Milan / Italy - Ducato Poor Door Locks / Be On Your Guard..... (4 Viewers)

FordSport

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
A few years
August 2017, ex g / f and I stopped off at a supermarket to grab a bottle to give to our local friends as a thank you for their hospitality. We had intended to be in and out, but decided to stock up, for the return journey to Blighty. On returning to the van on the left side ( a coach built 2002 Ducato ) I spotted the open glove box, then the unlocked passengers door and then the damage to the drivers door lock.
As we came out of the supermarket, we both noticed the Romanian registered older car and the elderly woman leaning up against the boot lid looking at us. She was the watch whilst the scum broke in. Cut a long story short, whoever got in , knew exactly how to open the Ducatos door ( screw driver into the plastic lock, bent it down and turn it and hey presto it's unlocked ) I was shocked at just how easy it is to break into one of these Ducatos. The 03 on Ducatos, have a larger stainless finished lock, so Fiat knew the original design was pants !!

OP
OP
F

FordSport

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
A few years
Hi Mike, hard to see the damage from the photo, but did they get the door open ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The screwdriver up the lock pops the central locking.
Happened to us too in Spain. Even smaller ding to be seen that that above.
We now have these plates
9326C7EB-23B1-472E-95AA-6C06AA7851FA.jpeg

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Mike, hard to see the damage from the photo, but did they get the door open ?

The damage is just the small "vee" in the bottom of the plastic trim around the handle above the number 4 and directly below the key hole.

Yes, they got in, if I remember they had cash/credit cards stolen.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
The screwdriver up the lock pops the central locking.
Happened to us too in Spain. Even smaller ding to be seen that that above.
We now have these plates
View attachment 283994
Could you tell us how to get these plates fitted please?

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Oops wrong quote above! Could you advise how we get plates fitted please?
We’ve also got them and fitted them ourselves. They come with instructions but I also followed a video guide on YouTube

The proplates have changed slightly but the principals are the same.

OP
OP
F

FordSport

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
A few years
Shocked that Fiat are Still making the Ducato So easy to get into!

Are the plates available for the early Ducato ?

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
Just about to fit ProPlates to my 2018 X290 and I discovered these were fitted. Has anyone else seen them? Are Fiats now strengthening the door locks, and do I need to fit the ProPlates? There is of course nothing on the outside to disuade an attempt to punch a hole beneath the door lock...
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If you’ve had the van from new, then it must be Fiat’s attempt at preventing access with a screwdriver.
However, if you have already bought the proplates, we think worth fitting them as deterrent.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Shocked that Fiat are Still making the Ducato So easy to get into!

Are the plates available for the early Ducato ?
Ford are still making the Transit and they are easier to steal l than a Mars bar from a corner shop.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Fit Heosafe on your cab doors internally and exit via habitation door.Fit external Heosafe on habitation door. Not foolproof but stops opportunists. BUSBY.

CubbyIOM

Free Member
Oct 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
A Class, twin axle
Exp
Just starting out!
Any recommendations on garage security? Any experience of either additional exterior lock, such as the FIAMMA versions I've seen, or some sort of internal grill/shutter?

Heading to the continent in mid-april, MH has large rear garage and would like to add some sensible precautions.

Many thanks :)

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
We always fit Fiamma safe door frame locks as they come with a matched key for three locks.

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Have fitted Garrison locks proplates to our Ducato.
Relatively easy to fit.
They supply a steel box with the proplate that goes onto the lower 2 fixings , I left this off initially cos I could not find a way of fitting it.

Anyway, the purpose of my post is to advise that if buying proplates you only need 1.
On the drivers side (UK)
I bought 2 and soon found out that on the door with no locking barrel (nearside in Uk) there are no 'guts' for the proplate to protect , so i wasted some money.

Of course if you have a PVC you need also to consider the rear doors which are just as easy to flip the door lock with a sharp blade inserted just below the door handle.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Have fitted Garrison locks proplates to our Ducato.
Relatively easy to fit.
They supply a steel box with the proplate that goes onto the lower 2 fixings , I left this off initially cos I could not find a way of fitting it.

Anyway, the purpose of my post is to advise that if buying proplates you only need 1.
On the drivers side (UK)
I bought 2 and soon found out that on the door with no locking barrel (nearside in Uk) there are no 'guts' for the proplate to protect , so i wasted some money.

Of course if you have a PVC you need also to consider the rear doors which are just as easy to flip the door lock with a sharp blade inserted just below the door handle.

apparently..............even on the handles with no lock, if they get under it there are cables they can get at to open, which is why i fitted a plate to each of our doors............

Jun 20, 2013
Kendal
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
since 2000 (a couple of VW campervans and a low profile Dethleffs)
Just about to fit ProPlates to my 2018 X290 and I discovered these were fitted. Has anyone else seen them? Are Fiats now strengthening the door locks, and do I need to fit the ProPlates? There is of course nothing on the outside to disuade an attempt to punch a hole beneath the door lock...
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
I realise that this is quite an old thread now, but did you figure out whether newer Ducatos are all fitted with these extra security plate features internally? I'm trying to determine whether our new van would be better secured by adding Proplates, especially if opening the driver's door lock also triggers the central locking, which in our van then unlocks the habitation door. This would make my fitting of internal Heo deadlocks to the cab doors futile, unless I fit additional security to the hab door as well.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
August 2017, ex g / f and I stopped off at a supermarket to grab a bottle to give to our local friends as a thank you for their hospitality. We had intended to be in and out, but decided to stock up, for the return journey to Blighty. On returning to the van on the left side ( a coach built 2002 Ducato ) I spotted the open glove box, then the unlocked passengers door and then the damage to the drivers door lock.
As we came out of the supermarket, we both noticed the Romanian registered older car and the elderly woman leaning up against the boot lid looking at us. She was the watch whilst the scum broke in. Cut a long story short, whoever got in , knew exactly how to open the Ducatos door ( screw driver into the plastic lock, bent it down and turn it and hey presto it's unlocked ) I was shocked at just how easy it is to break into one of these Ducatos. The 03 on Ducatos, have a larger stainless finished lock, so Fiat knew the original design was pants !!
Fitted Heosafe on mine,,one on each cab door internally and exterior one on side opening door.Also fitted clear security film on both cab door windows..Bit belt and braces but better safe than sorry. Also got beware of the dog signs on the van,,BUSBY.?

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
I realise that this is quite an old thread now, but did you figure out whether newer Ducatos are all fitted with these extra security plate features internally?

I don't know if this is a universal improvement to all Ducatos. I just decided to fit ProPlates (a) because I had already purchased them and, (b) persons wishing to break in might reason that it would be better to try another van! Sorry if that sounds a little selfish.

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Milton Heights, Milton, Abingdon, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
You guys that are fitting the proPlates do you have an alarm fitted to your vans, meaning you fitted the ProPlates as a visual deterrent alongside the alarm. Or have you not got an alarm fitted. I'm interested as I have a Striker+Growler which I always set when I leave or sleep in my van. Just wondering if I should get a ProPlate I have never seen the need ?

Last edited:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I would suggest not just to rely on a door lock but make sure you have levels of security Vanbitz strikeback or Growler would be a good start. If two vans stood next together one with an alarm and one not which do you think the thieves would target!

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
You guys that are fitting the proPlates do you have an alarm fitted to your vans, meaning you fitted the ProPlates as a visual deterrent alongside the alarm. Or have you not got an alarm fitted.

The 'van was supplied with a Thatchem 1 alarm with a pretty blue flashing led on the dash :cool:
I just fitted Proplates after delivery to dissuade some toe rag from thinking of breaking in.

Ironside

Free Member
Sep 17, 2016
Warwick
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano 695G
Exp
Since 2016
I have growler & strikeback but now I have also got proplates to fit as a visual but also because it’s too late once they have punctured the lock.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
You guys that are fitting the proPlates do you have an alarm fitted to your vans, meaning you fitted the ProPlates as a visual deterrent alongside the alarm. Or have you not got an alarm fitted. I'm interested as I have a Striker+Growler which I always set when I leave or sleep in my van. Just wondering if I should get a ProPlate I have never seen the need ?
Strikeback and growler doesn’t stop someone getting in the van, proplates do... but if some scrote really wants to get in they’ll just smash a window

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I have growler & strikeback but now I have also got proplates to fit as a visual but also because it’s too late once they have punctured the lock.
It is an interesting one, I had a car with no external boot lock you could only get in by using a cable release from inside the car yet....a professional still opened the boot without using the cable pull from the inside. I guess if you have a Growler or Strikeback it would deter the further intrusion or at least who ever opened the door lingering inside the vehicle.

It would be interesting to hear Eddie's perspective

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back