Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
Hi, although I may be waiting an eternity for a new (coloured) van order due to serious backlogs I cant decide on van length and was wondering if anyone had same thoughts when planning a conversion.
I would like a fixed rear bed, transversely mounted with storage under.
I can't decide the pros and cons of a 6m or 6.4m van conversion (Citroen, fiat etc).
I have a moho ATM its only 6.7m, but hate the width of it driving round the lakes most of the time.
The length doesn't really bother me driving but its still too long to park in most places.
Will I gain much interior usage from the extra 400mm or so?

Hope this makes sense(n)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Not sure ordering a L3 or L4 in metallic colours if even possible at the moment? I know of a few people that have had one on order for months and recently had their orders cancelled.

As far as length goes, obviously it's personal choice, but if buying new I'd personally go for the 6.4m. I have the 6m at the moment and would love the extra space.

I was planning to do the same as you (metallic L4), but getting impatient and don't have the funds for a new van. So I'll be going for a secondhand L3 (L4 demands a silly premium secondhand), probably in white and spraying it.

Deleted User
Try planning a layout for both L3 and L4 versions and see if you can get what you NEED into the shorter one: if you can, get the L3 (and if you are planning a two berth with two travel seats, that can easily be done in an L3). If you're worried about parking, there is little real difference between them in practice as both are too long for marked parking spaces so don't let that influence your decision too much.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bengaz

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
Not sure ordering a L3 or L4 in metallic colours if even possible at the moment? I know of a few people that have had one on order for months and recently had their orders cancelled.

As far as length goes, obviously it's personal choice, but if buying new I'd personally go for the 6.4m. I have the 6m at the moment and would love the extra space.

I was planning to do the same as you (metallic L4), but getting impatient and don't have the funds for a new van. So I'll be going for a secondhand L3 (L4 demands a silly premium secondhand), probably in white and spraying it.
yes you are correct, you cant even order one but my dealer said i may still be able to put down deposit and secure a deal that cant be changed even if the price increases.
I may be tempted by this but like your idea buying 2nd hand and wrapping.
I have a great local wrapping company near me.
What kind of extra money does the L4 demand 2nd hand?

OP
OP
Bengaz

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
Try planning a layout for both L3 and L4 versions and see if you can get what you NEED into the shorter one: if you can, get the L3 (and if you are planning a two berth with two travel seats, that can easily be done in an L3). If you're worried about parking, there is little real difference between them in practice as both are too long for marked parking spaces so don't let that influence your decision too much.
Yes should have said only the 2 of us but now have grandchild so who knows?
Thanks, I think parking was the only main concern really.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
yes you are correct, you cant even order one but my dealer said i may still be able to put down deposit and secure a deal that cant be changed even if the price increases.
I may be tempted by this but like your idea buying 2nd hand and wrapping.
I have a great local wrapping company near me.
What kind of extra money does the L4 demand 2nd hand?

I was planning on wrapping, but been put off by others that have had it done. So instead I'll spray. I like the matt red on this years Ferrari F1, but suspect I'll be veto'd by the missus :D

I was looking earlier today for something around 2015 with reasonable miles. L3 seemed around £8-9k. L4, nearer £12k.

You can fit a lot in a L3. This is our current layout:
MH5.JPG

The next one will be very similar as this works for us and the dog who has his own bed under my bed. Not that he uses it :D

We have nieces and nephews who all want to come away in the van, and were planning on having a spare bed across the front seats. But now going to build a roof tent that can be accessed from inside. This will mean the solar panels angle which is a bonus.

Deleted User
...I think parking was the only main concern really.
I have an L4 and usually have to look for two spaces, one in front of the other ... if you can find a space where the rear end can overhang grass etc then either are not too bad in a single space, though they will still stick out a bit at the front!

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I can't decide the pros and cons of a 6m or 6.4m van

I've a 6m Boxer PVC and we don't fit in a regular parking bay (length wise I mean) and always overhang. So a L4 base won't make any difference as you still won't fit :rolleyes: So next time round, I'll be buying a longer base!

probably in white and spraying it.

Have you priced vinyl wrapping it versus spraying it?

I don't know what the cost of either is, but wraps are becoming seriously popular these days, which can only drive the price down (y)

And enough supercars are wrapped these days, it can't be all bad... can it??

You can fit a lot in a L3. This is our current layout

Can I ask, how did you draw that diagram?? Looks great!

OP
OP
Bengaz

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
I was planning on wrapping, but been put off by others that have had it done. So instead I'll spray. I like the matt red on this years Ferrari F1, but suspect I'll be veto'd by the missus :D

I was looking earlier today for something around 2015 with reasonable miles. L3 seemed around £8-9k. L4, nearer £12k.

View attachment 300457
The next one will be very similar as this works for us and the dog who has his own bed under my bed. Not that he uses it :D

We have nieces and nephews who all want to come away in the van, and were planning on having a spare bed across the front seats. But now going to build a roof tent that can be accessed from inside. This will mean the solar panels angle which is a bonus.
I like the idea of some kind of front beds too for couple kids. Thinking the L4. Might just have to wait a year. We have a moho at the moment that we will sell. 2015 Chausson welcome 610.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Have you priced vinyl wrapping it versus spraying it?

I don't know what the cost of either is, but wraps are becoming seriously popular these days, which can only drive the price down (y)

Not completely dismissed the idea yet, but I asked the question on a different forum recently and a few that have had it done regretted it after a few years.

I think spraying might be better for us as I can do it myself.

Can I ask, how did you draw that diagram?? Looks great!

I used SketchUp (free version). Bit of a steep learning curve to start with, but great for planning a van on 3D. Loads of tutorials on YouTube.

OP
OP
Bengaz

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
I have an L4 and usually have to look for two spaces, one in front of the other ... if you can find a space where the rear end can overhang grass etc then either are not too bad in a single space, though they will still stick out a bit at the front!
I usually do that with my moho at the minute but need space at the side also which is a pain.

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
I can't decide the pros and cons of a 6m or 6.4m van conversion (Citroen, fiat etc)

The length difference is all in the space between the rear wheel-arches and the rear door pillars (wheelbase of the 6m & 6.4m is the same). If you've got a transverse bed at the back, it probably doesn't mean much apart from the extra 400mm of living space, but if you were thinking of a shower or toilet there, the wheel-arches on the 6m would be really intrusive.

The distance from the rear doors to the B pillars is about 3.6m on the 6m vans and about 4m on the 6.4m vans. Can you fit everything you want within 3.6m?

There seemed to be some quite well priced, pre-registered, Ducato vans around on Autotrader a couple of weeks ago in what I would call 'converter's spec' (2 seats, passenger air bag, no bulkhead, etc.) - worth a look if you were considering a new van.

OP
OP
Bengaz

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
I've a 6m Boxer PVC and we don't fit in a regular parking bay (length wise I mean) and always overhang. So a L4 base won't make any difference as you still won't fit :rolleyes: So next time round, I'll be buying a longer base!
Where would you gain/use the extra space you think?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Where are the travel seats for the sprogs? :confused:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi, although I may be waiting an eternity for a new (coloured) van order due to serious backlogs I cant decide on van length and was wondering if anyone had same thoughts when planning a conversion.
I would like a fixed rear bed, transversely mounted with storage under.
I can't decide the pros and cons of a 6m or 6.4m van conversion (Citroen, fiat etc).
I have a moho ATM its only 6.7m, but hate the width of it driving round the lakes most of the time.
The length doesn't really bother me driving but its still too long to park in most places.
Will I gain much interior usage from the extra 400mm or so?

Hope this makes sense(n)
Having had a 6m and now two 6.36m PVCs I'd go for 6.36m anytime as the extra space and storage it gives far outweigh any possible parking restrictions due to the extra length. One thing to consider though is do you want a transverse bed or would you prefer singles? We have had the former but now have the latter which we much prefer.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Where are the travel seats for the sprogs? :confused:

That would be far too convenient :D

This way one of their parents have to drop them off/pick them up. No staying the whole summer holidays ;)

Anyway, no room for extra seat.

Tbh the "loft" idea came about so we could angle the solar and extend the months of solar dependency. Then we realised how nice it would be to have the extra room to chill in.

Once made it will be 3m long x 1.5m wide - quite a good size room. It was originally designed for a L4, so we will now lose the front Heki, but this is the idea:
New-Roof-Plan.jpg

Roof-Tent-1.0.jpg

Against our bathroom will be a ladder that canter-levers out 10cm and a hatch in the roof to access.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I vinyl wrapped mine (badly). The 1st couple of panels was a learning experience. By the time I was doing the last panel I had got to grips with it.
Much easier if there are two people...

I would vinyl wrap again...

Currently looking at Luton vans. Was going for a large 7.5T truck but realised I would be preventing myself going to some places I love..

With a luton I can have the bed in the Luton with a sofa underneath to aid climbing up. This leaves a very large very square box to build the rest in.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Any good?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I vinyl wrapped mine (badly). The 1st couple of panels was a learning experience. By the time I was doing the last panel I had got to grips with it.
Much easier if there are two people...

I would vinyl wrap again...

Currently looking at Luton vans. Was going for a large 7.5T truck but realised I would be preventing myself going to some places I love..

With a luton I can have the bed in the Luton with a sofa underneath to aid climbing up. This leaves a very large very square box to build the rest in.
What about a bunk bed type sofa set-up across the front of the camper which would allow you to extend the luton bed over the upper bunk so you could have a nice roomy one for when you get 'lucky'? :p

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
why don't people who self build use pull outs to give them the extra space when 'parked up'. if youre competent enough to self build, would a rear bed pull or side kitchen/lounge pull out be that much more difficult to add? or is it mega bucks and complicated?

at the Peterborough show we saw a few pcv's with pull outs, so the manufacturers have seemed to think its worth doing

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
For a more challenging concept go for shorter & build a rear slide-out. How hard can it be? :D

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
What about a bunk bed type sofa set-up across the front of the camper which would allow you to extend the luton bed over the upper bunk so you could have a nice roomy one for when you get 'lucky'? :p
Can't quite picture what you mean sorry. However, I don't get lucky so it is not a consideration. A straight forward double is all I will be building in. Got by on a single for the last 10 years and just fancy a few extra inches width now.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My cousin did a roof room like yours, on a rather larger van years back. Had a single and double bed up there. Much easier and cheaper than slideouts.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
th.jpeg.jpg
For a more challenging concept go for shorter & build a rear slide-out. How hard can it be? :D
There are pics on the net somewhere of a vw built like that. Its blue from memory

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010

View attachment 300457

Those are the same price as now despite being 3 years older.

Loads of rubbish out there too even on 10k +vat vans!

Still looking!

Cheers James

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back