Freezer didnt freeze (1 Viewer)

BossHog

Free Member
Jul 31, 2018
Fylde Coast
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki
Last July & August we travelled Southern Spain in the MH for the first time, the one issue we had was that the freezer section of our fridge did not freeze it was cold but not frozen. Although we had the fridge setting on max and everything working fine on EHU and gas, we appreciate it was hot, very hot, is this the norm in extreme temps or is there a solution, all works fine when in UK.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
also they tend to work better around the half to three quarters mark try playing around to find the sweet spot

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I echo what has been said before. Don't turn it up full, for some reason they never work well if you do. Also a fan or two, dirt cheap 5" computer fans from ebay will work wonders when its hot fitted in the top vent to extract the hot air.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Also ---- if possible, put the fridge side away from the sun,------ if, like most vans, the fridge vents are in the awning keep as much airflow as possible at the vents------- another one in favour of fridge vent fans!!!
Our fridge seems to be unique----- the colder the temp control, the colder the fridge!!!!

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Fitted four fans in mine, to run all the time on EHU and on the thermostat when on battery, just kept up last year in nearly 40 degrees.

OP
OP
BossHog

BossHog

Free Member
Jul 31, 2018
Fylde Coast
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki
Many thanks all for the replies appreciated, seems there is an easy fix to the problem I was unaware of. Now I'm aware of the use of a fan I have searched the subject and it appears they are readily available and reasonably cheap, even a domestic ventilation kit is available. Anyone fitted one of the kits themselves, I'm an enthusiastic amateur on the spanners though electrics is a no no, or is it a job for the likes of Vanbitz for example ?

Many thanks

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think any auto electrican could do it but it is an easy DIY. You just need to find the correct 12 volt positive and negative wires to the fridge which isn't difficult usually found by removing the top vent cover.
There are lots of threads on here on how to go about it. Search in fridges and ovens section of forum .

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
hardest part is working out which 2 wires on the computer fan is 12v +and_ get that wrong and you get a small puff of smoke

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You can buy all the components individually and set up a system cheaply. But I didn't fancy that, so bought a CBE fan kit, which comes with everything you need. It has a thermostat and 2 fans, which work depending upon the temperature at the back of the fridge. Plenty of cool beers now.

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
Thanks all, decided to get the cbe kit as last year in South France rose was not as cold as I would have liked:beerchug:. So on reading advice bought the kit. Arrived in 3 days :clap2:. Looks well made easy to fit and runs almost silent. Just need to get off to some hot weather to try out:wine:
Hope it works as well on mine as others

OP
OP
BossHog

BossHog

Free Member
Jul 31, 2018
Fylde Coast
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

After taking on board the advise and responses to my question I have fitted a cooling fan to the rear of our MH fridge freezer. I purchased a dometic ventilation kit ( exspensive for what it is ) to hopefully not void any warrenty etc, it's an easy plug and play install, though fixing the fan in place is a little tricky due to access / room, though it fixes into prepared location indents so no drilling required with two small self tappers. To connect to the 12v supply you need to remove the plastic pull off cover with the orange sticker on the front and plug into the required outlet, which is not explained in the MFI type instructions (for those that remember MFI ) all in all about a 30 minute job......HTH others..

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks all, decided to get the cbe kit as last year in South France rose was not as cold as I would have liked:beerchug:. So on reading advice bought the kit. Arrived in 3 days :clap2:. Looks well made easy to fit and runs almost silent. Just need to get off to some hot weather to try out:wine:
Hope it works as well on mine as others

Where did you buy the CBE kit from ? couldn't find a web shop on their site.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
Sorry just seen this yes supplier is otoparts.nl. If you check site they have English translation. Superb service arrived within a few days.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back