Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Having only been on the road for 5 weeks with my 3 Yorkie's I'm stunned and puzzled as to why certain sites charge a daily fee for dogs. Most state that the daily charge is for 2 people, van and EHU ( I'm on my own) but then they're asking for £1 - 2 per dog per day on top. Exactly what is the dog going to use on site that warrants a cost ? :Angry: I clean up after my lot and they're kept on the lead where required. The eldest at 15 hardly ever leaves the van so I'm basically paying for her to stay inside my vehicle ! :whatthe:

IMG_2085.jpg

Last time I checked they weren't plugging in a PSP or any other electrical goodies when I wasn't looking so we're not using more power and they can't reach the taps either or use the showers or toilets.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Been charged a fiver at Woolacombe 5 years ago.

Pitch and use of leisure centre for up to 6 £18 but dog fiver:Doh::RollEyes:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
There is not necessary any logic behind charges levied for any product or service.

If a company wants to charge customers in a particular manner then we must accept the charges or go elsewhere.

One site we visited this summer charged per family of up to 5 people. So one person in a tents pays the same as 5 people in a large caravan or motorhome - illogical but I imagine they must find the charging system satisfactory or else they would have change it.

It's not only campsites - why is alcoholic booze sometimes cheaper than bottled water? Why are some larger packets of food dearer per kg than smaller packets.

Logic and fairness do not exist in the real world.

The site owners probably want to limit the number of dogs on site.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
So far I've avoided the places that charge but now that I'm back in the grotty Midlands before I clear off for good, my choice of sites is somewhat limited. If I end up paying then I may use the facilities and give them all a shower - gawd knows they could do with one :ROFLMAO:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Basically sites can charge for what they want, a rep from haven told me that as long as they keep the charges under what it was to pay for kenneling a dog - people would pay. This was to my comment 'do they get their own swimming pool' at £6 a night charge, and that was for a pitch on offer at only £3 a night with hookup at start of season. Where as others will put an excessive charge for dogs if they dont really want them on site.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
We don't charge for dogs here, had a funster with 6 once :whatthe: and no problem. At the moment we have one motorhome with two dogs and one motorhome with one dog. All very well behaved dogs and owners ! :Smile:
See no point in making extra charges.

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Basically sites can charge for what they want, a rep from haven told me that as long as they keep the charges under what it was to pay for kenneling a dog - people would pay. This was to my comment 'do they get their own swimming pool' at £6 a night charge, and that was for a pitch on offer at only £3 a night with hookup at start of season. Where as others will put an excessive charge for dogs if they dont really want them on site.

Love it :ROFLMAO:
I may have to pay up as I need a site with laundry facilities but one day should do it.
We've just come from a site near Hull that had a list of 20 Rules & Regulations which included 'Dogs are not allowed in the toilets/showers or laundry' and 'Dogs must not be left unattended at any time as they may get distressed and bark and cause a nuisance'. I had to ask if unattended included being left in my van (they couldn't give me a clear answer) which would have meant I couldn't leave to use the facilities, get water etc. Barmy. :Eeek:

agilityeye

Free Member
Dec 8, 2009
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8 years
if and when we go to sites we have 6 dogs with us
dont know what we would do if they charged us
mind you i dont say we have them with us

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Frankly the more a site charges the more you know they don't want dawgs.

Not long ago the caravan club did a survey over sites charging for dogs so don't be surprised to see them charging next.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
We don't use sites that charge for dogs. Some that do charge don't even have dog walk facilities, so as has been said already, they don't really want dogs on site :Sad:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
We try not to use sites that charge for dogs out of principle, but there have been times we have had to. I have seen charges recently, as others have said £5/6 per night.

I think the charging per item system that is getting very common now, rather than a flat rate. It is making campsites seem very expensive. Even caravan club sites are starting to get a little pricey... a recent one we looked at worked out £42 a night for the motorhome on a serviced pitch,which for two adults and a dog i find quite high.

The irony is, when i was doing some research when looking at buying a beautifully positioned RV friendly site, the RV owners stated they would never pay £25 a night for a fully serviced pitch flat rate, no extras. That works out cheaper than a club site for a standard motorhome!

I have a theory why things such as dogs are getting charged for, and why these per-item pricing structures as becoming so common, and that is a boom in the camping industry. Demand is forcing prices up, mainly due to the owners being good business people, and raising the value of their campsite considerably, probably with a view to selling up in a few years. Can make quite a difference to the end price!

But i will frequent the flat fee parks for as long as they are around! If i want to pay hotel rates, i will book a hotel and save the fuel!

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
It does make this site I'm on at the moment with it's £14.50 flat rate - free showers, Dogs free, Visitors free - look like the place to be. Sadly it's too far out for me to be tying up loose ends before I naff off to blend in with foreigners :Cool:

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
I don't usually go to sites that charge extra for dogs. If they do then I expect extra facilities for the dogs. The least would be a fenced dog walk area or field and poo bins. Some sites even offer dog wash facilities. If sites charge I check on what is on offer.

I can understand why some site owners discourage dogs. Too many owners fail to take responsibility for their dogs. Mind you that applies to a lot of parents who fail to keep their Children under control.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I am sure that all of the funsters clean up after their dogs but unfortunately for every one dog owner that does clean up there are ten that don't.

I personally would attach a 6 months prison sentence to every dog owner who do not clean up after their dog and on the second offence I would make them eat it!

Hat on!
Doug...

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We used to stay at a lovely site near Margate in Kent, however because some irresponsible people didnt clean up after their dogs and didnt keep their dogs on leads, the site banned dogs completely.

Where dogs are allowed to be quite honest I am not surprised they charge. Dog poo bins have to be supplied, and the emptying of these has to be paid for - I believe it has to be collected separately. Then there is paying for time and equipment for staff to pick up other peoples dogshit because there are health and safety regulations relating to this.

Some places charges are extremely high whilst these days about £2.50-£3.00 per night charge for a dog seems about the norm.

I have also noticed this year a lot of sites reducing the number of pets allowed per pitch, especially during the summer holidays.

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
I tried to book up a site yesterday at Henly on Thames but they dont take dogs in High season-- do in Low season.
They have lost out on a regular booking as my son has moved to Marlow Bottom and I will be visiting them all year round.
I have booked at Hurley Maidenhead but they charge £2.00 per night so hope they have a walk and bins.
I must say though that more and more people allow their dogs off lead and dont notice when their dogs poo everywhere so I can see why the site owners are getting annoyed and say No Dogs.

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Only 1 of the 6 sites I've stayed on so far had dog poo bins, the rest just expect you to put it in the normal wheelie bins.

Arrived at this site today expecting to pay £14 for the van and £1 each for the 3 dogs but the old chap said as I was on my own he wouldn't charge me for the dogs which I thought was jolly decent of him. The vans are a little close to each other but there's an enclosed field where you can let the dogs off lead + plenty of other walks. Only here to sort out dog jabs and travel money so it'll do just fine. :Smile:

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
:Doh::Doh: take her to the shower with you,,ive got two jackerwowers took them too shower block if they r muddy :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back