Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Great piccies Ken!

Where were you camped to get the views of Mam Tor?

We love it there but, typically, it's only a few miles from "home base" so we forget to go!!!:Sad:

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Far field CL just above Hope £10 a night with leccie. :thumb: 3 hardstandings or in a small field where we were. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Thanks Ken!

We've usually stayed on the Edale side of the "shivering mountain"! Either Coopers Farm in the centre of Edale or one of the others in the valley.

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Sheep still hanging around at Hollins Cross but they didn't get our sarnies. :Eeek:

We hope to go to Edale next visit. :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I notice that you use sticks. These have become very common in the last decade. First it was one, and now the manufacturers of these sticks tell that two is twice as good, well they would wouldn't they? ::bigsmile:

We do a lot of walking and I have used an old thumb-stick in the past, especially when we have small streams to ford, but I find it just got in the way (of the photography) Now on the hills, and on level walks, it appears everyone has two of these sticks. Why do you have them? What is the benefit? Thanks

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I often take a telescopic monopod with me on a walk - helps with the dodgy knee and help with keeping the camera steady :Smile:

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Nice pics Ken, thanks. I used to love the view from the road below Mam Tor across to Castleton at Christmas after dark. The traders always used to put Xmas trees covered in lights outside their shops, all down the High Street - lovely.

With regard to poles Jim, I use one, Kay two and to be honest, I'm not sure I'd be able to walk some of the routes I do without them, especially coming downhill. We came off Cadair last weekend by a fairly tortuous route, having gone up a via a rock route and my knees were really hurting. I was able to put a lot of weight on the stick and it helped big time. On the flat or uphill you seem to be able to get a push from the sticks which helps considerably. I wouldn't be without them now.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
A friend who is an ex army PTI says that walking with 2 poles is better from an exercise point of view, as using both arms and legs works the cardiovascular system more than just walking.

I sure as hell aint gonner argue with him.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I notice that you use sticks. These have become very common in the last decade. First it was one, and now the manufacturers of these sticks tell that two is twice as good, well they would wouldn't they? ::bigsmile:

We do a lot of walking and I have used an old thumb-stick in the past, especially when we have small streams to ford, but I find it just got in the way (of the photography) Now on the hills, and on level walks, it appears everyone has two of these sticks. Why do you have them? What is the benefit? Thanks

I don't Jim, Steph uses them as she has a dodgy knee at times. Must admit tho they are a godsend when coming down a steep, slippery and rocky hill. :thumb: I have a Manfrotto monopod which doubles up as a walking pole when I feel the need. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Nice pics Ken, thanks. I used to love the view from the road below Mam Tor across to Castleton at Christmas after dark. The traders always used to put Xmas trees covered in lights outside their shops, all down the High Street - lovely.

With regard to poles Jim, I use one, Kay two and to be honest, I'm not sure I'd be able to walk some of the routes I do without them, especially coming downhill. We came off Cadair last weekend by a fairly tortuous route, having gone up a via a rock route and my knees were really hurting. I was able to put a lot of weight on the stick and it helped big time. On the flat or uphill you seem to be able to get a push from the sticks which helps considerably. I wouldn't be without them now.

Yep Castleton is known as the Christmas Town. We tried to book for Chrissie n New Year but couldn't get in so it's Settle instead. :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back