Mobilvetta Driver 57s rotten Floor (1 Viewer)

simjet

Free Member
Aug 17, 2010
Funster No
Just found out that my motorhome Mobilvetta driver 57s 1998 model owned from new has a soaked floor and it looks like it has spread to most of it its all very soft. This is the second time in 5 years last time it cost me 3.5 k to fix and thats was just a small section near the step and along the side. I am pretty gutted and cant afford to have the work done so whats involved for me to do it myself. Obviously a full strip out is required ( last time they just move tanks and seats).

I know I have to locate the source and then rectify the damage, think Im going to need a hanger or something ...

My other option is to part with it and let someone who has the skill and the will do a floor refurb .. it would be a bargain only done 32k miles on a fiat 2.5 TD the vehicle part is in excellent condition as is the furniture and appliances.

Any advice gratefully received.

AL

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I'll give you a fiver for it.............

Sorry, not what you wanted to hear, so good luck whatever you decide to do.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
to remove the inside furniture without damage Will require the outer skin of the motorhome to be removed as everything is screwed together prior to the outer skin being fitted. Failing that a partial floor replacement may be possible and floor injected to make it solid again. The whole thing is a Major operation and not for the fainthearted. if leak is found to come from same place as before try and claim the damage repairs from the original repairer.That amount of water damage could have been caused by an internal leak (from pipework) or just poor quality flooring material in the first place. no underseal causing delamination. do let us know how you get on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Crikey It makes my project do-able in comparison....

Did they not find the root cause of the problem last time?

As said before this is no small and easy fix....

A soaked floor suggests, as you say (Roger), an internal leak. That must be found first.

Good luck...:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi £3500 sounds a little steep :Eeek: You would be better finding a smaller repair place ( 2 or 3 quotes ) or tackle it yourself if you have the skills etc, You will have to remove all inside lower furniture and fittings then cut the floor out in sections replacing each as you go :thumb:That way it will still support the sides :thumb:Once done it will be a straight forward replace units / fittings :thumb:The cost of the flooring will be under £200 but they charged you dearly for labour :Sad::cry:
Now you have to compare that to how much you think your van is worth ? and cost to fix ? as to cost to replace :Doh:
If it was mine I would replace the floor and keep it,:thumb: but having said that it would only cost my time and whatever I could get away with giving my mate a very large drink (probs a couple or three hundred quids worth :ROFLMAO: )
I will up the stakes and give you £500 for it :whatthe:
Take a punt on Ebay with a good reserve and put it towards another.:winky:
terry

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
If it was mine I would replace the floor and keep it,:thumb: but having said that it would only cost my time and whatever I could get away with giving my mate a very large drink (probs a couple or three hundred quids worth :ROFLMAO: )
I will up the stakes and give you £500 for it :whatthe:
Take a punt on Ebay with a good reserve and put it towards another.:winky:
terry

I guess it depends on what other damage has been done underneath it....

(Rust etc to chassis mounts...)

Needs drying thoroughly as soon as possible.

Terry has a good point here. There are some very proficient craftsmen around quite capable of this sort of job

Should work out hopefully cheaper too.

Weigh that up against another van...sometimes better the devil you know....

Sounds like we have an auction going on here....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Hi,

Just found this thread, I know it's old but just had to respond. I've just registered...
I was there....Mobilvetta 57s with completely rotten floor. We had had a few leaks from the plumbing but I did not realize how bad things were until it was too late.
The water got into the floor and once in, there was no way out. Remained undetected until the floor went soft by the entrance.
It's uncanny reading the few posts offering advice, plus the ludicrous cash offers. But that's just the way things were with mine, the van was useless and worthless.
I opted for the "fix it yourself" approach and spent the best part of a month lay in the street, underneath the van, renewing the floor section by section. I completely removed the shower room fittings but left all the seats / cabin units in place. The only section of floor that did not need renewing was under the sink.
What was horrifying about the whole job was the degree of wastage, the material just fell apart as I pulled it out, this included the frame that was bolted to the chassis!
It's a shame but I did not think of taking photos of the repairs.
That was seven years ago, I still have the van and it's still going strong. There have been a number of plumbing leaks since then but I "designed in" drainage points to get the water out.
The van has taken us all over Europe, 66000 miles on it now, 1999 build. I've spent loads on it with upgrades, much of that before the floor issue, so getting rid was quickly dismissed. Best to fix it and get the use...
I doubt that it's worth much now due to my DIY job, but it's not for sale...:Smile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
This would have been my solution
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nCP43KS2kk&feature=related[/ame]

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun