Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
This is the view we woke up to today. This picture was actually taken from inside the back lounge of the van.

We arrived here yesterday afternoon and this is one of our favourite wild spots. Sat outside on the rocks with some beer and wine and it was so quiet you could here the diving birds hitting the water miles away.

Now show me a campsite in August with a view like that where its as quiet as it was here last night and I might consider going. Some of you will know where this is and its not the med or France, Greece or Italy. Its only a 3 1/2 hour drive from my house!

Splendid.

Link Removed

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Correct both of you. No better place when the weather is like this. Not often we get to scooter about in shorts and T shirts up here!

Only thing I need to think about is the next overnight stop to grace with our presence!

Cheers
BD

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Here's why we sometimes stay on campsites:

Link Removed

About a fiver a night for 6 of us (can also wild camp nearby, but why would we?).
Bar, restaurant and a lovely family who run it.
We are often the only family there, out of season.

So quiet that you can hear the owls' wingbeats as they fly past in the evening, hear the lizards crinkling through the dry leaves and the sussuration of the warm breeze in the ancient and virgin forest.

And I bet the water's a feckin sight warmer than the Atlantic :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
yes you cannot beat scotland come rain or shine .but its the midges that spoil it sometimes :Eeek: can't beat a bit of wilding .:thumb:

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Looks wonderful, enjoy the rest of your trip and look forward to more pics

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
y.but its the midges that spoil it sometimes :Eeek:

that's a fact, we had to buy full head nets when we were in Skye ,

they were out in full force, flying in attack squadrons, and no amount of Avon skin so soft would deter these buggers .. cover up or get bitten.

Soundman

Free Member
May 1, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
16 Years
This is the view we woke up to today. This picture was actually taken from inside the back lounge of the van.

We arrived here yesterday afternoon and this is one of our favourite wild spots. Sat outside on the rocks with some beer and wine and it was so quiet you could here the diving birds hitting the water miles away.

Now show me a campsite in August with a view like that where its as quiet as it was here last night and I might consider going. Some of you will know where this is and its not the med or France, Greece or Italy. Its only a 3 1/2 hour drive from my house!

Splendid.

Link Removed

Is there any WiFi signal from the house in the picture?
You know what I mean!

Soundman

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Soundman

There is actually! However its secured. I have the Vodafone dongle here for the UK so not too much of an issue.

Thehutchies

Where is your fiver a night campsite then it sounds good. Looks like the Dordogne or Lot but I could be way of the mark and it wouldnt be a fiver!

Cheers
BD

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Just returned from this camp site. views shown in the pics. Looking towards the Isle of Jura from Kintyre.

Attachments

• Sail boats.jpg
    Sail boats.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 13082010553.jpg
    13082010553.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 12082010543.jpg
    12082010543.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Looks ok apart from the fact that the object to the right of pic 3 looks suspiciously like some kind of kiddies play ground type thing. Our trips have to be in child free zones Im afraid. Good view though.

The Midge report Jim at the moment is not too bad. Nothing during the day and a few at night, was worse in the lakes last week.

Cheers
BD

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Where is your fiver a night campsite then it sounds good. Looks like the Dordogne or Lot but I could be way of the mark and it wouldnt be a fiver!

Cheers
BD

Not telling, because then you'd all be going! :Tongue1:

Although, there is a play area so maybe it's safe to tell.
It's actually on the river Creuse in the Indre region, a municipal site in a tiny place called Montcocu.
In the area there are free aires, municipal and private campsites and lots of wildcamping available.
I've been around a bit :Blush: but it's possibly the most beautiful and peaceful place I've visited.
A few tourist hotspots but mostly sparsely populated and rural. Love it!

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thanks for sharing that, will make a note.

Today we had a bit of excitement out the back of the van as a bloody great Shark turned up. No I’m not kidding. It swam around for ages between us and the pier. The photo is a bit naff as I only had a phone camera with no zoom. It’s only a Basking Shark though not a Great White unfortunately but still exciting to see and the can grow to 30ft. This one was about 15ft I think. Only ever seen one before strangely also on Arran.

Link Removed

Also saw Red Squirrels and loads of Seals. No Golden Eagles today or Sea Otters but we have seen them in the past as well.

Link Removed

Weather was ok this morning but it’s now started to rain. Game over then!

Cheers
BD

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
yes you cannot beat scotland come rain or shine

Yes you can, Switzerland has proper hills and cows with bells on.

Attachments

• luz1.jpg
    luz1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 20
  • luz2.jpg
    luz2.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 14
  • luz3.jpg
    luz3.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 14

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
No Brian, the real mountains are in the Rockies. :thumb:

Attachments

• Alberta,_Canada_-_Lake_Louise.jpg
    Alberta,_Canada_-_Lake_Louise.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Banff.jpg
    Banff.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Mount Robson Canada-Rocky_Mountains.jpg
    Mount Robson Canada-Rocky_Mountains.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 17

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Thanks for sharing that, will make a note.

Today we had a bit of excitement out the back of the van as a bloody great Shark turned up. No I’m not kidding. It swam around for ages between us and the pier. The photo is a bit naff as I only had a phone camera with no zoom.]

What a waster you are Barry. Looks like a lovely spot which would of been absoloutly ace if you would of bothered to use your iphone with the gorillacam app for zooming in :winky:

Still looks like your having a great time.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Hi Keith and Jean, you are back from the Rockies then!!!

Hope you had a wonderful time, do you have any photos???

Ginny and Mike

Hi Ginny & Mike, yes my photos are in 2 albums accessible from HERE

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
The Rockies look great and I have been to the swiss alps in the van but for a short trip they are a bit too far. We did the Pyrenees in the spring which was fantastic.

Currently on the west coast of the island, quite a bit of rain last night and the midges were awful. Got a hangover as well!

Cheers
BD

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No Brian, the real mountains are in the Rockies. :thumb:

WOW. Were you lucky enough to take those ?

But the point about Switzerland is it's actually closer to many Funsters than the best bits of Scotland. You then can drive as high in metres as Scotland's highest peak is in feet. Proper job.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The Rockies look great and I have been to the swiss alps in the van but for a short trip they are a bit too far.
BD

Ah, northerners. Yes, a bit of a hike to Switzerland. I envy the southerners who can be there in a day.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Ah, northerners. Yes, a bit of a hike to Switzerland. I envy the southerners who can be there in a day.

Don't envy them Brian, they have to live in the South. :Eeek:

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I reckon even if you lived in the south you would be hard pressed to make the Swiss Alps in 3-4 hours which is how long it took me to get here. If I lived in the south the temptation to up sticks and just get a one way ticket from Dover would be too much!

Not sure what the reference to Gorrilacam is Hagnap. Please explain. Are you actually going to show me an App for the iPhone that is actually useful!!::bigsmile:

Anyway. Another succesful installation.

Link Removed

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
I reckon even if you lived in the south you would be hard pressed to make the Swiss Alps in 3-4 hours which is how long it took me to get here. If I lived in the south the temptation to up sticks and just get a one way ticket from Dover would be too much!

We lived in Kent for 30 years & yes the temptation is too much especially after the Chunnel was completed. We used to go shopping in France but then of course we had 'Duty Free'.

On this subject, I see they have closed the Tesco wine shop in Cite Europe - a sad day for all wine drinkers. :cry:

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08

Splendid.

What did you do fly there? 3 1/2 hrs from the Yorkshire Dales:roflmto::roflmto:

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
What did you do fly there? 3 1/2 hrs from the Yorkshire Dales:roflmto::roflmto:

No as we are right at the top of the Yorkshire / Durham border. 10 minutes from Cumbria, straight over the a66 I can be in scotland in an hour!

Tonights camp. Its a lovely spot but we were beseiged by a family of Swans earlier. It was really funny as another MH pulled in and the familiy went out to see the Swans and the Male Swan (Cob?) who is massive went for them. They scattered in all directions fleeing for their lives! They were sat outside our van for ages as Mrs D was feeding them bread through the back window.

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back