Paracetamols in Europe (1 Viewer)

Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
Are parcetamol caplets freely available to buy in Europe eg. Lidl and Aldi like they are here?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
In a motorhome , in Europe you'll be fine with a large supply of paracetamol, ibuprofen etc. I used to take half a pharmacy back to France. Was once charged €6 for a pack of paracetamol ( and that's going back a few years)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Paracetamol have nothing in them that would class as a controlled substance so cause no problems. It was Tramadol which is a prescription only medication in the UK that caused problems being brought into Egypt. Would quite understandably do the same elsewhere.

Also if you buy paracetamol and codeine tablets that could cause difficulties in some countries without a prescription. North Africa, Turkey and Greece come to mind.

I haven't seen paracetamol in Lidl in Spain but if you buy it in the pharmacy ask for generico and it will be a lot cheaper. Just keep an eye on the packaging as you sometimes get 1g tablets instead of the 500mg that we're used to in the UK. I wouldn't want you taking double the dose!

I must admit I build up a supply of paracetamol and ibuprofen from home before we go as it's much cheaper. I just got caught out on our last trip when Nick's joints seemed to fall apart in sequence!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
All I can tell you is that SWMBO has her own Drugs need, we took them to Spain every winter for some years without issue. We often had in excess of a 4 Month supply. including 500`s of paracetamol, and even Tramadol. However we always carried her medical record and her Drug list. and the purposes for which each drug was required. We did this too for the 5 years or more we went to the USA, again without any issue. BTW, Paracetamol is NOT available in the US.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
All I can tell you is that SWMBO has her own Drugs need, we took them to Spain every winter for some years without issue. We often had in excess of a 4 Month supply. including 500`s of paracetamol, and even Tramadol. However we always carried her medical record and her Drug list. and the purposes for which each drug was required. We did this too for the 5 years or more we went to the USA, again without any issue. BTW, Paracetamol is NOT available in the US.
In the USA they call paracetamol acetaminophen or Tylenol, ibuprophen is commonly called Advil.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Be aware that you can only get limited stock even in a supermarket. Something like 2 packs, so if you plan to take a stock you may need to visit shops several times.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Be aware that you can only get limited stock even in a supermarket. Something like 2 packs, so if you plan to take a stock you may need to visit shops several times.
2 packs of 16 tablets Steve but us ladies who spend our days shopping and knitting can stock up on enough to poison most of you chaps in a very short time! I have found that if you take the bulky side effect leaflet out you can then sqeeze 32 tablets into each box to save space.

OP
OP
Decker
Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
Yes
We have been building up our stock for a while but taking over 80 boxes looks a bit daunting

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
2 packs of 16 tablets Steve but us ladies who spend our days shopping and knitting can stock up on enough to poison most of you chaps in a very short time! I have found that if you take the bulky side effect leaflet out you can then sqeeze 32 tablets into each box to save space.

Now now !! We are doing our own poisoning with beer thank you very much :D

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
In the USA they call paracetamol acetaminophen or Tylenol, ibuprophen is commonly called Advil.

We where advised that Tylenol, is (their) preferred alternative, (my DIL who lives in Texas uses it for "ladies" needs, but prefers Paracetamol, SWMBO often leaves behind what she has "spare") but was not actually the same composition, and not as effective?. I do know about ibuprphen/advil. Again it is not exactly the same composition drug? so I am informed.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Bought 500mg packet 24 @1.39 in Algarve pharmacy
It's good to have some price comparisons. Those sorts of prices are fine if you just take them occasionally but if you take them regularly it soon adds up compared with 20p for 16 in Wilko at the moment for caplets. They're nice and smooth as well. I only take them occasionally but I'm a wimp!

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We where advised that Tylenol, is (their) preferred alternative, (my DIL who lives in Texas uses it for "ladies" needs, but prefers Paracetamol, SWMBO often leaves behind what she has "spare") but was not actually the same composition, and not as effective?. I do know about ibuprphen/advil. Again it is not exactly the same composition drug? so I am informed.
It is one of those misconceptions like people insisting that Panadol is much more effective than paracetamol, the placebo effect if you like. They are chemically identical.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It is one of those misconceptions like people insisting that Panadol is much more effective than paracetamol, the placebo effect if you like. They are chemically identical.
The only thing I can think of is that the size of the tabletis different as we use an a dose of 1g for an adult in UK and Europe. The active ingredient in both is N-acetyl-para-aminophenol and the americans chose one name as their generic and we chose another. This has happened many times. So far this one hasn't changed to the american version. Whilst I find this fascinating I expect no-one else on the entire forum does!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
A bit like rubbing something on your skin to help joint pain never found it helps

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
A bit like rubbing something on your skin to help joint pain never found it helps
I know what you mean, I can see how the gels might penetrate enough to relieve inflammation in tendons like tennis elbow where they are within 1cm of the surface. However when they show them relieving pain in hips, knees and in low backs where they are unlikely to have even penetrated the flab I just laugh.

That reminds me though, the ibuprofen gel that we got in Benidorm was
50mg/g gel which isn't even available on prescription here so that did help Nick's elbow, I was worried his skin might fall off but it was ok!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Try Movelat,,its brilliant for RA,,BUSBY.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Naproxen is a much more effective anti inflammatory than ibuprofen (for me anyway). It was in short supply recently in UK but I was able to buy Naproxeno across the counter in Gran Canaria very cheaply. Checked with uk doctor who had supplied an alternative that had no effect, and it is the same drug.

Happy days - or daze if you take enough of it with codeine and vodka :sleep:

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Paracetamols and Ibuprofen are available but only from a pharmacy. I take loads of meds with me but always carry copies of prescriptions.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you want paracetomol in spain buy 'Xumadol'. 1g ( 1000mg)
40 x sachets = 3,98€ from any chemist.
Ibuprofen normal size is 600mg= 1,98€ 400mg available.
Never seen any meds sold in aldi/lidl/any supermarket. Farmácia only.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
You could and possibly still can, buy larger quantities of paracetamol and ibuprofen from the pharmacy, generic, not branded is cheaper. Not checked prices recently and no idea re pricing of paracetamol as I am allergic and rarely buy them, only keep in for others in an emergency.
This may have changed since they became so readilly available in supermarkets.
Have fallen foul of the medication shortage. One of my Hypertension meds, only made by one supplier who have stopped producing them. have been waiting for a week for the GP pharmacist to get back to me, taking non controlled release 3 times a day may be an alternative, a bloomin nuiscance, but may be what I have to do.

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
I have found that if you take the bulky side effect leaflet out you can then sqeeze 32 tablets into each box to save space.

If you read that bulky side effect leaflet you may be able to save even more space (by leaving them at home LOL) ;)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You could and possibly still can, buy larger quantities of paracetamol and ibuprofen from the pharmacy, generic, not branded is cheaper. Not checked prices recently and no idea re pricing of paracetamol as I am allergic and rarely buy them, only keep in for others in an emergency.
This may have changed since they became so readilly available in supermarkets.
Have fallen foul of the medication shortage. One of my Hypertension meds, only made by one supplier who have stopped producing them. have been waiting for a week for the GP pharmacist to get back to me, taking non controlled release 3 times a day may be an alternative, a bloomin nuiscance, but may be what I have to do.

You can buy larger quantities from a pharmacy. I use the soluble paracetamol (much more expensive than the standard) and pharmacy is the way to go for larger quantities.

I am sorry about your hypertension meds, the one I take was also unavailable in January but is now back to normal supply. When I finally got my supply I had three tablets left - and I take two a day. You might have to chase up the GP / pharmacist - is there a reason why the meds you have been taking have been discontinued? I have phoned manufacturers in the past to get information from the mouth of the ass so to speak. Some years ago one of the meds I was told had been discontinued had actually been reformulated and renamed.

If buying meds abroad always check the dosage, there are differences.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
On a recent trip through Germany, MrsR forgot to take enough of one of her prescription drugs. We tried several pharmacies in different towns: some said it was not available under Bavarian law, some said they could get it in a couple of days (but we were moving on), some said we needed to see a German doctor as they couldn't accept her NHS prescription as sufficient evidence but they could get the tablets within 24h.

Upon entering The Netherlands, with one day's supply left we got them easily, with the pharmacist "forging" an address because the Aire we were on was not acceptable. Clearly a difference in attitude!

However, for the benefit of this thread, as we drove from Germany into The Netherlands, we both commented on a huge sign above a pharmacy adjacent to the border stating "Paracetamol". I would take enough of everything which you might need, assuming you check legal restrictions first!

Gordon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back