Do MH dealers deal (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
I am looking to buy a new or nearly new Frankia, Hymer or Carthago. Is it like buying a car where you can haggle a bit or do they just have a fixed price and would that be true or a van that you order to be built as well as one in stock.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Some will and some won't but I find you have to be in the showroom to get a good deal I got a very good deal on our new factory ordered Carthago with GMC

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I am sure that there are deals to be had BUT don't forget that you will need your dealer to sort out the inevitable warranty problems so you might want to factor into your deliberations the geographic location of your chosen dealer.

Some will tell you about pan Europeam warranty's but others have found that the reality does not fit the claims.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
There’s always a deal to be done. Try looking at prices of nearly New on the big German site, I’ve forgotten it’s name, that will give you a starting point for price. You will have to pay more in U.K. though especially if you want RHD.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I am sure that there are deals to be had BUT don't forget that you will need your dealer to sort out the inevitable warranty problems so you might want to factor into your deliberations the geographic location of your chosen dealer.

Some will tell you about pan Europeam warranty's but others have found that the reality does not fit the claims.

Martin
Yes, seeing that you live in Cumbria it would be a bit of a trek back and forth to a dealer on south coast.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
It depends on what they are selling and how much in demand it is. When we bought a Swift, new ordered off the production line we negotiated £5500 off, plus some extras at reduced price. Plus we got a really good trade in deal.
When we bought our one year old Hymer B544 we paid what they asked but the price was good and the trade in more than we expected. Other people were also after a B544 so they weren’t for reducing the price.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I am looking to buy a new or nearly new Frankia, Hymer or Carthago. Is it like buying a car where you can haggle a bit or do they just have a fixed price and would that be true or a van that you order to be built as well as one in stock.

Be assured..If you don't try to do a deal he will think you are a right soft touch/sucker. And if you give in too easy he'll think the same

They all say we don't deal, the windscreen price is the sale price, blah blah DON'T ACCEPT THAT, that sticker is not the price it's his BEST HOPE Read about negotiation in the Buyers Guide Subscribers can download The Motorhome Buyers Guide for Free The Definitive Guide to Buying the Right Motorhome at the Best Price . Best of luck (y)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

Hi @sinbad Do you have a PX or would this be a straight sale.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
I recently decided to trade in my motorhome for a new one. I live in the wigan area so started at the Manchester show in January. Then went to a few dealers in the NW. Phoned and emailed those that were some distance away from me and then started to get some prices of new vehicles and the trade in price for mine. Then we set off down to the South Coast area and visited most of the main dealers there as part of a 6 day holiday/trip. Again got some prices. After phoning Brownhills they invited us to the motorhome show at the NEC, paying for our entrance, tea and coffee and lunch. At that point I merely asked dealers what they could do to beat some of the other offers that had been put to me. I learned so much from that 'process' as apart from my recent car I had never ever used dealers. One dealer offered me 24k for my motorhome whilst the top price was £38k. Two other dealers promised to match that price and even knock several thousand off the price of the new one. In the end I went with Signature Motorhomes in Preston, still awaiting delivery of a new Adria. Early days yet but up to now i'm really happy with the deal.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks everyone.
@Blue Knight . I have a 2010 Autocruise Starspirit that ideally I would trade in so I guess that is where the dealing can be done around. Need to work out how much I think that is worth in the first place.
As @Riverbankannie said, I am in Cumbria so Carthago is close but none of the others are but that wouldn't be the main reason for the decision.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
I recently decided to trade in my motorhome for a new one. I live in the wigan area so started at the Manchester show in January. Then went to a few dealers in the NW. Phoned and emailed those that were some distance away from me and then started to get some prices of new vehicles and the trade in price for mine. Then we set off down to the South Coast area and visited most of the main dealers there as part of a 6 day holiday/trip. Again got some prices. After phoning Brownhills they invited us to the motorhome show at the NEC, paying for our entrance, tea and coffee and lunch. At that point I merely asked dealers what they could do to beat some of the other offers that had been put to me. I learned so much from that 'process' as apart from my recent car I had never ever used dealers. One dealer offered me 24k for my motorhome whilst the top price was £38k. Two other dealers promised to match that price and even knock several thousand off the price of the new one. In the end I went with Signature Motorhomes in Preston, still awaiting delivery of a new Adria. Early days yet but up to now i'm really happy with the deal.
This is really interesting. When we went to NEC trying to get a price for our van from various dealers we discovered that they seemed to all go to a central person who after our first discussions with a dealer had obviously got all the info on our van and we were offered the same price. This was against a new van so perhaps that is where we came unstuck. Fortunately we did not see anything to really tempt us away from our DorisTG.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thanks everyone.
@Blue Knight . I have a 2010 Autocruise Starspirit that ideally I would trade in so I guess that is where the dealing can be done around. Need to work out how much I think that is worth.......

I'll drop you a PM (y)

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
As others have said, windscreen price is a guide only, because the key thing is “cost to change “, ie reflecting trade in on your current van.

We were looking for a used Carthago in late 2017, ie before Hartleys took on the Carthago franchise. We kept an eye on most dealers, and would have certainly considered any north of Birmingham. We found GMC/Go European had the biggest used stock and found what we wanted there. We got a reasonable trade in and have been happy with the van we bought and with their after sales - a couple of issues, one on the base vehicle and one on the conversion, have been dealt with well under the dealer warranty. It can be a pain having to travel there, but they have been flexible, and I think still have more stock than Hartleys, although their stock list seems to be growing. We may well consider using Hartleys in future for work though.

Good luck!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
You generally get a better price at the end of the season IMHO.

And I would definitely have a look at Link Removed. If buying new you can spec rhd from some but I would be more tempted by a good used LHD one with all the toys.

btw when we were last looking I was surprised to learn that there was an extra charge in the price list to have a rhd from a UK dealer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back