Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
possibly a stupid question, but I just wanted to know before setting off...

does a motorhome count as a goods vehicle for the dartford crossing tolls, or just a large motor car? Mine is under 3.5 tonnes...

David

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Used to pi$$ me off daily as had a hugo van (small as a mini) and charge for a van daily. Was great for taking car vaaleting gear to Enfield Auction.

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi David,
I have a 3.5 ton, 6 metre motorhome and I have always been charged the standard car rate.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I dont recall paying anything but the standard fee when we came through with the mh in July.
Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Thanks for the feedback :thumb:

50p difference is not going to break the bank but it is always good to reduce the number of confusions as much as possible - I am going to be confused enough as it is :Eeek:

David

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Jim - that is where I looked. My confusion was only to understand how a motorhome was classified - car or goods vehicle, since there is no classification given for us specifically.

Thanks though

David

Your right and as I say I dont remeber being charged extra but its normally SWMBO who pays (LHD). I'd be interested to know what your charged after youve been through.
Jim
:Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
5.5 tons

possibly a stupid question, but I just wanted to know before setting off...

does a motorhome count as a goods vehicle for the dartford crossing tolls, or just a large motor car? Mine is under 3.5 tonnes...

David

Use it a lot living in Kent 25 miles from the bridge and tunnel. I have always only paid the car rate despite being 5.5 tons and pulling a trailer. I pay £1.50 .. remember at night after 10 p.m the tunnel and bridge is free regardless what you drive.

Bob

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Use it a lot living in Kent 25 miles from the bridge and tunnel. I have always only paid the car rate despite being 5.5 tons and pulling a trailer. I pay £1.50 .. remember at night after 10 p.m the tunnel and bridge is free regardless what you drive.

Bob

Might be useful to remember on the way home. On the way out we are driving down Wednesday lunch from Nottingham and staying over at the Canterbury P&R for a 6:40 sailing on thursday morning. I am sure passport control won't mind me driving in pyjamas ::bigsmile:

Any idea what the pub is like at the entrance to the car park?

David

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Always the standard car rate for our Autoquest when we've used it. Just in case of changes though we always have change ready to cover the higher charge.

That's something we do whenever we know we are going to have to pay a toll charge. Doesn't take much thinking about in advance and saves messing about at the booth.

Graham

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
just came through on Sat - 6.5mtr long, 3.5mtr high & 3500kg same charge as car - 10pm - 6am it's free!!

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
£1-50 same as a car get a Dart tag and it will cost a £1-00, after 10pm FREE:thumb: And if there is a lot of congestion zilch:ROFLMAO:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Might be useful to remember on the way home. On the way out we are driving down Wednesday lunch from Nottingham and staying over at the Canterbury P&R for a 6:40 sailing on thursday morning. I am sure passport control won't mind me driving in pyjamas ::bigsmile:

Any idea what the pub is like at the entrance to the car park?

David
Hi David,

Standard car toll for us at 5 Tonnes, the same as everyone else above.

Re the pub, they do serve good real ales and food, but we weren't impressed with the steaks. Now, we always jump on the P & R bus (every 8 minutes), and go into the city to wine and dine. There's a decent J D Wetherspoons. The last bus back is about 19.10 hrs leaving the large shopping centre, opposite the bus station. Don't validate your ticket until you are ready to leave the P & R, as the exit barrier may not open up if validated the day before, (talking from experience here. :winky:).

Have a great time.

Cheers,

Jock.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Hiya

Camper vans are classed as cars for the Tunnel. I have a dart tag that we use in the camper and it can also be used in the car.

Sonja

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
laneside

We have a 3500 transit and went through as a car but if I can avoid it in the future I will as we were nose to tail to get into the tunnel for at least an hour heading north. Do not remember such a tail back going over the bridge going south

Alan and Lynda

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Hi David,

Standard car toll for us at 5 Tonnes, the same as everyone else above.

Re the pub, they do serve good real ales and food, but we weren't impressed with the steaks. Now, we always jump on the P & R bus (every 8 minutes), and go into the city to wine and dine. There's a decent J D Wetherspoons. The last bus back is about 19.10 hrs leaving the large shopping centre, opposite the bus station. Don't validate your ticket until you are ready to leave the P & R, as the exit barrier may not open up if validated the day before, (talking from experience here. :winky:).

Have a great time.

Cheers,

Jock.

Thanks Jock - will have to see what time we get down there to see if it is worth going into town. But at least the pub sounds ok :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back