Thule Omnistor or Fiamma Awning for PVC (1 Viewer)

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Taking delivery of a Rapido V55 PVC hopefully in the next few weeks. Thinking awnings do funsters have a preference any why. Thule Omnistor or Fiamma?

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
I've had two Omnistors, if I have another it'll be a Fiamma.

I find the Oministor's winding handle difficult to release at times, Fiamma's have a much simpler hook and eye arrangement.
Other than that I would recommend Omnistor ...

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

I find the Oministor's winding handle difficult to release at times, Fiamma's have a much simpler hook and eye arrangement.

I thought the same till John Rose of Rose Awnings explained it to me

He also said he had a customer drive back from the south of France with his taped to the side of the MH because he couldn’t get it out

Technique required is, hold pole at angle of about 45 degrees push up slightly then turn , it works every time for me now (y)

We did change ours and stayed with Omnistore (y)
Mainly based on strength of legs, in our opinion

Reactions: f6c

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Never had Omnistor, just Fiamma, and always found them okay ... if you are 'game' you can easily fit one yourself a lot cheaper than paying a dealer to do it, as well as the awning you just need to buy the mounting kit which has brackets that go over the lugs which are already on the top of the camper.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Unless it came with one I wouldn't bother and buy a quest pop up gazebo.
4 sides if there's just 2 of you.

Edit.
That's if you've got the room to store one.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Our Rapido v53 had a fiamma and our Pilote v600 has a Thule, must admit I never liked the Thule when we first got it, ;) ( even though our very first motorhome had one ) :rolleyes: but once you get the hang of the handle its OK, the fiamma has a loop and hook. :)
Quality is better with Thule. (y) Bob.

Garratt

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Miskin
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer D55+
Exp
Since 2017
If you go with a Fiamma F65S, get the folding crank handle rather than the telescopic handle that comes as standard. The telescopic handle is too long to fit under the bed space on the V55. I have only had Fiamma awnings so can’t advise which to choose but fitting the Fiamma with the correct brackets is very straightforward.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The Thule awning on our previous Autosleeper blew over the roof and destroyed itself in an unexpected gust of wind.
Our 21 year old Swift had a perfectly good functioning Fiamma awning but the legs were fiddly to use.
Our new van has a Thule awning, it’s easy to wind out and use.

I suppose I have no preference really. They both work and do what they should.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

If you read the instructions and do it the correct way it's a doddle, they are on a lable on the handle now. Our first one didn't have those instructions and I always found it a pain.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Another vote for omnistor here.

I was on a site in Spain about 5 years ago and there was an almighty storm. All the awnings that we’re flapping the next morning were Fiamma. I presumed at the time (but I confess I could be wrong) that the Omnistor storm straps must be better.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
If you go with a Fiamma F65S, get the folding crank handle rather than the telescopic handle that comes as standard. The telescopic handle is too long to fit under the bed space on the V55. I have only had Fiamma awnings so can’t advise which to choose but fitting the Fiamma with the correct brackets is very straightforward.
Hubby engineered ours (chopped a lump off and screwed it back together) now it fits neatly under the bed on the side wall V43.

Garratt

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Miskin
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer D55+
Exp
Since 2017
Hubby engineered ours (chopped a lump off and screwed it back together) now it fits neatly under the bed on the side wall V43.
I thought about it and decided that it was too much hassle! Highbridge were very good and did a straight swap for me so it was a no-brainer.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

I thought about it and decided that it was too much hassle! Highbridge were very good and did a straight swap for me so it was a no-brainer.

DSCF0055.JPG

Highbridge supplied us with the long telescopic handle, with the Fiamma clips. No, it doesn't fit easily under the bed of the V43.

The solution was to screw the clips at the top, inside the barn doors. The handle does fit across. The small cable ties were inserted into the sliding grips on the handle to stop them rattling.

Hopey helpy! :)

Nosmo King

Free Member
Jul 17, 2018
Funster No
If you go with a Fiamma F65S, get the folding crank handle rather than the telescopic handle that comes as standard. The telescopic handle is too long to fit under the bed space on the V55.
I chopped it down, recrimped the ends. Massive weight saving.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I chopped it down, recrimped the ends. Massive weight saving.
Blimey, I have have mine at full length & if on a slope have stand on tip toes to wind the awning out.

Leave mine on the garage floor, keep meaning to get some decent clips to mount, no point in using the crap ones that come with they always break.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Having had both before, I'd pick Thule.

I now have a Dometic and very impressed with it. Might be worth a look before purchasing.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I fitted a fiamma caravanstore,,awning it works well,,BUSBY

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Thule in my opinion is a far superior product and personality I would never fit a Fiamma.

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Taking delivery of a Rapido V55 PVC hopefully in the next few weeks. Thinking awnings do funsters have a preference any why. Thule Omnistor or Fiamma?
Did you chose your awning and which one? Im looking at both for the future. The thule seems to be lighter in weight

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Apologies. Just seen the date from this thread 🥸

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Last van had a Fiamma F45s. It worked OK, but it creaked a bit and felt a bit delicate. New van, we asked for a Thule to be thrown in as part of the price and they agreed... then they fitted a Fiamma F65s.

The F65s is more compact than the F45s and seems to be a bit more robust. Legs don't seem like they'll twist off. I'm not unhappy with it. Needs more testing in a breeze though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back