Generators and reverse polarity (1 Viewer)

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Can any one help, on our Auto trail when using the generator the reverse polarity light illuminates on the CPU (PSU2007). The generator supplier has advised us to make up a short lead linking the earth terminal to the neutral terminal, is this safe to do and not damage anything on the vehicle. as\we shall be away this week end and will have no electric hookup. Reading the FAQ on Sargents site we are told to look in the generator handbook but we do not have a handbook therefore we rang the generator company,. We do not want to receive an electric shock from appliance's if we have to use the generator

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi , this is an old chestnut...

The reason the reverse polarity light is on when running the genny is because the genny isn't grounded to the van nor to earth

You will come to no harm, nor will it damage the vans electrics.. don't link out the earth and neutral ..

If you are really concerned you could bond the genny to the van, there should be an earth tag on the genny for that purpose and you could use a strong croc clip to connect to the van chassis .. personally I have never bothered..

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi , this is an old chestnut...

The reason the reverse polarity light is on when running the genny is because the genny isn't grounded to the van nor to earth

You will come to no harm, nor will it damage the vans electrics.. don't link out the earth and neutral ..

If you are really concerned you could bond the genny to the van, there should be an earth tag on the genny for that purpose and you could use a strong croc clip to connect to the van chassis .. personally I have never bothered..

I wouldn't bother either. I lived in a house for half of my life that had on earth wiring at all. Have lived for years with a generator in a caravan on a site with no problems.

If you connect your earth and neutral you will trip any safety cut outs in your van. As Jim says if you feel you need to, earth the generators body to the van chassis.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back