Working Full Timers or Itinerants in UK (1 Viewer)

weejocky

Funster
Jan 20, 2010
Yorkshire and France
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
not long enough
I am on a pretty little CL in Oxfordshire, I was here last year at the same time. On site is the same family that were here last time, I thought this was a coincidence till I looked at their small van with a large tent attached and its obvious it aint moved for 12 months, they are even growing toms:Eeek:

He goes out to work all day, she works part time too. Are they Fulltimers or Itinerants, sometimes its hard to tell the difference these days. :Angry:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
seen it my self

I am on a pretty little CL in Oxfordshire, I was here last year at the same time. On site is the same family that were here last time, I thought this was a coincidence till I looked at their small van with a large tent attached and its obvious it aint moved for 12 months, they are even growing toms:Eeek:

He goes out to work all day, she works part time too. Are they Fulltimers or Itinerants, sometimes its hard to tell the difference these days. :Angry:

Visiting a certain site attached to a well known company (they are members of this group).. no names or pack drill!!! seems to be the same motorhomes in the same place everytime we visit for work to be done. Are they full timers? but what the hell does it matter. Got to live some place, a camp site is good a place as any...to many rules and red tape as far as I am concerned. At least they are not on the edge of a curb or in the local B & Q car park breaking cars up. Live and let live... including tomatoes.

Bob:Blush:

OP
OP
weejocky

weejocky

Funster
Jan 20, 2010
Yorkshire and France
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
not long enough
All well and good but I can see a day coming when you cannot get on a cheap CL because its full of full timing /Itinerants and it will be a sad day. The law is VERY CLEAR CLs are for RECREATION, not for living on. Too much abuse by full timers and we will lose them:Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry: I for one, will report to Defra any site that I think is breaking the 28 day rule, you should too

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
I agree - live and let live. no problem with "Itinerants" if they do not leave loads of mess and cause trouble. At the end of the day they have a right to live the life they choose.

I only get annoyed if it has a detrimental impact, as an alternative lifestyle I am comfortable to let them get on with it

David

OP
OP
weejocky

weejocky

Funster
Jan 20, 2010
Yorkshire and France
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
not long enough
At the end of the day they have a right to live the life they choose.

David

When they stay longer that 28 days they are in breach of the law so there is no right. These places are for our recreation, if you want to live in motorhome there are places provided by the council for this, SHOUT IT OUT "FULLTIMER Itinerants STAY OFF OUR RECREATIONAL CLs"

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
When they stay longer that 28 days they are in breach of the law so there is no right. [/B]"

Haven't you ever broken any laws, then?

I parked on a double yellow line once :Eeek:

The CL owner is clearly happy to have them there, so I say good luck to them.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
There are untold numbers of people doing this and I would run outa money fast if I reported them all everytime I saw it.

Its not a problem so if its not broke dont try to fix it. Leave em alone.

Jim
:Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
calm down

When they stay longer that 28 days they are in breach of the law so there is no right. These places are for our recreation, if you want to live in motorhome there are places provided by the council for this, SHOUT IT OUT "FULLTIMER Itinerants STAY OFF OUR RECREATIONAL CLs"

Being retired lawyer I am fully aware of the law, although we have laws we do not always enforce them. Like parking two wheels up the curb, breaches the Highways Act, but it is not often enforced.

If you complain to DEFRA or the council that is up to you, but what happens if the CL is withdrawn over the complaint? you lose the CL that you have clearly used in the past. Is that better or worse? What do you do to the person that you say is working and is wife working part time? in effect they have to move on.. do they keep the jobs? or do they have to give them up? Where do they then live?

A lot of give and take has to take place in life and especially if you use a motorhome. Example I am allowed at a show to run a generator between 8 a.m and 10 p.m. Do I? no I use it to charge my buggy batteries and watch a bit of tv.. but I do it in moderation. I am against the 'Itinerant' as you call them (although I would prefer to see the words travellers and not the word Itinerant as that is offensive) that use land to break up cars or make a mess for others to pick the bill up, but I cannot see these people growing tomatoes as being in the group of the less desirables you think they are. I am sure the CL owner would not want that sort on his land.

Sometimes we are to fast to judge others and label them. Enjoy your camping and let others do what they want to within bounds. But it is not worth getting all steamed up about. Your point of view is noted, you have a right to that point of view, but lets do it with some calm. It is not a war zone.

Bob:cry:

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
At least according to what you say they are both working and not on the rob, so let them get on with it

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Being retired lawyer I am fully aware of the law, although we have laws we do not always enforce them. Like parking two wheels up the curb, breaches the Highways Act, but it is not often enforced.

If you complain to DEFRA or the council that is up to you, but what happens if the CL is withdrawn over the complaint? you lose the CL that you have clearly used in the past. Is that better or worse? What do you do to the person that you say is working and is wife working part time? in effect they have to move on.. do they keep the jobs? or do they have to give them up? Where do they then live?

A lot of give and take has to take place in life and especially if you use a motorhome. Example I am allowed at a show to run a generator between 8 a.m and 10 p.m. Do I? no I use it to charge my buggy batteries and watch a bit of tv.. but I do it in moderation. I am against the 'Itinerant' as you call them (although I would prefer to see the words travellers and not the word Itinerant as that is offensive) that use land to break up cars or make a mess for others to pick the bill up, but I cannot see these people growing tomatoes as being in the group of the less desirables you think they are. I am sure the CL owner would not want that sort on his land.

Sometimes we are to fast to judge others and label them. Enjoy your camping and let others do what they want to within bounds. But it is not worth getting all steamed up about. Your point of view is noted, you have a right to that point of view, but lets do it with some calm. It is not a war zone.

Bob:cry:

Good Post, the latter part could apply to a few tirades posted on the forum, mine included.

Cheers
Jim
:thumb:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Some CLs lets face struggle to make any money, let alone any profit, many appear to be run for fun so if a CL owner can sneak a fulltimer or two under the net so to speak, why not, far from stopping 'you' getting on the site it may be more a case of allowing the CL owner to keep the site open?

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Perhaps they are related to the owners of the CL or as it is really bugging you why dont you ask them, I would.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
and if the cl is on a farm under the agricultural rules and regs a farmer is allowed 1 mobile accomodation unit included with in the farms allowed buildings and outbuildings and it can be sited anywhere (in days gone past it was for seasonal workers) not often used these days what with all the machinary but the clause and allowance is still there.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Perhaps they are related to the owners of the CL or as it is really bugging you why dont you ask them, I would.

Just what i thought. They could be saving up for a deposit on a house.
Its not as easy for people nowadays with houses being so expensive.
At least they are both working.
Not on the scrounge like so many others, getting benefits for even breathing:Angry:
Leave them alone. Think yourself lucky your not in the same situation.
Bev

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
He goes out to work all day, she works part time too.

Unlike Itinerants, they are not claiming housing and council tax benefit or JSA , they are paying their way by working and supporting a CL ...

what's the problem ?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ive not seen any proof they are living there full time
Just cos the unit is sited dont mean they are:Doh:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
I have never had anyone staying very long term on my CL although I personally would not be bothered especially as except during August I am normally half full at best. The reason has been shown up on this thread. If somebody complains about me to Caravan Club they would probably take away my CL approval.

I have often had people stay longer than 28 days for different reasons, usually to help them out, but nobody else would be aware of that. (except now on here) :Doh: It has never been at anyone else's expense so,OK it is against the rules, but what harm is done.

Worry about something that really matters

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
What a great post, feel sorry for the guy who started it off bet he wasn't expecting this response though? I say live and let live, when we get the chance we'll be doing exactly the same. Maybe they have achieved our dreams and broken away from the ball and chain mortgage and are just enjoying life at a lot more relaxed pace. We have got away from the mortgage and are now in renting, bought ourselves a motorhome and are having a great time.

Good luck to all you full timers, where ever you might be
hope to see you all out there one day.
Mike&Nic::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
weejocky

weejocky

Funster
Jan 20, 2010
Yorkshire and France
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
not long enough
What a great post, feel sorry for the guy who started it off bet he wasn't expecting this response though?

Mike&Nic::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

I could pretty much guess the response, their are a lot of fulltimers on this site.:RollEyes: some that are not fulltiming might have a different tune in 10 years time when recreational motorhomers won't be able to get on a CL in peak times for fulltimers looking for cheap living and ABUSING a recreational system, and clogging it up. Its going to happen it gets worse every year. CLs are not supposed to be lived on full stop and I will be reporting them. So should all recreational motorhomers :thumb: Just my opinion:Smile:

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
How do you know they don't leave the site on the 28th day and then come back again, then they are not breaking the law.

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I hope for your sake you don't suddenly find you have to stay in one place for 29 days and some nosey so&so reports the CL/CS-you get fined-the CL/CS gets shut down.
We could loose a lot of nice secluded places like this.:Eeek::Angry::Doh:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Before you jump in and report them

are they

down on there luck and house been repossessed
attending a sick child in hospital with a terminal illness
you get the idea?

we are all quick sometimes to judge on first impressions it would seem you have been able to get on this cl when you wanted to ,please think before you report them they may have a story like one above, they sound like they both work so the money they pay could be all that is keeping the cl open.

Walking a mile in another persons shoes springs to mind

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I could pretty much guess the response, their are a lot of fulltimers on this site.:RollEyes: some that are not fulltiming might have a different tune in 10 years time when recreational motorhomers won't be able to get on a CL in peak times for fulltimers looking for cheap living and ABUSING a recreational system, and clogging it up. Its going to happen it gets worse every year. CLs are not supposed to be lived on full stop and I will be reporting them. So should all recreational motorhomers :thumb: Just my opinion:Smile:

Your not a traffic warden by any chance are you? Just a guess::bigsmile:

I was under the impression most full timers head for the continent not hang around on CL's. Ive stayed on loads of CL's and I think there may have been on near Exmouth that looked like it had a caravan on it where the chap was getting picked up and going to work. so clearly it is not a problem. Probably 99% of guests on CL's are there for leisure purposes. I could understand your rant if it was a real issue but it just isnt. If you had issue why didnt you confront the owner? There maybe a perfectly good explanation so before you go blabbing to the CC or whoever, if your really that worked up about it call the CL and ask them before you shut down a perfectly good spot for us CL lovers.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Gawd, I thought I had logged on the darkside by mistake when I read this:ROFLMAO:

As others have pointed out if they are not doing any harm leave it and find another axe to grind, lifes too short and some of us have one

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Gawd, I thought I had logged on the darkside by mistake when I read this:ROFLMAO:

As others have pointed out if they are not doing any harm leave it and find another axe to grind, lifes too short and some of us have one

Hmm. The force is strong in this one! Nothing wrong with the DARK SIDE!!!

bmb1uk

Free Member
Jan 1, 2010
LEICS
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
hope it makes you feel good after you do it ,you could sell tickets,to see them evicted :Doh: :Doh: :Doh:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+

Well before you act on your assumption, check you have your facts right and as a point of interest all the replies thus far are from 'recreational motorhomers' as you seem to class yourself and not from any fulltimers. Why not just enjoy life rather than trying to cause grief for other people whom it would seem have not caused you any inconvienience

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
Well before you act on your assumption, check you have your facts right and as a point of interest all the replies thus far are from 'recreational motorhomers' as you seem to class yourself and not from any fulltimers. Why not just enjoy life rather than trying to cause grief for other people whom it would seem have not caused you any inconvienience

Well said chatter::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
There are a lot of people who were born and bred in rural areas that have to live like this because they have no chance of buying or renting properties due to the low wages .You should speak to those involved face to face instead of going behind their backs .:Angry:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
ever heard of seasonal pitches?????:Eeek:
same time last year??? hmmm maybe they take the same month every year.:Doh:

maybe they are the actual owners of the CL who sold their home to set it up and have it staffed by someone else while they work to support it. :soaobox:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back