AA rip off, abuse advice needed. (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Ok following on from my windscreen thread and you may of guessed i am in a bad mood today, any one want to help/offer advice on dealing with this one.

When my windscreen went bang I contacted safeguard emergency services from france on my iphone (mr Shiftzz) at great cost. when you ring the emergency number it is picked up by the AA, they took my details and tried to help me, the only help they could give me was to give me by text autoglasses phone number.

I then received approx 5 junk texts from the AA whilst abroad informing me of complete and utter rubbish, ie cheap home insurance etc.

Problem is this costs me 58p per text to receive as I did not have data roaming thingy,

what should I do or ask for in compensation?

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Did you ever consider getting a French sim card, very often a a card can be bought for the air time an the card, this means that the card is free, of course you need A freed off phone to take a alternative service providers card.

It does not help with your present problem but it would help in the future.

Doug..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We are with O2 on contract and when we go abroad we phone them a week before and get a euro package which costs about £3 per month and then everything is the same price as if in UK including Broadband via mobile

Son in law went to Zimbabwee for a fortnight and did the same and texts came off our monthly free quota at 3 for 1 and phone calls were .89 incoming and £1.89 for outgoing calls as we never ever use all the texts it didn't cost anything.

Complain to the AA - surely they are unsolicited calls

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Thing first thing you should do is text back "STOP" to them and that should stop any further texts and then phone them to demand recompence::bigsmile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Problem is this costs me 58p per text to receive as I did not have data roaming thingy,

what should I do or ask for in compensation?
Depends what you want compensation for, £2-90 not a kings ransom. Personally I would put it down to a learning experience towards my next trip then I would get on with my life. You got your problems resolved be grateful. It is a sunny Thursday morning, you are in good health and the birds are singing. What more do you want to achieve.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
I'm not being funny here but do you not realise that it is precisely this type of apathy that the british government/industry rely on to get away with things??

If we were more like America and complain more often we would not now be living in "RIP OFF BRITAIN"

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Depends what you want compensation for, £2-90 not a kings ransom. Personally I would put it down to a learning experience towards my next trip then I would get on with my life. You got your problems resolved be grateful. It is a sunny Thursday morning, you are in good health and the birds are singing. What more do you want to achieve.

Ok, so just do nothing and allow them to continue to rip off Joe public without making so much as a fuss? Your right about the money, and I suppose thinking about it, that is not the issue. Its more about how can companies think they can behave in this way and get away with it?
I might not change things but the fact I will stand up against it will give me my own gratification if nothing else, however if others stood up as well instead of adopting your apathetic attitude then things would change.

I'm not being funny here but do you not realise that it is precisely this type of apathy that the british government/industry rely on to get away with things??

If we were more like America and complain more often we would not now be living in "RIP OFF BRITAIN"

Thanks, I thought I was going mad for a moment, your reply is exactly what I am talking about,

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
it will give me my own gratification

if others stood up as well instead of adopting your apathetic attitude then things would change.

[FONT=&quot]If you are doing it for your own gratification that’s fine.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]My apathetic attitude? Speaking as one of the only members on this site that achieved a brand new replacement £40k vehicle after 6 months of use I can endorse the need to complain if you have a genuine grievance. :Smile:[/FONT]

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Haggers

Sorry to hear about your problems in France. I would definatley be writing to the AA complaining about the treatment that you have recieved. I would be asking for compensation and a formal apology. Now that your back in the uk a few telephone calls and emails wouldn't go amiss.

The other valid point is your not old enough to getting bitter and twisted so chill out a bit, the AA arent ar$ed.

Hope all go's well.

PS: Dump the IPHONE.

Jim
:Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Couple of points here.

The AA do have a right to send texts because of the customer relationship established but to comply with the Data Protection Act they should offer you the chance to prevent them from doing so. That could be by texting back STOP as mentioned earlier but may depend on whatever options were offered/acted on when the policy was taken out with Safeguard. You should contact Safeguard and the AA and say that you do not want any marketing texts in future.

The AA will have received nothing from the charges for the texts, those being levied by your phone company. You should contact the company and see if there is an alternative tariff which means you don't get charged for texts and/or any way of rejecting any texts you don't want in order to avoid charges.

Not a case of rip off Britain at all, the (multi-national) phone companies levy these roaming charges on customers from other countries as well.

Graham

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Couple of points here.

The AA do have a right to send texts because of the customer relationship established but to comply with the Data Protection Act they should offer you the chance to prevent them from doing so. That could be by texting back STOP as mentioned earlier but may depend on whatever options were offered/acted on when the policy was taken out with Safeguard. You should contact Safeguard and the AA and say that you do not want any marketing texts in future.

The AA will have received nothing from the charges for the texts, those being levied by your phone company. You should contact the company and see if there is an alternative tariff which means you don't get charged for texts and/or any way of rejecting any texts you don't want in order to avoid charges.

Not a case of rip off Britain at all, the (multi-national) phone companies levy these roaming charges on customers from other countries as well.

Graham

A good point Graham, but my argument is this.

1) I am not or at least had no idea I was a member. I have breakdown cover with my insurance company and they happen to use the AA. I honestly did not know this.

2) yes I had an option to text stop to the AA but from France this would cost me £0.54

3) Buttons, yes I do believe I have a genuine reason to complain and be it 40p or 40k would make no difference. Jim, Im not bitter and twisted, (just yet) ::bigsmile: and aways complain with passion, and dignity, I see too much major crap to worry about it in my every day life..

AND FINALLY-----

Obviously the AA are slightly embarrased about there actions as they have offered me a £20 M&S gift Voucher.
So to those that say live with it its only a small amount, I say don't be nice, be fair, be honest and if your right, you get results.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A good point Graham, but my argument is this.

1) I am not or at least had no idea I was a member. I have breakdown cover with my insurance company and they happen to use the AA. I honestly did not know this.

I don't doubt you Paul. Perhaps worth double checking the policy documentation and pointing out to Safeguard that they have a duty under DPA to make sure you have full marketing opt-out facilities up front.

Obviously the AA are slightly embarrased about there actions as they have offered me a £20 M&S gift Voucher.
So to those that say live with it its only a small amount, I say don't be nice, be fair, be honest and if your right, you get results.

Nice result :Smile: Perhaps if you complain to Safeguard as well you might get another one ::bigsmile:

Graham

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
[FONT=&quot]Sounds like you have a few issues acting_strange.:Angry:[/FONT]

You are quite right, I'm not ashamed to stand up and say YES I do have a few issues with the way we are treated as consumers in this country.

We are constantly being ripped off by electricity companies, gas companies, music companies and this list would go on and on and on FACT!

Study history especially political and you will see precisely what I mean.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I agree Paul nothing worse than something being taken from you, stand up for what you think is right your a reasonable chap and should expect to be treated properly:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
You bought into hi tech phones now you pay:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have some perspex if you need it BTW.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back