Aires Electrical. (1 Viewer)

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No
Hi all, are the electrical connections standard on Aires if not which adaptor is best.Also which is the best English guide to them?
Cheers Paul.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi all, are the electrical connections standard on Aires if not which adaptor is best.Also which is the best English guide to them?
Cheers Paul.

Hi Paul

I've visited dozens of aires and only ever seen the standard 16A blue socket ... bear in mind , not all aires have EHU

you may find the euro two pin on some of the older French camp sites

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
If you have one of these 16amp blue plugs on the end of your electrical cable .....(that is fine as they use this Type)

Link Removed

All you would need to buy is one of these european plugs (two pin and earth plug) with a blue 16amp socket to take your plug and that will do you......(then this type of short connection with the two fittings on to alter it to the two pin and earth european)

Link Removed

These are the two types most commonly sockets used on Aires...in fact all over France..also campsites...

Mel:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
you may find the euro two pin on some of the older French camp sites

What do you mean by the euro 2 pin?

I am well aware of the German Shucko 2 pin (earth strips down the side) and the French 2 pin (hole in plug to accept earth pin on socket).

Which of these are you referring to? Presumably the French 2 pin as the Shucko plug is rarely seen in France.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

I am well aware of the German Shucko 2 pin (earth strips down the side) and the French 2 pin (hole in plug to accept earth pin on socket).

Which of these are you referring to? Presumably the French 2 pin as the Shucko plug is rarely seen in France.

excuse my mistake..

yes, the FRENCH TWO PIN

I've never seen it on an aire .. but Mel has more experience

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Paul,
IMO, the best English language guide to Aires in France is "All the Aires", published by Vicarious Books www.vicariousbooks.co.uk.

Enjoy your trip,

BobT

It may not have "ALL" the Aires in France as some people will say on this forum, but is one of the best Aires books and in English, and everybody WE meet (English) have it and use it well, what you must remember it was published in 2007 and I think updated in 2008, and there are new Aires not in it , also Aires updated and removed ....The best about it is you do not have to go onto a computer to look at it is still one of the best books for you, as BOB has said....

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

You can get a plug with the earth hole (French) and the side strips (German) which will fit both. Unfortunately I can't remember where I got mine many years ago. You are right in that the side strip one is not found much now, though I did find some in E.Germany a few years back.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
excuse my mistake..

yes, the FRENCH TWO PIN

I've never seen it on an aire .. but Mel has more experience

Jim..... yes it is used a lot on smaller Aires......the Aire at La Suze sur Sarthe is just one of many Aires...but it also had the blue 16amp socket on the Borne near the water...but not in the compound round the back where the aire is supposed to be, it was the two pin and a bank of four...also the aire at Ondres plage there was two banks of 6... just below cap Bretton and many more
it is the common plug in France

Bouncer123

Free Member
Aug 22, 2009
The New Forest
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
6 years
well, it may be an English guide,.. but it's far from being ALL the aires

IMO the French guides are better.. albeit you need to learn a dozen or so words of French
Hi ScotJimland, as always your advice is very welcome! Please could you let me have the title and publisher of the French Aires book, and where we could get hold of it. The Vicarious Books one is very good, but not all the co-ordinates are correct, as we found to our cost when husband insisted on following sat nav down a canal bank while wifey was screaming in the next seat 'It's not that way!' Long terming soon so Aires book will come in very handy! Thankyou, Bouncer123:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi ScotJimland, as always your advice is very welcome! Please could you let me have the title and publisher of the French Aires book, and where we could get hold of it. The Vicarious Books one is very good, but not all the co-ordinates are correct, as we found to our cost when husband insisted on following sat nav down a canal bank while wifey was screaming in the next seat 'It's not that way!' Long terming soon so Aires book will come in very handy! Thankyou, Bouncer123:thumb:

Hi

It is only my opinion about the book, others may disagree , however, IMO the most up to date and accurate is the camping car infos site http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

You can download the Aires POIs for the Sat Nav and purchase a USB stick with the complete listings.

For books we usually wait till we get to France then buy the most up to date aires book available, sold in most supermarkets / news agents

The one I like is The Aires de Service Camping-Car

hope that helps

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Hi Bouncer
The French book, ...which I think you are asking about or the one Jim is referring to is the one we all use over here in France (it is nick named the white book) due to the colour of its exterior cover...it is called......"Le-Guide National Des ARIES DE SERVICES camping -cars"...and you can buy this also from vicarious books at Folkstone UK.....but beware they go very fast in the Uk and France....and to be correct you should have a new one every year as many of the aires are deleted/not in and many new aires are entered.. they have to pay before print to advertize the aire.. no pay.. no entry in the book ...it is annual book produced by Guides Lariviere and Le Monde du Camping-Car...(the motorhome magazine in France).......

it is cheaper than "all the aires in france book"

http://www.vicarious-shop.com/product.php?productid=73&cat=1&page=1

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
(Scotjimland...For books we usually wait till we get to France then buy the most up to date aires book available, sold in most supermarkets / news agents

The one I like is The Aires de Service Camping-Car)

Jim.
That is if you can get one when you want one :Angry:...we have a terrible time over when they come out:Angry:..... so we order ours from Vicarious books in the UK online and have it delivered to France....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back