Help " disc read error occurred" (1 Viewer)

mejulie

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Caversham,Reading
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
when I switch my computer on I get this message..."disc read error occurred press ctrl alt and delete to restart". But when you do it all that happens is the same message comes up again. Any ideas? I know absolutely nothing about computers, so I'd be grateful for any thoughts. Thanks in advance.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Good Morning Julie.

First of all...Are all the external media port/drives empty?

CD/DVD and card readers.

Did this only start this morning?

If you have the windows installation cd/dvd and you put it in the drive dows the pc try to boot from it or do you get the same message?

At Bootup do you get a message to boot into system bios?

Usually pressing an F1 key or ESC etc?

Have any disk related messages appeared prior to this?

If you can get into the system BIOS at bootup can you see the Hard disk listed?

Steve.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
It sounds like a hard drive problem.......do you know how to get into the BIOS??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Press the start button on your computer, whilst the cursor is blinking press F1 as American Dream says.

Personally I would just do a restore to an ealier date when you computer was running ok.

Jim
:Smile:

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
you can't do a restore if the disk can't be read.....

All F1 does is call up help.....

Ideally you need to try and run a DSKCHK from a dos window or check the H/drive is found in the BIOS using F8 at startup

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
you can't do a restore if the disk can't be read.....

All F1 does is call up help.....

Ideally you need to try and run a DSKCHK from a dos window or check the H/drive is found in the BIOS using F8 at startup

Sorry must have the wrong key identifier, the correct key number is shown at the bottom of the screen at start up, once into BIOS a a restore can be done.
Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
mejulie

mejulie

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Caversham,Reading
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
thanks for all the advice, my stepson will be trying out your tips later as I am bound to mess it up. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you harddrive obviously has a bad sector that cannot be read and is preventing a system boot. DSKCHK? is that a new version Chkdsk?
to run that you need to open a dos window, with no boot the start button will not appear so a system restore is not an option. Change the boot device in Bios to the CD Rom drive and insert your System Disk, (you do have one don't you?) select repair from the menu
once booted open a dos window and run CHKDSK /V/F
that will repair or flag those sectors as bad so they cannot be used again.
good luck.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Just remember...IF you do a chkdsk AND it flags up disk sector errors...Buy a new disk NOW.
Connect as a slave and transfer all valuable data.USB HDD's are relatively cheap and VERY easy to connect.

I have tried with some success to recover data from a failed disk that intermittently spins.

A long and painstaking Business...

Steve.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Good Morning Julie.

First of all...Are all the external media port/drives empty?

CD/DVD and card readers.

Did this only start this morning?

If you have the windows installation cd/dvd and you put it in the drive dows the pc try to boot from it or do you get the same message?

At Bootup do you get a message to boot into system bios?

Usually pressing an F1 key or ESC etc?

Have any disk related messages appeared prior to this?

If you can get into the system BIOS at bootup can you see the Hard disk listed?

Steve.

oh dear steve.....you didnt read the whole post, did you ! :roflmto:

I know absolutely nothing about computers, so I'd be grateful for any thoughts. Thanks in advance.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi John....

It crossed my mind but She knows a man who does....::bigsmile:

I hope...:winky:

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Wow a split personality......do you tell each other off??

Which half of you is Julie, the top half or the bottom half??:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Melvin,

Did you have any luck sorting it?

:thumb:

Any more info on when the problem occurs would be great.

OP
OP
mejulie

mejulie

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Caversham,Reading
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Steve, we had a bloke come out and have a look at it but he didn't seem to have much of clue. My stepson is now on the case. Apparently, when you switch it on the computer recognises the hard drive is there, but cant communicate with it. He thinks if he connects it via another port we should be able to get all the data from it using a usb hard drive and then we can get a new hard drive fitted and go from there. I think that's what he was saying, does it make any sense? I am totally in the dark about it but it seems his boss knows what he's doing so I'm leaving it in his capable hands. I will let you know the outcome. Thanks for your advice anyway Steve it is most appreciated. Melvin.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Melvin.

As long as the Hard Drive is still spinning, most of the data should be available for restore by connecting it as a slave / another drive on a working system.

It's when the drive physically fails that the process becomes much more difficult.:Sad:

I use a program called "Beyond Compare" to transfer data.The good thing about this is, if a file is corrupt, the transfer of data to the other drive does not stop with a message advising....You can then keep trying the transfer process and get as much data over as possible.

Also use other software if the File Allocation Tables and other files are corrupt.

We use it on server systems where the amount of data means that they have to be left unattended overnight.

It;s very successful and flags up any irrecoverable data.

Hope you get it sorted soon.:thumb:

Steve

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I started looking at this product and ran the free eval on one of my Dad's old failed drives.To get full functionality you must purchase it.

I would so love to try the full version to see if it does what we want.

Found all the files etc...

http://www.nucleustechnologies.com/Windows-Data-Recovery-Software.html

"
What is the difference between DEMO and FULL Version ?
Free to download evaluation software of the Kernel range helps the users in analyzing the features and functions of the software before purchasing it. Evaluation software performs every function and displays preview of the recovered files and folders. Due to demo limitations, Demo software will not allow to save the recovered items.
To save all the recovered items, you need to purchase Full version of the software."

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back