Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Now all you lot are supposed to be knowledgable.......................

What sort of money are good Toads worth with fully fitted and wired A frames.

Is there a demand for this type of vehicle

Peter

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
YES!!!!

Just look at the show stands and there always sold by frame supplier, plus ebay ones sell quickly

OP
OP
P

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Interesting, the post was not meant to be a plug but I actually have a couple in stock.

We had one a month or so ago which seemed to sell quite quickly and I bought a MH yesterday which had a toad on it and I was well impressed driving it 150 miles back with this car on the back which would never overtake me!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
and I bought a MH yesterday which had a toad on it and I was well impressed driving it 150 miles back with this car on the back which would never overtake me!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

Try pushing the motorhome with the car:winky:just need a periscope them:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Something to stock in the spares department Peter:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Mind you how about selling the cars and throwing the frames away:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I also want to pick brains. I have never towed a toad before and will be picking up a small car next week. A question.

When towing using an A Frame does it still put mileage on the Toad?

I know I will have many more questions to ask, but will do when I think of them. Brain dead at the moment.::bigsmile:

Lesley

Last edited:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Peter there is a new A frame on ebay for £695. Vehicle cost you may find in Parkers Guide.::bigsmile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Not on most current cars, if its an old fashion cable one though tow the car backwards and just watch the miles wind back:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
P

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Peter there is a new A frame on ebay for £695. Vehicle cost you may find in Parkers Guide.::bigsmile:

Thanks Lesley but its not just a question of 'tacking' a car on an A frame, the car has to be considerably modified as I found out yesterday.

Wiring so the lights and indicators work including brake stop lights, brakes so the foot brake automatically brakes the car, all seems quite complicated and costly. Front of the car so it accepts the A frame hitch up.

Chap yesterday gave me a brilliant 'handover' as to how its all set up and works, he did say. 'when you disconect the A frame from the tow hitch on the van, dont forget to put the handbrake on in the car' What did muggins do........................ FORGOT:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: and my drive has a slope!

Peter

Mine are all modified

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
When towing using an A Frame does it still put mileage on the Toad?
It all depends on whether the speedo is driven mechanically or electronically.

If its a modern car, it will be electronic and therefore won't be affected by being towed. It needs the engine/ECU running to count the electronic pulses.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
really cant get my head round the cost of a new A frame (frame only, not fitted)

the overrun hitch is less than £200 and the steel tubing cant be more than £50. (in the quantities they must buy)
another £50 for sundries and £50 labour to cut and weld.

a lot of profit in the finished artical.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Me finks I will stick with my electric bikes.

Well for now anyway
::bigsmile:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
i recently had a Tow-A-Car AFrame fitted, the cost was £1004 inc fitting and VAT - that was to the Smartcar. Car is an 02 and was just over 3K. Seen lots for sale around £2500 for a left hooker on an X or Y plate. Seen RHD 02 Smarts go for 4k and thats without a frame fitted. Towed it around France and never nooticed it was there, even on hills. I wish I had done it ages ago.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What sort of money are good Toads worth with fully fitted and wired A frames.

Is there a demand for this type of vehicle

Peter

Book price plus about £1k for the frame, and they are in big demand Peter

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I agree with Jim. If the price is right they will sell all day long. I have just bought a toad, (you may remember living through it with me):ROFLMAO: I got a 100hp panda. Initially I was ging to get one from the posh aframe people whom wanted £1495 for fitting a special a frame electrially controlling the brakes.

I eventually looked around and managed in true Haganap style to knock a private one owner car down from £5995 to £5300. I then had an aframe fitted for £895 so 6295 in total. Most dealers wanted at least that for a car without a frame the one at the special tow frame place wanted £7495 with no movement.

So if you look hard for the right cars and then fit them yes there is a market.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back