Securing web access for kids. (1 Viewer)

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I have just set up an OpenDNS account on our local network after looking at ways to filter Internet content on our wireless network at home.

Well chuffed so far.And Very Affordable.

Seems to give me the control and filtering capability I am after.

Not ISP Dependent either...

So Far So Good.

Link Removed

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Thank goodness do not have that worry. My daughter is now 41 and knows more about computers than I do.

With her still living at home she sorts us out.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

mikamada

Free Member
Apr 12, 2009
Funster No
Crack of Open DNS

From what I understand of Open DNS the use of a proxy will bypass the Open DNS filtering server.

It is a long time that I have looked at OpenDNS but so it may have changed.

Remember, if you try to put controls on the internet there is always one bright spark out there who will work at finding an avoidance..... and kids are great at finding the information

see: Link Removed

or google "crack OpenDNS"

:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
From what I understand of Open DNS the use of a proxy will bypass the Open DNS filtering server.

It is a long time that I have looked at OpenDNS but so it may have changed.

Remember, if you try to put controls on the internet there is always one bright spark out there who will work at finding an avoidance..... and kids are great at finding the information

see: Link Removed

or google "crack OpenDNS"

:Smile:

Aha seen the use of proxies before when I worked in a Large school..

As you say there is always someone trying to find a way around the system.

From what I see the use of proxies is blocked by the software...I can always add the sites for those that regularly change....

We can only do so much to protect them....Otherwise obsession takes over...

vicky

Free Member
Aug 30, 2010
Funster No
OpenDNS and 8snaps

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]I agree American Dream.

These are the two systems you should use together. Both are FREE !!) tools that are very complimentary and I believe are must have for anyone with kids using computers.
1. OpenDNS for blocking sites - to DETER issues
2. 8snaps.com for taking snaps of your kids screen - to DETECT issues

The first one works as a proactive filter to stop bad sites, the second one takes pictures of the screen and lets you see what is happening on the other computer. And it also stores the pictures so if you cant see it Live, you can play it back later.

[/FONT]

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]I agree American Dream.

These are the two systems you should use together. Both are FREE !!) tools that are very complimentary and I believe are must have for anyone with kids using computers.
1. OpenDNS for blocking sites - to DETER issues
2. 8snaps.com for taking snaps of your kids screen - to DETECT issues

The first one works as a proactive filter to stop bad sites, the second one takes pictures of the screen and lets you see what is happening on the other computer. And it also stores the pictures so if you cant see it Live, you can play it back later.

[/FONT]

Of course the first one you should use, and that is TOTALLY FREE, is that of talking to your kids, explaining things to them, demonstrating that you trust them. Allowing them to have a say in what they do and see but show them that you are there for them when you need to be.

When you allow mistrust to develop, via things like internet nannying, thats when they will do things behind your back and THATS when bad things can happen.

I didn't block access for my children but I did sit and explain what bad people/things COULD be out there. My eldest daughter did want to meet with someone from a chat room, but she told me about it and agreed for her parents to be there when she met him, she was only 13/14 at the time.This was because she new that we had taken the trouble to talk and listen. She is now 27 and happily married, to someone she met on the internet.

I'm not ranting, I'm not trying to tell anyone how to raise their children but I am saying there can be better alternatives

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back