Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
Following on from advice on another one of my threads to ask how many of you run a 12v compressor fridge and how do you get on energy consumption wise when off grid wild camping

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Changed to a compressor fridge following a fire in the chimney. I believe power consumption to be lower but our reason to change was peace of mind and a nice cold fridge for the beer. 100w solar panel on the roof.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Do the compressor fridges have a freezer compartment? We've got a free standing compressor coolbox and it uses a lot more power in freezer mode, in fact in warm weather it would run continuously.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Just a note from your other thread: Compressor fridges are not commonly fitted in German Motorhomes, the only manufacturer who does routinely fit them is Phoenix.

Hymers/Burstners/N&Bs etc normally have 3 way Fridges not dissimilar to many UK vans.

I would consider a compressor fridge but it would not suit everyone, you have to be prepared to manage it and get a decent Solar setup and perhaps a backup if you want winter use - Efoy or Generator.

The above is assuming the OP is not considering a PVC.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I have the Waeco CRX-50 compressor fridge

Small but with options to use as:
  • All Fridge
  • Fridge & Freezer
  • All Freezer
If I get it cold on EHU first, I can do 3 days (2 nights) on a 110ah leisure battery

My method is: Turn fridge up to max coldness (setting 4) whilst on EHU at home, for 12 hours before setting off

Fill with everything already cold from home fridge - including still frozen homemade ready meals about an hour before leaving (still on EHU)

Drive to destination (disconnect EHU first!) , the first time I need to open the fridge, I turn it down to setting 2

Try not to open the door too much

Keep van cool inside if it's a warm day

That way I manage 3 days (2 nights) without EHU and leisure battery is still in good condition after 3 years

For longer trips, I normally have EHU and use it in fridge/freezer mode - it works really well keeping stuff frozen for 3 weeks (the longest so far, but I'm sure it will be ok for longer)

And for completeness, I should add that when away from EHU for longer periods of time, I have a generator (only used in a suitable environment)

One thing i was advised is to wire the fridge directly to the leisure battery (fused obviously) as many of the 'control panels' can give power loss & the Waeco fridges will run up to 24 volts, so no additional voltage regulation is required

Hope this helps

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Compressor fridges are not commonly fitted in German Motorhomes,

They are. We have a Sunlight PVC which is part of the Hymer group.

We have a solar panel together with 110 ah battery and have no problems with the compressor fridge. Find it very useful not needing to be to concerned about leveling the PVC other than personal comfort :D

We also always make sure fridge has been on ehu before we leave home, which is no different to what we used to do with the fridge in our RV.

Mick

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

We have a solar panel together with 110 ah battery and have no problems with the compressor fridge. Find it very useful not needing to be to concerned about leveling the PVC other than personal comfort :D

We also always make sure fridge has been on ehu before we leave home, which is no different to what we used to do with the fridge in our RV.

Mick
I guess that is why Jon said "The above is assuming the OP is not considering a PVC" I think he is right saying what he did when you look at A class and Coachbuilt vans as nearly 100% of Phoenix use the Kisssman compressor fridge but everybody else uses the 3 way absorber.

Martin

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Last edited:
OP
OP
romany

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
Just a note from your other thread: Compressor fridges are not commonly fitted in German Motorhomes, the only manufacturer who does routinely fit them is Phoenix.

Hymers/Burstners/N&Bs etc normally have 3 way Fridges not dissimilar to many UK vans.

I would consider a compressor fridge but it would not suit everyone, you have to be prepared to manage it and get a decent Solar setup and perhaps a backup if you want winter use - Efoy or Generator.

The above is assuming the OP is not considering a PVC.

Hi Tuscan yes I am considering a PVC hence the question models being looked at at the moment are the sunlight German make and an autocruise Alto which I believe has changed from compressor to 3 way and yes I do know that Autocruise are made by who we used to call soggy swifts in the 80's(y)

OP
OP
romany

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
I guess that is why Jon said "The above is assuming the OP is not considering a PVC" I think he is right saying what he did when you look at A class and Coachbuilt vans as nearly 100% of Phoenix use the Kisssman compressor fridge but everybody else uses the 3 way absorber.

Martin
How do you rate your Sunlight Martin it's one of our listed suspects:D

Last edited:

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Got both as van had a small normal gas/12v/240v, usually the waco fridge draw needs turning down it’s so efficient where as the other one needs Turing up !

OP
OP
romany

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp

Mick
Hi Mick do you mostly use campsite with EHU or a off grid camper like me:smiley:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Do the compressor fridges have a freezer compartment? We've got a free standing compressor coolbox and it uses a lot more power in freezer mode, in fact in warm weather it would run continuously.
Yes, the size of fridge denotes the size of the freezer box, our previous Globecar had a 80L with a small box one on the top right (ie half the width of the fridge), our current Globecar has a 90L one with a full width freezer box.

The stand alone compressor fridge/freezers are much more power hungry than a built in compressor fridge, ours only comes on for about 15 mins each hour even in very hot weather.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Mick do you mostly use campsite with EHU or a off grid camper like me:smiley:

We do a combination of both as we no longer need a ehu but some "home" items need mains to charge, shaver, etc. Even when on the drive at home the batteries, truck and habitation are kept fully charged, so we're really pleased. Always used to have our RV on ehu even at home, though the new owner has fitted solar now.

How do you rate your Sunlight Martin it's one of are listed suspects

We're really pleased with our Sunlight 640 as the layoutt suits us better than the previous Tribute 670. Longitude double bed is huge :) We've added a load of items, air suspension, Alugas bottles so we're off next week for a few months to road test it all. Somewhere warm :)

Please pm me if you'd like to chat about the Sunlight.

Mick

OP
OP
romany

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
We do a combination of both as we no longer need a ehu but some "home" items need mains to charge, shaver, etc. Even when on the drive at home the batteries, truck and habitation are kept fully charged, so we're really pleased. Always used to have our RV on ehu even at home, though the new owner has fitted solar now.

We're really pleased with our Sunlight 640 as the layoutt suits us better than the previous Tribute 670. Longitude double bed is huge :) We've added a load of items, air suspension, Alugas bottles so we're off next week for a few months to road test it all. Somewhere warm :)

Please pm me if you'd like to chat about the Sunlight.

Mick

We are looking at the sunlight van cliff 601 like what we see so far but want to see it in the flesh before going any further, enjoy your somewhere warm :cool:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Where are you supposed to put your smalls/clothes? No proper rear roof lockers.

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
When our 3 way fridge breaks I'm going to strip the absorption gubbins out leaving just the insulated box and fit a compressor kit on it. They're about 400 quid and you've got a brand new fridge :cool:

https://www.marinesuperstore.com/refrigeration/cooling-kits/waeco-cu55-vd07-cooling-kit

Or...

https://www.marinesuperstore.com/refrigeration/cooling-kits/waeco-cu55-vd01-cooling-kit-box

Interesting idea - I had similar thoughts if I don't 'bond' with my absorption fridge.

If your space is > 47cm wide a table-top fridge may fit in there (mains only but quite efficient (some are A++) and £75). They are getting quite popular for camping now if you take the trouble to install a good mains system.

Another option of course is to simply install a campervan compressor fridge instead, if it's smaller just add shelving. At least if you start with a 3-way all other options are cheaper :)

MickyP

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
We are looking at the sunlight van cliff 601 like what we see so far but want to see it in the flesh before going any further, enjoy your somewhere warm :cool:
We have just purchased a 2019 Sunlight Cliff 601 two weeks ago. Downsized From a 7.5 mtr Coachbuilt, Challenger with the queen bed. So far so good the bed is very roomy, we have removed the upper double and the floor boards attached to middle of bed with that we have increased the payload quite a bit. The new Sunlight 2019 lower bed is lower so the space under it is less, however everything we had on the Challenger is now on the Sunlight. We had some extras such as Tow bar for bike rack, remis blinds, inverter, gas alarm, solar panel, refillable gas, awning. I am looking at a second Battery so I can last a bit longer off grid. Still in process of shuffling lockers to find best way to store stuff, Van is rated at 3500kgs I still have 300kgs spare. But little space. We started with a 5.4 Panel van years ago worked our way up and now gone back as we move around never stay on any site or spot more than a day or two. Did have a Sunlight coach build before the Challenger they are well made ( originally for rental market so built to stand up to lots of use) well pleased so far with the 601. I got mine on a ox deal but if there’s only two of you go for the 600 then you won’t need to store the second bed.

OP
OP
romany

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
Theres some serious misquoting going on here eh? I think you need to change your avatar you re confusing people :ROFLMAO:
We have just purchased a 2019 Sunlight Cliff 601 two weeks ago. Downsized From a 7.5 mtr Coachbuilt, Challenger with the queen bed. So far so good the bed is very roomy, we have removed the upper double and the floor boards attached to middle of bed with that we have increased the payload quite a bit. The new Sunlight 2019 lower bed is lower so the space under it is less, however everything we had on the Challenger is now on the Sunlight. We had some extras such as Tow bar for bike rack, remis blinds, inverter, gas alarm, solar panel, refillable gas, awning. I am looking at a second Battery so I can last a bit longer off grid. Still in process of shuffling lockers to find best way to store stuff, Van is rated at 3500kgs I still have 300kgs spare. But little space. We started with a 5.4 Panel van years ago worked our way up and now gone back as we move around never stay on any site or spot more than a day or two. Did have a Sunlight coach build before the Challenger they are well made ( originally for rental market so built to stand up to lots of use) well pleased so far with the 601. I got mine on a ox deal but if there’s only two of you go for the 600 then you won’t need to store the second bed.

Thanks Mick information and advice much appreciated

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@MickyP ... better update your avatar! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back