A Motorhome tracker you'd be stupid not to fit. (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Not quite the £25.00 I was expecting. Over priced and well over completion date. I am of the view you have made a pigs ear out of this Jim. I'm no longer interested thank you

Why on earth did you expect to pay only £25:00 when @Jim had already laughed at that price and already stated it would above £125:00?[/QUOTE]
A fair and polite question that deserves a response I.M.O. Can you show me where he stated it would be above £125.00 (I must have missed this post).
In Jim's opening post and replies to members he said this amongst other stuff.

' Presently we can cough up for a Thatcham approved bit of kit that costs Hundreds to purchase and a similar amount to keep online. Or buy a £30 tracker from China of eBay, hoping it won’t be found if the van is stolen, but knowing it probably will.

So I’m looking for some middle ground, and my brainstorming thus far has resulted in the following.

• That is cheap and effective enough to be stupid not to fit one.
But my aim will be to have it as cheap as possible. I appreciate that sim cards on networks need to be paid for but the £25 or more a month that some tracking companies charge does seem to be a rip off, So I'd be looking for no subscription at all or if I am snookered into a sub then it would be a very, very low one!

From these quotes I rightly or wrongly assumed the tracker would be cheap! In fact as cheap as possible and so cheap I would be stupid enough not to fit one.
Well now I'm informed a budget of £200.00 will be somewhere near the final price and the expected delivery date of end of December has well and truly gone by and I'm simply no longer interested. Even at £125.00 I'm not interested. There you go, your question answered.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Why on earth did you expect to pay only £25:00 when @Jim had already laughed at that price and already stated it would above £125:00?
A fair and polite question that deserves a response I.M.O. Can you show me where he stated it would be above £125.00 (I must have missed this post).
[/QUOTE]

£25 :D so much... for a real-time tracker and a 5-year life stealth tracker, and monitoring. Yes I bet I could shift a few million of those at £25, who wouldn't want two at that price! :D I've no idea yet but best guesses put it at over £125 not £25 :D
As requested;);)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007

As requested;);)[/QUOTE]
Thanks for this. I did not see it before. Never the less, I'm no longer interested as I consider the price far too high and the delivery date has long passed. So, I must be mad not to fit it.:D:D

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
Isn't it strange jim when you try and get something that helps all motorhome owners,you always get 1 that is ungrateful,you keep plugging away mate and I'm sure there are lots of funsters that will buy one that's for sure , it's bad enough that you have loads on your plate already ,and negative comments don't make it any easier ,if there not interested or can't wait that long just go and buy an overpriced contract one ,and leave this forum alone so other people can make there own minds up ,RANT OVER ,

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Isn't it strange jim when you try and get something that helps all motorhome owners,you always get 1 that is ungrateful,you keep plugging away mate and I'm sure there are lots of funsters that will buy one that's for sure , it's bad enough that you have loads on your plate already ,and negative comments don't make it any easier ,if there not interested or can't wait that long just go and buy an overpriced contract one ,and leave this forum alone so other people can make there own minds up ,RANT OVER ,

Well said.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
As requested;);)
Thanks for this. I did not see it before. Never the less, I'm no longer interested as I consider the price far too high and the delivery date has long passed. So, I must be mad not to fit it.:D:D[/QUOTE]

Pretty amazing that anyone can spend thousands on a motorhome and not give it some protection for the price of a tank and a half of diesel.

What has the delivery date got to do with anything at all?

Anyway, buying or not is a free choice - I might even fit two!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I’m getting a new van in late April. Is there a possibility that this tracker will be available by then as I don’t want to commit to a tracker and then find this is better!

Be warned, this is Jim's budget DIY "peace of mind" solution, it will almost certainly not be accepted by your insurers.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Be warned, this is Jim's budget DIY "peace of mind" solution, it will almost certainly not be accepted by your insurers.

That's a good point - which is why I might fit Jim's £200 solution as a second tracker - the one they won't be looking for after they have found and disabled the insurance certified one :)

The logic runs that you should always carry a a bomb on an aeroplane with you because statistically the chances of there being TWO bombs on a plane is so close to zero that you will almost certainly be perfectly safe if you have one with you :):):)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think the coming to life for only a few seconds a day is the game changer.

The thieves then are very unlikely to detect it. Great idea.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Obviously not a good idea to say where the hidden one will be hidden, but will it work if enclosed in metal, for example inside a chassis box section?
Ps. I’m in!

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Obviously not a good idea to say where the hidden one will be hidden, but will it work if enclosed in metal, for example inside a chassis box section?
it would certainly limit any effectiveness as it would in effect be in a Faraday cage

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Ps. I’m in!

One I'm testing at the moment in Siâns car works well. It is hidden under the spare wheel in the boot of a saloon car. So metal not affecting it too much at all.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
it would certainly limit any effectiveness as it would in effect be in a Faraday cage

One I'm testing at the moment in Siâns car works well. It is hidden under the spare wheel in the boot of a saloon car. So metal not affecting it too much at all.

Thanks both. I can think of a few good places!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Now all we've got to do is find out where the car's parked!:whistle::whistle::whistle:;););):giggle::giggle::giggle:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
its a long thread so forgive me if these points have been covered...
why fit two trackers , is that really necessary... incurring the additional cost to what end. ??.. as it sounds like its just there as a sacrificial tracker anyway..
surely just the one that reports its position less frequently would do.. if the user had the ability to interrogate it at any time would that not be all that was required.. even if that meant replacing the battery every couple years rather than the hoped for 5...
you did say that it would report battery voltage so that would be monitored and changed by the user as required..
Andy

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
its a long thread so forgive me if these points have been covered...
why fit two trackers , is that really necessary... incurring the additional cost to what end. ??.. as it sounds like its just there as a sacrificial tracker anyway..
surely just the one that reports its position less frequently would do.. if the user had the ability to interrogate it at any time would that not be all that was required.. even if that meant replacing the battery every couple years rather than the hoped for 5...
you did say that it would report battery voltage so that would be monitored and changed by the user as required..
Andy

I think the scrotes would feel emboldened by finding the obvious one.

And that would put them off the scent of the second.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I think the scrotes would feel emboldened by finding the obvious one.

And that would put them off the scent of the second.

I get that Chris , but is that worth the extra cost of a sim and hardware, when the idea was to keep the cost down and yet provide a tracker in the event of the van been stolen..

if the one fitted reports / wakens infrequently unless you ask it to , then its not likely to be detected anyway, and been self contained could be well hidden..
I may be missing something.... nowt new there:LOL:
Andy

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you only need to spend £15 on a cheap Chinese one to be the sacrificial one. And yes, even such a cheap one works very well if the would be thief is too stupid to find it

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I was surprised it worked so well. That's where her battery is located, I had no real hopes that it would work but its not missed a beat.
@Jim
Surprised and disappointed there are so many negative comments in this thread.
1. Jim is in business to make a profit
2. He has to invest significant time and money exploring potential solutions
3. Most will result in dead ends and wasted money and resources
4. If @Jim finds a potential solution it will require massive testing before obtaining any insurance certification.
5. I've been down this road many times with our own products in healthcare and know how painful it can be.

Oh yes, I knew there was a reason for this post......
Jim I'm happy to be a guinea pig/trial as I have to have a fully conforming solution for insurance and this could run alongside an installed solution without impacting on my cover.

At no cost of course to me

Happy to be of service.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Without wanting to trawl all the way back through the thread.
Were these devices pitched as being cheap?

I think the idea of these are they don't transmit 24/7 so are difficult to disable as a would be thief doesn't know its there.

Just a thought happy to be corrected (y)

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
@Jim
Surprised and disappointed there are so many negative comments in this thread.
1. Jim is in business to make a profit
2. He has to invest significant time and money exploring potential solutions
3. Most will result in dead ends and wasted money and resources
4. If @Jim finds a potential solution it will require massive testing before obtaining any insurance certification.
5. I've been down this road many times with our own products in healthcare and know how painful it can be.

Oh yes, I knew there was a reason for this post......
Jim I'm happy to be a guinea pig/trial as I have to have a fully conforming solution for insurance and this could run alongside an installed solution without impacting on my cover.

At no cost of course to me

Happy to be of service.

Thanks those are all valid points, but my personal exposure is limited. This isn't a money making exercise for me. So I won't be needing insurance or certification. My involvement has been sourcing the right company telling them what we want and testing the products. I settled early on a small but well respected company in Essex that has an excellent reputation within the tracking industry. Funsters will be buying the product direct from them not me. If I do negotiate a commission on sales then you will know. There is still some things to do, instruction writing mostly but its looking like product will be available by 31 March. I should have prices and a full spec any day and people should be able to pre-order. (y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am sort of hoping they’ll be happy with just a proper alarm!

Insurers happy, oh are you the optimist.

If all they demand is a Thatcham alarm fine. You'll just have to ask them. Which will illicit "this guy can afford a tracker, might as well insist on one".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back