Does anyone know the motorway through Rouen? (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi we always use the motorway from Dunkirk through Rouen down to Marboue BUT Tom Tom always takes us off the motorway, round the town and over the river before joining what seems to be the same motorway. It does the same thing on the way back! I have looked on Auto Route and a 2010 map but niether show clearly if the motorway runs straight through Rouen.

My question is, has anyone followed the motorway and does it save us the trouble of coming off and rejoining or do we have to follow Tom Tom?

Ginny

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

there is no motorway around or through Rouen ..

I hate the place and always try to avoid by going North of the town and crossing the river near St Maillier sur Seine .. where we usually stop for a night on the aire .. or at the one in Honfleur

Plan your route on Via Michelin, it has extremely clear mapping .. best in my opinion

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> Does anyone know the motorway through Rouen?

Not sure, but you hum it and then I'll play along.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Don't take the underpasses in Rouen, Low headroom:Eeek:

Too Late !!!!! We went under the underpass in the spring of 2009 - followed by DShague! he had the sense to duck out before the bridge, we just ducked!!!! Thankfully we had 1 inch to spare - exactly - and lived to breathe a sigh of relief!

Ginny

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
remember it well .i was following you and you went down that underpass like a bat out of hell .if brenda had not seen that warning marker over your van we would have lost our over cab .:ROFLMAO:
if you rember mike went left were tom tom said right and edgar following did turn to the right missing out the underpass and was sat in the cafe as we passed him by driving round ring road :ROFLMAO:
have a good time :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 30, 2010
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 772f Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2006
Hi
I've just returned from France and drove down through Rouen on a couple of occasions, I don't believe the motorway goes through it at all. I drove via my Tom Tom and on both occasions took me down and round to the right (not over the river) and out by the railway sidings/commercial area, coming back it brought me in alongside the Siene.
Going down the Tom Tom was set on limited speed no tolls.coming back it was set on fastest route non toll.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Like Jim, I too hate Rouen, I must have been through it over 20 times with and without navigators and I always seem to go a different way and or get lost.

Doug...

Castaway

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
Rouen is a horrible place to drive through, I wish 'they' would hurry up and build a proper motorway/bypass for it!

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
round the town we went

Hi
I've just returned from France and drove down through Rouen on a couple of occasions, I don't believe the motorway goes through it at all. I drove via my Tom Tom and on both occasions took me down and round to the right (not over the river) and out by the railway sidings/commercial area, coming back it brought me in alongside the Siene.
Going down the Tom Tom was set on limited speed no tolls.coming back it was set on fastest route non toll.

We had also to came back via the railway sidings and the river on the left, have done it bothways.. always getting lost, but so far have not come across the underpast.... plenty of traffic and I have heard the French giving me what for with there horns as I changed lanes to get in to the right one. I use a pioneer sat and that does get you through the horrid place OK if I follow the directions which I must admit I do not all the time.

Bob:thumb:

franbee

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
VW T5
Exp
Getting the hang of it now
We've done Rouen a few times too, going down seems ok, railway sidings etc, but coming back in May we got lost and ended up in the town centre. Someone has given me instructions how to avoid it altogether, if anyone wants, I'll look it out and post it.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I just remembered; there was one time I got so lost with a stupid navigator I had on a laptop that we ended up a couple of miles down stream of the town and crossed the river by ferry!!!!! It was a pretty run if not long-winded and the ferry was FREE!!!!

Doug...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
About 20 years ago , we got lost in Rouen , ended up going down some narrow cobbled back streets, and this was pulling a caravan ... as you can imagine, a nightmare !

Anyway, suddenly a cat ran out in front but was lucky to roll through below the car , last I saw was it running away .. we stopped to check all was ok, but were soon surrounded by irate French .. shouting and gesturing , I got the feeling they didn't like us :roflmto:

Ever since I've avoided Rouen like the plague

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I think you are right, it might not have been a motorway, but it was a large dual carriageway. On the way back it takes us off the road but over the top of the road just before we turn off, it signs to Abbeyville, which is more or less on the way home. That is why I wondered if we should stay on it!

Ginny

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Yep, we did the railway sidings lap of honour in June. Seems its a must see tourist destination. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim
:roflmto:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
We always went through Rouen (or the Ruin as we called it) on our way down to the Vendee.. first time we went wandering round Rouen and ended up near Elbouf never found this low underpass though!!.. coming back we missed the turning for Abbeyville and Calais but skirted the town but we found a garage with really cheap diesel so Bonus!!second time heading down to Spain we came off a turning too early but got back on line fairly easilywithout going to Elbouef this time..coming back that time we actually found the sign for Calais and followed it back toward the A28 no probs

Third time we got it spot on found the turning for Evreaux and Chartres (I think it was those can't remember the road number though) and just trolleyed on through as just about ten minutes or so down the road there is a large car park on the right where we stopped for a brew and a rest and across the road there is a large church cut into the hillside good for the piccies

Every time we went through Rouen we never found those low underpasses..Thankfully!!!

franbee

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
VW T5
Exp
Getting the hang of it now
Someone on another site said 'I think after ordering the direction signs for the town, they sent them for somewhere else, but they put them up anyway'.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi all,

Advice I've been given re Rouen, is to tag on behind a Spanish or Portugese registered truck, as those drivers know the route like the back of their hand. You'll just have to hope that they are not making a drop, or a pick up on the way through. :roflmto:

Cheers,

Jock.

P.S. That advice came from an experienced continental trucker.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Our problems in Rouen started when the Tom Tom said turn left but there was no left turn.:Doh:

Proceeded to drive around the back streets (in rush hour) until we came to a road with a left fork and a right fork. We kept left and the next thing we knew was a loud bang as we hit the overhead red warning sign for heiight restrictions. With about 1000 cars behind us we were commited to the underpass with walls on both sides. Fortunately we made it through without any further damage but it must have been close.

We were fine coming back though.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We kept left and the next thing we knew was a loud bang as we hit the overhead red warning sign for heiight restrictions. With about 1000 cars behind us we were commited to the underpass with walls on both sides. Fortunately we made it through without any further damage but it must have been close.
Gordon Bennett! :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

Regards,

Jock.

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
WISH i had read this before my June trip!:Doh:
Yes too true .. I was there in May and satnav sent me towards my doom :Eeek: luckily the warning barrier woke me up ..... reversing back to the escape gap on a busy Saturday made me very popular with our French cousin's too :ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it is not that hard really

If when you come out of the long tunnel on the - Tunnel De La Grand Mare i.e on the N28 (D6028) - you will be on the A28 / E402 the road is the voie E De Rouen keep in the right hand lane and follow the signs for Evreux, Dreux and Chartres .. you swing off to the right and go down and under the A28 on to the Rue Du Valid Eauplet which in turn becomes the Rue De La Republique... if you cross the bridge over the first two rivers take the first exit off and again swing under the A28 and this will save you getting in to the middle of Rouen.

The Rue De La Republique is the D6015, N15 and passes near to Bonsecours Le Mesnil-Esnard..you should have the river on your right hand side... if you do go over the two bridges you can run down between the river and the railway yards.. the TOM TOM should pick up the route OK.

I suggest you have a look at Google Map and you can see where you have to go from the long tunnel on the way in to Rouen.. it is fairly clear.

Just try to keep the river to your right until you start to leave the town behind .. the A154 is clearly posted and you will head South if you follow the signs as mentioned above.

Bob:Eeek:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We came through Ruen a year or two back when we were tuggers, never again I do not think both wheels of caravan were ever both on road together. I suppose they could have re-surfaced it but very doubtful

Alan

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I really don't understand the problem TBH? We have never had a prob and never been down this tunnel (the low one - we always go through the Grand Mare one!) but nobody, just nobody has mentioned the archetypal French landmark ie the really really old Bar (been closed at least 10 years I reckon!) on the LH side of the railway siding road, immediately before an equally old level crossing - with the really really old Stella Artois sign!!!! That little darlin has been there I think since the late 1960's !!!!! And you have to look for it, it is an integral part of a holiday in la belle France .....

And what about the cows on the roundabout? Always there, reliable as you like, come rain or shine!

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Too Late !!!!! We went under the underpass in the spring of 2009 - followed by DShague! he had the sense to duck out before the bridge, we just ducked!!!! Thankfully we had 1 inch to spare - exactly - and lived to breathe a sigh of relief!

Ginny
Same thing happened to us summer 09 in our other van, a detour took us that way with no warning of the low bridge, traffic was fast with no time to change your mind.... I ducked :Doh::Doh: n slid down low in my seat (no help I know but you do strange things when faced with something like that) thankfully John kept his head ( haha no pun intended) but we swore NEVER NEVER again will we travel there

Kath

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back