Free Member
Aug 22, 2009
east sussex
Funster No
MH
soon to be RV
Exp
New But have had carravans
Ello everyone I am looking to purchase an rv shortly to go full timing was thinking of 30ft with slide .any advice would be welcome we have spent 3months in caravan 5 years ago .But this is much more exiting and slightly worrying at the same time but cant wait.

White Eagle And Little Bear

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Type of unit?

Ello everyone I am looking to purchase an rv shortly to go full timing was thinking of 30ft with slide .any advice would be welcome we have spent 3months in caravan 5 years ago .But this is much more exiting and slightly worrying at the same time but cant wait.

I along with a number of others have a 5th wheeler - excellent along with transport a Nissan Navara , we full time and having had a variety of Euro m/h. along with cars or bikes on trailers i would recommend the 5ver route ps. it has slide outs Al.

OP
OP
K

Kenny and Dolly

Free Member
Aug 22, 2009
east sussex
Funster No
MH
soon to be RV
Exp
New But have had carravans
What 5th wheeler

which model make etc have you got have thought about these do you have any problems with sites etc is your nissan ok pulling etc.

cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi, I think 30ft is a good shout, you'll have plenty of space when your cooped up inside in winter or bad weather and 30ft won't restrict you too much, (if at all) when touring. Sounds like you have exciting times ahead. Lots of fulltimer experience here, just shout when you have a question,:Smile: meanwhile welcome to the fun:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But this is much more exiting and slightly worrying at the same time but cant wait.

Good that you recognise this, it does not work for everyone. Make sure you have a good Plan B just in case. At least for a while.

But you've got to try now otherwise you'll be kicking yourself for the rest of your life.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We are fulltiming in a 5'er - we have just completed 2 years full timing - our unit is 27ft with a 12ft slide and for the two of us we find is stacks of room - the bigger you go the more you have to pull about and the bigger the tug you need to use. It is very much about personal preferences - our feelings are that we can happily live with one vehicle - one tax and insurance etc. a euro tug is easy to park in most situations. As far as sites go we mostly use CS & CL sites and seldom if ever get refusals the main problems are with the larger sites who seem to have a down on 5th wheels we us the Big Pitch Guide for areas that we don't know but once there we can research CLs and have built up our own sites list that we can use. Don't forget if you go bigger you will need to heat it in the winter unless you plan on becoming a snow bird

There are some very good threads on here read them and you will find most of your questions answered. Hilldwellers comments are very true .

Last edited:

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007

Hi.

Travel world have got a nice 30ft with a rear diesel engine ,looks a really nice :starter rv without spending to much money.:thumb:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Good that you recognise this, it does not work for everyone. Make sure you have a good Plan B just in case. At least for a while.

But you've got to try now otherwise you'll be kicking yourself for the rest of your life.

Our thoughts exactly, especially the last bit, two years (maybe a little less) and counting:thumb:

As Jim said, 30ft a good plan and with a slide more room. Our 'plan' centers around our current 28ft Winne, no slide, and we find we have all the room and comfort we need, certainly at present but later, well a slide it'll be and as others have said, a 5ver is definatly a good option.

Have fun:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Regarding size

Much depends on what kind of full time you intend to do .. are you planning a lot of touring, visiting many counties with short stays on many sites or having long stays on a few sites each year ..

If the former I would advise to have as small a motorhome as you can comfortably live in , the bigger it is the more it will cost in fuel, the fewer places you can visit and sites you can use ..

If the latter then get as big as you want bearing in mind the reduced number of sites you can use ..

We full timed for three years with a 36ft RV. We were a family of four so anything smaller would have been a nightmare, it was a great bus to live in but many a time I wished it were 10 ft shorter .. you don't need a big RV if your planning on wintering in southern Europe.. we met many full timers in 'normal' sized motorhomes.

There is a lot to consider before making yourself 'homeless' .. have a good read on the full time forum then ask the questions

can I afford it, how will I support myself

if I don't like it , what exit plan is in place

how will you handle the legal side of having 'no fixed abode', officialdom like to keep tabs on you ..

at the end of the day, what will I do when we cannot or don't want to continue with that lifestlye

my advice.. don't sell up and make yourself homeless before giving it a trial of at least three years ... it is NOT a long holiday, it is a lifestyle that you will either adapt to and love or hate and wish you had never done.

As I said, we did it for three years but by that time had had enough of being gyspies , it gets very tiring having to continually move on, telling lies to your insurance company and the worry that if anything goes wrong .. you are on your own .. roots don't grow on the move..

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
That Scotjimland just about sums it up I reckon all the key points in one post - as they say the voice of experience

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
having a slide

. Our 'plan' centers around our current 28ft Winne, no slide, and we find we have all the room and comfort we need, certainly at present but later, well a slide it'll be and as others have said, a 5ver is definatly a good option.

Have fun:thumb:

Having had a non slide 30' and my present 23'9 Winnebago B class with a slide I can say for certain give me a slide any day. When I purchased the Winnibago for £28k last year (spent £12k getting it the way I want it) I had a barrel to choose from of non slides for the money. I even looked at slide and non slide at Dudleys on the same day. I compared them and boy what a differance it makes to have it even on my 23'9" ...

If you go to any of the shows.. speak to the owners as if you can have a look both slide and non slide and you will see what I mean. I would have loved to had a 30' with slide, but this one fits the drive and is good for me.

Like Dody said I would not m ind 5th wheeler one day, but it must have a quad cab yank to pull it to get me to change.

Good hunting

Bob:thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and welcome from us as well. The slide out in a unit is a boon, our first unit didnt have one and even though 26' long it felt small when the weather was against us, this one we have now has a small slide and its amazing the difference it makes, we dont full time but do longish holiday stints in europe as a rule

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back