Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
I have a 1991 Hymer 544. The drivers door hinge (bottom one) is almost solid. I've tried greasing it with no improvement.

Anyone out there know if.........

a) They are still available?
b) Where I could get one?

Thanks for any help :helpsos:

Pics below..

Link Removed

Link Removed

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Plus Gas penetrating fluid in the first instance to un-seize it.

Then ACF50 to lubricate initially, followed by grease or engine oil applied regularly.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Plus Gas penetrating fluid in the first instance to un-seize it.

Then ACF50 to lubricate initially, followed by grease or engine oil applied regularly.
and if that does not work build a Plasticine dam around it and fill with vinegar leave for 24 hourse then rince and oil well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Not sure if yours is the same as more modern Hymer hinges, but if so, they should not be treated with normal compounds or freeing agents. The hinge runs on a nylon (or similar) bush and penetrating oils can cause this to swell, making the problem worse. The solution is to dismantle the hinge and lubricate it with a grease that is acid, solvent and resin free.

Philip

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Not sure if yours is the same as more modern Hymer hinges, but if so, they should not be treated with normal compounds or freeing agents. The hinge runs on a nylon (or similar) bush and penetrating oils can cause this to swell, making the problem worse. The solution is to dismantle the hinge and lubricate it with a grease that is acid, solvent and resin free.

Philip

Surely if it was running a nylon bush, it wouldn't have seized in the first place.

Unless.................................................................it was treated with penetrating oil, which would have made the bush swell.
WD40 can sometimes be your enemy.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
I have a 1991 Hymer 544. The drivers door hinge (bottom one) is almost solid. I've tried greasing it with no improvement.

Anyone out there know if.........

a) They are still available?
b) Where I could get one?

Thanks for any help :helpsos:

Pics below..

Link Removed

Link Removed

You may be lucky at Hymer parts at Preston, sorry I have'nt got there number handy just now, but they have produced a few spares, replacements for us and at reasonable prices.

You will need to quote the details on your converters plate, on the outside of your unit, to enable them to identify your particular model. Type, serial number, build number etc.

Hope this helps

Nomadic

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Redjumpa

Redjumpa

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
and if that does not work build a Plasticine dam around it and fill with vinegar leave for 24 hourse then rince and oil well.

Thanks for the tip, I managed to get the hinge off and soak it in vinegar.

Followed by a bit of oil, grease and TLC it's as good as new.

Only problem now is........... i've nothing to put on my chips!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back