South of France and Costa Brava (1 Viewer)

Mizar

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Just got back today from our 2500 mile round trip to south of france and Costa Brava, fantastic only been home a couple of hours and planning next years.
We did not plan on spain but has we were so close we said we would drive over the border so we could say we had driven to spain. found a great resort called Roses very French and alot cheaper than france and fantastic site in the centre of the resort and what must be one of the best beaches i have been to on the Med.

This is only our second trip to france in the motorhome we went to disney and northern france at easter why we did not do it years ago i dont know no more planes for us.

Thinking of Belgium and Germany at christmas too

Ged, Julia, Calum and Oliver

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
we went away for a week at the begining of August. was going to do south coast of Uk but weather so bad and we were near Dover so just hopped on the ferry (norfolkline) and spent a week around the coast. We figured would have to pay around £20 a night for sites in UK whereas we stayed in Aires in France so no different really in overall costs, but weather was a bit better and it was more interesting in france. Came home feeling like we'd been away for ages.
Luckily I took passports but no site books so did it all on a wing & a prayer and took what we could find.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I know what you mean

Just got back today from our 2500 mile round trip to south of france and Costa Brava, fantastic only been home a couple of hours and planning next years.
We did not plan on spain but has we were so close we said we would drive over the border so we could say we had driven to spain. found a great resort called Roses very French and alot cheaper than france and fantastic site in the centre of the resort and what must be one of the best beaches i have been to on the Med.

This is only our second trip to france in the motorhome we went to disney and northern france at easter why we did not do it years ago i dont know no more planes for us.

I used to travel to the USA a couple times a year, cruised a lot (still like that) but taking the camper to France is far more relaxed and enjoyable. Less planes now.. and also now that the yanks want £8 for the Esta (another rip off) I think I will buy a bottle of wine with the £16 I save for the two of us.

Like you we are planning next Easter and the South of France...

Great place once you get up and go for the first time..recommended.

Bob:thumb:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
depends on length & height but always found Norfolk line to be cheapest.
About £50ish to come back but we booked one way out there in August way back in January and it was only £29!

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Ged etc.
I suggest you think carefully about Germany in the winter. They have a law that you must have winter tyres on your vehicle in the event of snow.

good luck

BobT

OP
OP
Mizar

Mizar

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Hi Ged etc.
I suggest you think carefully about Germany in the winter. They have a law that you must have winter tyres on your vehicle in the event of snow.

good luck

BobT

Thanks Bob i was not aware of that may wait till it warms up may just try Belgium as we fancy going to the christmas markets
Ged

Nov 26, 2007
Exeter
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2006
Roses

Hi Mizar,

Can you give me the name of the camp site in Roses that you stayed on,

Fisherman8

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We much prefer Spain to the South of France.

Roses is not one of my favourites but I can recommend the L'escala region which is slightly further south I think. We stayed at a lovely little site in June in a place called Montgo which is just outside L'escala. 150 euros for 3 of us for a week. 400m from a really lovely bay.

There are other bigger sites nearby but I haven't stayed in them.

OP
OP
Mizar

Mizar

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
We much prefer Spain to the South of France.

Roses is not one of my favourites but I can recommend the L'escala region which is slightly further south I think. We stayed at a lovely little site in June in a place called Montgo which is just outside L'escala. 150 euros for 3 of us for a week. 400m from a really lovely bay.

There are other bigger sites nearby but I haven't stayed in them.

We also stayed at Platja De Pals a site called Playa Brava great site direct beach access which is quite near L 'escala

Ged

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Camping cala montgo is where we stayed. Small site but very clean facilities. I should imagine it gets very busy though in the school holidays

There are 2 or 3 big sites just up the road. Las Dunas is one which is apparently very popular.

Lovely part of the world. Been going down there for several years in villas but first time motorhoming was June this year.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
We also stay at Roses camping Salata we love it there as well.
We usually stay beginning of the season May and again in October. Lots of British there and they do allow dogs, so we see the same people there everytime we go.
Showers are good as well and a bonus is we can get English TV:roflmto:

Lesley

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Hi Treacle

What's wrong with the British?
At least we can understand them. I like all variety's myself. Some are so funny. We watched a couple from Austria last time we were at Roses.
Every morning one at a time they done their stretching and exercising on the site. He went first and unrolled his mat, and she followed after he had finished. She didn't care at all, she had her a*se in the air for all to see. So funny to watch. It takes all kinds.

Lesley

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi all
In two weeks we'll be at camping-paradis, montgo, L'escala :thumb: :thumb:
Best in the region, we think and it has a great dive-school at the top of the site :thumb:
Almost never see any brits onsite, dunno why. Not complaining though :Cool:
Can't wait :thumb: :thumb:

cheers...nige

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi all
In two weeks we'll be at camping-paradis, montgo, L'escala :thumb: :thumb:
Best in the region, we think and it has a great dive-school at the top of the site :thumb:
Almost never see any brits onsite, dunno why. Not complaining though :Cool:
Can't wait :thumb: :thumb:

cheers...nige

Sounds great. I think that is the big site next to the one we stayed on.

Montgo beach is lovely isn't it? The storms a few years back spoilt it a bit though.

They run a little train from Montgo to St Marti where I like eating (and drinking)

Have fun.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi Treacle

What's wrong with the British?
At least we can understand them. I like all variety's myself. Some are so funny. We watched a couple from Austria last time we were at Roses.
Every morning one at a time they done their stretching and exercising on the site. He went first and unrolled his mat, and she followed after he had finished. She didn't care at all, she had her a*se in the air for all to see. So funny to watch. It takes all kinds.

Lesley

Nothing against the Brits Lesley. I just quite like to get away from them on holiday

Visited L'estardit about 3 years ago for the day. Couldn't wait to get away.

Full of the tatoo brigade.

Spent 2 weeks in St Ives this summer and there were far too many Brits. Spain again next year.

OP
OP
Mizar

Mizar

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
That's why I don't like it I'm afraid:winky:

When we were there 20th-23rd of August there where 2 other british families on 1 in a tent and 1 in a motorhome and the resort was very french but a whole lot cheaper than france thats why we liked it did not want anything too english.

Ged

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

Germany is wonderfull
i flew in to Berlin hired a MH and drove down to Munick looking to buy a MH lots of great places to wilde camp good campping grounds in germany
go for it you will have a wonderfull time
enjoy and keep us all uptodate with how you get on

we are off to france this weekend for 2 weeks :thumb:

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008

Can't be sure but I think you may have passed us on the motorway in France the other day! It was the only Ci that passed us all holiday and we were ooing and aaring as yours is the ONE WE WANT!! :ROFLMAO:

julie1

Free Member
Aug 26, 2010
Rossendale, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One

Sounds lovely, we're off to S.E. France and N.E Spain towards end of September. Any Tips? Did you wildcamp at all? Have you any more details on campsite at Roses?
Julie and Howard

OP
OP
Mizar

Mizar

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Can't be sure but I think you may have passed us on the motorway in France the other day! It was the only Ci that passed us all holiday and we were ooing and aaring as yours is the ONE WE WANT!! :ROFLMAO:
Maybe so we did not see another either thats one of the reasons we like ours there is not very many around and its a bit of a headturner with the shape of the luton front end.

we kept flying the motorhome fun flag but did not meet anyone

Ged

OP
OP
Mizar

Mizar

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Sounds lovely, we're off to S.E. France and N.E Spain towards end of September. Any Tips? Did you wildcamp at all? Have you any more details on campsite at Roses?
Julie and Howard

Julie you will love it i have put a link on some earlier posts on this thread to the site at Roses great location and great toilets shop etc.

We did a little wild camping we stayed in the Mariner at Port Barcares and also on sea front there with a few other vans, we also stayed at an Aire about 2 miles off the Autoroute south of Orleans next to a little canal basin in a lovely little village it said 3 vans in the aires book we counted 27 when we left the following morning this was free and no charge for the water and waste either.

Ged

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back