LPG,, Not many to the gallon.. (1 Viewer)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Last trip out in the beast,, I fancy I was only getting about half the normal mileage..:cry: on LPG.. any idea`s..

Booked in for a full service in a couple of weeks,, but unfortunately the fitter dont know nuffink about LPG.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Last trip out in the beast,, I fancy I was only getting about half the normal mileage..:cry: on LPG.. any idea`s..

Booked in for a full service in a couple of weeks,, but unfortunately the fitter dont know nuffink about LPG.

You have the LPG system service separately

Edgie

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Not sure about Cheltenham but you live in Brixham and Steve Fricker is the fountain of all knowledge, based in Exeter Link Removed :thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Mo these are my people, cant help with nearer:winky:

Link Removed

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi, although you get less mpg from gas/lpg most people work out the price of petrol per gallon then work out the equivalent in cost for lpg ::bigsmile:That way instead of getting say 8 mpg you get = to say 12 mpg :ROFLMAO: although you will have used 2 gallon lpg :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry
My disco used to do about 15 mpg:Eeek: but on lpg/ price = to 28 mpg :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Thanks for the reply`s.. :thumb:

Best I explain,, Have not used the RV much because of house move etc,, But last time I filled up at a garage in Dorchester, drove home to Weymouth approx 7 miles, then moved to Brixham approx 88 miles, then drove back to Dorchester via Yeovil and filled up,,, took £69 worth of LPG. approx 192 miles

7 miles out of Dorchester on the Yeovil road parked up for 4 days,, bearing in mind I am almost full, left to drive back to Brixham on the same route as I went up on,, before I got home (Brixham) I had completely run out of LPG and only done approx 97 miles + the 7 miles = 104..

Which was about half the mileage I got on the last round trip.. :cry:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I would guess from my time using lpg that when you put in the £69 of lpg that the tank did not fill. This does happen, I have found a variation between pumps and the pressure they fill at and when I know for a fact that my tanks should have taken more and yet the pump rattled and stopped. I would suggest you do not panic " Mr Mainwaring" ::bigsmile: and fill up up a few more times before taking drastic measures

Larry

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I would guess from my time using lpg that when you put in the £69 of lpg that the tank did not fill. This does happen, I have found a variation between pumps and the pressure they fill at and when I know for a fact that my tanks should have taken more and yet the pump rattled and stopped. I would suggest you do not panic " Mr Mainwaring" ::bigsmile: and fill up up a few more times before taking drastic measures

Larry

Yupp Morrisons @ Port Talbots pump only half fill my tanks, really annoying so try to avoid. Reported it to them and they look at me as though I am out my mind (could be right there though:roflmto:)

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Tell the guy doing the service that the spark plugs must be exactly (same make & part number) the same as the ones he pulls out. We had nighmares with our LPG isuzu because the the service guys didnt fit the right spark plugs (weel they did fit the right plugs for the engine but not for the LPG conversion) :winky:

Have you considered that you might have a leak somewhere?? Do you smell gas at all when its parked up??

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Tell the guy doing the service that the spark plugs must be exactly (same make & part number) the same as the ones he pulls out. We had nighmares with our LPG isuzu because the the service guys didnt fit the right spark plugs (weel they did fit the right plugs for the engine but not for the LPG conversion) :winky:

Have you considered that you might have a leak somewhere?? Do you smell gas at all when its parked up??

Cheers Dazzer. The same guy serviced it last time and we have done a trip to europe and back with no problems.. No smell of gas.. :thumb:

Think"Larrynwin" may have hit the nail on the head, I never watch/see or notice how much I have put in (Just fill up and pay, whatever it takes/costs,, and my four lights seem to have a mind of there own some times four light up and others three, so never sure exactly how much is in.. :RollEyes:

I will fill up and keep a check on it before I go to Cheltenham and then to Shepton Mallet in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again..

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Thanks for the reply`s.. :thumb:

Best I explain,, Have not used the RV much because of house move etc,, But last time I filled up at a garage in Dorchester, drove home to Weymouth approx 7 miles, then moved to Brixham approx 88 miles, then drove back to Dorchester via Yeovil and filled up,,, took £69 worth of LPG. approx 192 miles

7 miles out of Dorchester on the Yeovil road parked up for 4 days,, bearing in mind I am almost full, left to drive back to Brixham on the same route as I went up on,, before I got home (Brixham) I had completely run out of LPG and only done approx 97 miles + the 7 miles = 104..

Which was about half the mileage I got on the last round trip.. :cry:

dependent on temprature the amount of LPG you get in to the tank plus the preasur at the punp used can afect the amount of fule you get in to the tank you can not acuratly do a milage check on one fill my milage goes up and down all the time but avaraged out to 8-9 mile per galon or 5Ltrs so 2 Miles per litre :thumb:
I am picking up a toad this weekend it will be interesting to see what miles I get with the car on the back
ho well almost 300miles home will give me a good idea of how much the car puts on the wallett LOL:Eeek:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
LPG requires a perfect running engine, with LPG compliant spark plugs. You can tell the temp rating on the plug code.

LPG pumps do vary as already stated, and your tank will only fill to 80%. The economy you get from your LPG will half that of petrol, negated by the price being half that of petrol - so what you get to the gallon, can be almost doubled.

The weather has alot to do with economy. Hot weather (<27 degrees) reduces economy drastically, so much so, that during hot weather it will be cheaper to run on petrol - this is due to evaporation, boiling and a few other factors.

Best system to combat this is a sequential hybrid. The hybrid is both a sequential and a single point LPG system combined. Rather than having the sequential directly pumped into the injectors, it goes via a single point waste pot which recirculates excess gas. Quite technical, and I am not a fitter, but it makes the economy much better! To give an example I was speaking to a chap with smaller c-class merc with the same engine as my e-class - he was getting 35-40mpg out of his....i didn't say anything, but mine does 65mpg on the hybrid - so makes quite a difference!

I guess that is the benefit of owning a car previous owned by a rocket scientist!:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back