues, base of the tank and the outlet pipe, just meant we couldn't empty.

This may be an option I hadn't seen before as the Yank stuff get pricey quickly, espesially for the pipe, the tank heaters aren't to bad it's once you start adding all the other bits.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A mamouth job to fit insultation so thought I might kill two birds with one stone, so to speakby fitting the tape beneath the insulation

poacher

Insulation does not stop freezups, it delays them. So you are working on the right lines. Hellish expensive isn't it.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we leave our heating on auto

Used our van all last winter with just the manufactures fitted insulation. The only thing different to summer is we leave the water heater on low to stop it "dumping". Also our heater is under the sink so we leave the door open when we are in the van, puts a little heat in the van. :thumb:

Our pipes on the whole on a yank are protected, but I do leave my gas hot air heating on auto so if the tempreture drops to freezing it kicks in an keeps the chill off the inside of the RV... uses LPG from the main tank and also I have a 80watt tube green house heater fitted on the table so keep a small background heat running off the 240v hook up from the house.. I have made up a felt pad that I put over the external locker (inside) on my Attwood water heater if I have not drained the water from the heater down... last winter was cold in the South of the UK and we had serious snow at times and many many days below freezing.. but we got through it OK.. I also used a dehumidifier on a timer and that drained in to the sink and I left the grey tank open.. the black was open but not in use so no freeze up there either.. I do see a lot of the pipe foam you buy at B&Q in use in the RV. My water tank in inboard so the heat from the blower keeps that free from ice.

You have to just use what is best for your motor home.

Good luck with it

Bob:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A cheap and chearfull way to stop your tanks freezing up is as I posted some time ago in another thread.
I droped a small tropical fishtank heater in both my gray and fresh water tanks,they take no power and do the job.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We have "winterised" using the pipe foam on all pipes, both under and inside our unit, we also have a tap where we can drain directly outside without diverting it to the grey tank . Our black waste goes to a marine style holding tank, a good dollupe of anti freeze keeps this "fluid" for the winter ! Last year we had no problems ,even in Scotland, don't know what the temperture was but our brass monkey was doing a lot of clutching his nether regions

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
you could always get one of those reptile heat mats from the pet shop for under the tanks:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back