What Camera? (1 Viewer)

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Hi, I'm interested in suggestions as to what camera to buy :) After a fairly decent digital slr type thingy for general holiday photo's, as you may gather I'm not an expert & currently use my iphone. Help :pray2:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi, I'm interested in suggestions as to what camera to buy :) After a fairly decent digital slr type thingy for general holiday photo's, as you may gather I'm not an expert & currently use my iphone. Help :pray2:

Do you really need more than the SLR and an iPhone?

I decided ages ago that was enough for me.

But then I am a crap photographer.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've got a Sony A6000. It -can- take really nice shots, particularly with my prime lens. But you have to take your time. In Auto mode, it's not really significantly better than my phone.

Modern smartphones have a hell of a lot of processing power. That processing power means it's smarter at working out what settings to use that my Sony in Auto, so more quick shots are in focus and exposed properly. That same processing power also means they can apply really clever post-processing. Phone photos tend to have nicer exposure create photos that pop more and have better dynamic range. You can get the same effect with a DSLR if you run everything through software, but that takes effort!

In my opinion, unless you want to make a serious hobby of it and spend ages faffing, stick to snaps on a phone. You can still take brilliant shots with a phone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Bear in mind that the bigger it gets, the less likely you are to take it with you.
I moved to the micro4/3 (MFT) format to keep it small but the cameras are getting bigger and I can no longer take my full collection of lenses with me (too heavy).
Maybe a bridge camera (not interchangeable lenses)? There's a lot to choose from. Maybe second hand would provide best value. It depends on how many knobs and buttons you want to twiddle with. Is there a special genre you want to shoot (sport/landscape/street)?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Bridge I also think will do you well (y)

I had the Canon SX60 which I loved, then in a fit of need to buy something I bought the Nikon Coolpix P900 which I really like

It has the equivalent of a 2000mm lens, which is awesome and costs around £500 (y)

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Canon ixus 10x zoom video etc. Fits easily into pocket can link to phone etc via internet and then watsap to whomever. Can be picked up for less than £100.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've had various cameras over the years, not a lot but enough to know which I'm most likely to use on holiday. I had a film Zenith SLR and it was good but for holiday eventually went to a standard 3 x zoom digital, which then went to a 10 x zoom bridge camera and now a 40 x zoom Fuji Finepix S8200 bridge camera which is more than sufficient for my needs and takes stonking photos, is very easy to use and not overly heavy.

I also have a DSLR micro4/3 (MFT) with a standard and zoom lens but to be honest it's hardly been used as I can't be bothered to faff with it!

So I suggest having a good look at the bridge type cameras as there are quite a few to choose from and you are more likely to use one than a DSLR and get better pictures than a phone where the zoom is just a cropped version of the image, not a proper zoom.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Have a look at the previous 500 pictures you have taken, Have a think about the type of photographs you want to take.

Hopefully you now have an idea of what you want to capture in the way of photographs.

Your iPhone will take great pictures for about 50% of all the photo's you will ever want to take.

A bridge camera will do the next 45%.

A DSLR will be for the 5% of 1:1 macro or birds in flight shots you may want.

If you go the DSLR route be prepared to spend another shed load of money on lenses/flash guns etc.

Me I am a Canon man - Love my 1d and would not want anything else. (y)

View media item 23445

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
After a Canon EOS with various lens I have opted for a Sony RX10 3 bridge camera, exceptional zoom , no need for cumbersome extra lens .
Also bought for the pocket a Sony WX350 which fits in the top pocket, 20/40 x zoom , great when can’t take the big one.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
If your travels are photography based like entering your photo’s into camera club competitions or higher then a full frame DSLR with all the lenses would be our first choice. Echo the comments posted earlier that the bigger a camera gets the less likely you are to take it with you. We both own earlier model Canon 5D’s following many years of camera club membership but when out walking and visiting places our little Sony A6300’s produce stills and videos of such excellent quality. Don’t pay full price, watch out for deals on Amazon when Sony are also offering a cash back. Lots of reviews on YouTube.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Cannon powershot with 16x zoom on special off in Argos for 65 quid - great pictures & small enough to carry around

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Panasonic travel zooms to 70, 80,100,200. ( Sony do similar range)Lower the number older and cheaper. 100 and 200 larger sensors so better photos.
All small enough to fit into your pocket. All have ridiculous zooms , and decent anti shake.
All take movies and have a multitude of filters for effects , if your into that.plus macro and can shoot in RAW so able to really fiddle with computer afterwards.

If you are going to print photos and have huge ones then DSLRS would be required. If just looking on screens or small phots printed then DSLRs might be an overkill.
Good luck .

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
To Simbadog and anyone asking the same question - "Which Camera?"

Some good points raised above but, for now, don't get hung up on specific camera models and serial numbers, try to figure out what TYPE of camera you NEED.

There are just a few TYPES to consider:

1 - Phone Camera. If you have a good phone camera (let's say >10megapixel from Apple or Samsung) then that should be good enough for 75% of travel photos. Landscapes, groups of people, social gatherings, churches..etc. Most of all, nothing is as portable and that counts for a lot. Cons: Can be bloody expensive, more than a decent DSLR !!!!!!

2 - Compact camera. Same size as a packet of 20 ciggies, really cheap (£100-£200 or so). Very portable and with a smallish zoom range (typically 28-150mm) that covers landscapes to nicer portraits than a Phone camera can produce. The downsides are that they actually aren't much better than a good modern phone and you need to faff about in order to share images via your phone. Nice to have a small zoom though.

3 - Compact Super-zooms. Probably the best "travel camera" type. Typically have incredibly useful zoom range that would be expensive in a DSLR (many lenses required).
Slightly bigger than the true compact camera but will fit in a jacket pocket so you're likely to carry it.
These cover every type of shot, from wide landscapes to close-ups of that friendly Robin on the bird-table. They aren't that expensive if you weigh things up, £500 gets you a huge range of features but you can pay less, or more.

4 - Bridge Camera. These look like a small DSLR but have a fixed zoom lens. They typically have impossibly big zoom ranges, the sort of range that you simply can't get with a DSLR at all.
Typically they are a bit awkward to carry and won't fit in a jacket pocket but, if you're prepared to sling it over your shoulder, they cover every base for a travel camera ... and more. £450 or so.

5 - Mirrorless, interchangeable lens camera. Think of these as a compact DSLR.
Because they typically have larger sensors than any of the previous types they tend to produce better image quality BUT....it may not be noticeable. The image is only better if you really understand what you're doing. They are more than capable of taking terrible pictures. The lenses will usually be sharper than a built-in lens, usually let more light in and, on the whole, take better pictures in lower light. There's absolutely no way they can compete on zoom-range with a superzoom or bridge camera but, if you want ultimate image quality, in the smallest package, at a relatively large cost, then a mirrorless "system" is the way to go. Cost? Well it's a system so it starts around £500 for the camera and then add £150 - £200 per lens. It's easy to spend £1,000.

6 - DSLR. You REALLY need to know why you want a DSLR because they aren't an obvious choice for most people.
Pros - They are capable of taking the very best images.
Cons - The above Pro is only true if you throw money at it. An low-end DSLR system is no better than a good Mirrorless or a good Compact super-zoom and has several disadvantages:
Cons - Bulky and heavy camera. Bulky and heavy lenses. Expensive to cover a large zoom range. A cheap DLSR costs the same as a good Compact superzoom and it would be hard to spot the difference unless you've spent money on half-decent lenses. They are a bloody pain to lug around all day.

So 1-6 is in order of the likelihood there is of you being bothered to carry a camera. 4, 5 and 6 require a conscious decision to carry them, 1-3 really don't, you just slip them in a pocket.

I personally think that #2 has become almost redundant due to the advent of such good phone cameras.
Of course a new iphone can cost £1,000 so I certainly would never advocate buying one JUST as a camera, that's crazy.

SO, the question is really, what TYPE of camera do you want? Once you have established that the next question is "how big is your budget?"

Once you know what type and how much we can start discussing the various manufacturers and models.

Here are my credentials..... (I also have a very nice Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge phone which I took the photo with) - DSLR , Mirrorless camera and a Compact camera.

Canon Cameras 1.jpg

One last point, maybe the most important one. Cameras are like paintbrushes.

It's possible to take great photos on every one of the above camera types AND it's possible to take terrible photos on them all as well.

Great photos and terrible photos aren't about the camera I'm afraid, it's the photographer.

Buying Leonardo DaVinci's paintbrushes won't make you a good, or bad, painter.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a couple of bridge cameras, Fuji and Nikon. They are very good but invariably I don't have them with me. Generally I use my phone or a compact Canon camera which goes in a small bag on my belt. Its a lot quicker to take a photo on the camera rather than the phone but the phone is always with me

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
IMHO pointless splashing out on a DSLR or even a Bridge Camera if all you are going to do is shoot on 'Auto'.

Best thing we did was take a one day photography course with our own cameras (I have DSLR and wife has a Bridge) where we were shown first of all how to set up the camera to get off Auto and then how to use Aperture settings to achieve a variety of effects. Was enough to get us going and whilst I use my iPhone all the time I love getting my Nikon D5300 out to play when I want to be and look serious about taking a photo.

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
IMHO pointless splashing out on a DSLR or even a Bridge Camera if all you are going to do is shoot on 'Auto'.

I agree to a certain extent about the DSLR but some of the "Auto" modes on modern cameras are extremely advanced ("Sports", "Portrait", "Landscape" ...and so on) and allow you to concentrate on composition (which is the most important aspect) without getting bogged down in technicalities and missing the shot.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I agree to a certain extent about the DSLR but some of the "Auto" modes on modern cameras are extremely advanced ("Sports", "Portrait", "Landscape" ...and so on) and allow you to concentrate on composition (which is the most important aspect) without getting bogged down in technicalities and missing the shot.
Very true

I guess my real point is that you don't need to spend loads on a DSLR, you can get some really good compacts with all those features for less money.

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Well the future is here.
It's taken a while but Phones are now Cameras.
Huawei's latest "Phone" advert ONLY mentions the camera (actually it mentions its 4 (yes FOUR!!) cameras. No mention of anything to do with communications, just its cameras.

I wonder when it's time to change the name of them, I mean making actual phone calls is the last thing I use my phone for. The Germans call them "Handys" apparently, which makes perfect sense.

Kas

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2008
As an ex professional (now retired) I still take huge numbers of photographs when travelling. What I have found is that I was feed up lugging kit about, cameras and extra lenses. Also you stand out more in cities etc when you have a fairly large camera stuck to your forehead. As well as the space it takes up in the van so now I am streamlined for travel. My kit consists of my iPhone 8plus, love this and I process the images on iPad using Snapseed, this is perfectly adequate, in fact very good for most digital applications and posting on line. I have even sold a few. Then it is my absolute favourite the Panasonic Lumix T100 (uk) TZ110 (China etc.) now we can get all techie but basically it’s 20 Mpixel with a decent zoom and Leica glass and a 1inch sensor. It will shoot in .jpg and raw and is packed with features. Plus it’s small and not in your face when photographing people. Trust me this camera punches way above its weight. It is WiFi capable and I love it. Their is a newer version the TZ200 (surprise) but to be honest not much has changed. Check out the reviews this camera is always up thief.
Long winded but hope it helps.

Attachments

• 24D45455-A148-42EC-950D-3AC35304CCFE.jpeg
    24D45455-A148-42EC-950D-3AC35304CCFE.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 33

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
I love my Nikon’s but I love my iPhone being in my pocket for its convenience
My favourite body is the D750 for most dedicated photography needs, it can handle stupid high ISO so it can shoot in a dark cave, shoot decent fps (frames per second) for shooting high speed action with incredible detail and with my fast lens get some lovely bokeh and I often crawl about chasing critters with a macro lens. But for all that versatility I need a camera bag full of expensive kit. If I just want a snap for a brief capture, the iPhone is great because it’s always there

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
Fuji X Series Mirrorless.. not cheap but the images are superb....

I started with an X Pro 1 (that I may sell at some point) but now I have an XT-2

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Fuji X Series Mirrorless.. not cheap but the images are superb....

I started with an X Pro 1 (that I may sell at some point) but now I have an XT-2
After having had the X100F for a while, I sold all my Canon gear and bought the X-T3, a few primes and 100-400mm lens. It’s a superb camera.

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
After having had the X100F for a while, I sold all my Canon gear and bought the X-T3, a few primes and 100-400mm lens. It’s a superb camera.
I got the XT-2 for £899 brand new one day when passing through Manchester Airport.. that was around £300 less than most retailers so I bought I.. it’s better than the X Pro 1 but I still think the images are sensational from both...

I may bang the X Pro 1 body on eBay and see what it makes... it’s only sat in the loft.. I offered it to my son’s for nothing but the need to purchase a prime or small telephoto lens in putting them off ?

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I got the XT-2 for £899 brand new one day when passing through Manchester Airport.. that was around £300 less than most retailers so I bought I.. it’s better than the X Pro 1 but I still think the images are sensational from both...

I may bang the X Pro 1 body on eBay and see what it makes... it’s only sat in the loft.. I offered it to my son’s for nothing but the need to purchase a prime or small telephoto lens in putting them off ?
That’s a great price. You could try the X Pro locally, on Facebook first, there’s no fee to pay.

I’m so pleased with this camera that when the X-H2 comes out, I’m going to buy that. Rumour has it, it’ll have the same processor and AF as X-T3 but with in-body stabilisation. For handheld wildlife shots I need the extra stability.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back