Crockery Question! (1 Viewer)

Hirondelle

Free Member
Aug 11, 2010
France
Funster No
This may sound like a ridiculous question so please forgive me! My hubby hates any sort of rattle in the car when he's driving. This morning we were discussing crockery and such like for our forthcoming camper-van. He said people would use plastic due to weight and rattling! I don't fancy plastic plates etc. What do you seasoned motor-homers use?? Any other advice on the reduction of rattling objects would be greatly appreciated!

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Plastic for exactley the reasons that your husband gives. We do carry a couple of proper plates and knives and forks because we hate using plastic to eat a meal from.
Jim
:Smile:

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Its all down to how you store things.
AND copious amounts of that rubber bobbly matting. We buy ours from cheap £1 shops rather than camping stores. We also fold the tea towel up and put it under the glass lid on the cooker hob.
Its not a silent ride , on country roads , but as near as dam on main ones :ROFLMAO:
Bev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Firstly, assume you will not be rattle-free. I hate rattles, but it is virtually impossible to eradicate all sources.
Secondly, whether you like plastic plates or not, they can be the best choice. We use a mixture of plastic / melamine / crystal plastic because: a) they are light, b) it's easy to pack them for minimal rattling, c) if they fall out of an overhead locker - and they will - they are less likely to damage a work-top or glass hob top. Most motorhome worktops are not as strong as home kitchen ones. They have to be lightweight and will dent quite easily (unless you have a super-premium job with corian tops and we're talking £100k+ motorhomes here). Replacing a motorhome worktop can be an expensive and fiddly job. Better in my view to buy decent, but relatively cheap "plastic" table wear and be prepared to chuck it and replace it when it becomes scratched or discoloured.

Philip

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Apart from bubble plastic we always carry a selection of old tea towels ( gathered over time from charity shops) and replaced when seen. These we wrap plates in and they make great noise stoppers, and gap fillers.

We also like china plates etc rather than plastic but carry extra plastic for visitors, due to weight restraints.

We also find the old tea towels handy for spills etc and wiping the odd damp dog, (we have 2) and if they don't come clean with a quick wash then they are discarded.

Hope this helps for a quiet life.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
And if it does fall out of the overhead locker (at some stage it will, trust me), plastic won't break. Take a look at some of the 'plastic' plates out there, and I think you may be surprised at how good they can be.

Upvote 0

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
We also find the old tea towels handy for spills etc and wiping the odd damp dog, (we have 2) and if they don't come clean with a quick wash then they are discarded. Dave :thumb::thumb:

I'm reporting you to the RSPCA.

Remember, a dog is for life not just for Christmas, or when they get dirty.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I use proper plates, cups & glasses. To stop them rattling I use bubble wrap between the plates and tea towels to protect the glasses. I wrap everything in the cooker (grill pan, frying pan etc) with tea towels to stop as many rattles as I can. I also use tea towels to reduce the rattles from the cooker cover. As has been said previously it's damn near impossible to make the van as quiet and rattle free as a car but bubble wrap/towels do help considerably. You will be surprised how many tea towels you'll need to carry for normal use and packing. I have a Fiamma thingy that looks like a hook and can be used to apply a small pressure on to things like bowls to hold them in place. I've looked at Johnscross's site but couldn't find the name of the thing for you.

Hope this helps

Phil

PS. I don't carry extra crockery as I don't encourage people to call for food :roflmto:

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I'm reporting you to the RSPCA.

Remember, a dog is for life not just for Christmas, or when they get dirty.

Oops senior moment!!

Dave :thumb:

Upvote 0

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
The biggest noise maker in our van is the grill pan, but its easily cured by the use of a tea towel.

Doug...

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We've always used melamine so far but have just taken out the cups and put some pot mugs (unused in a kitchen cupboard) in their place as we found that tea and coffee stained the melamine to much.

We have wire racks in the lockers which, together with a few bits or non-slip matting, sort out most rattles but it's virtually impossible to stop everything when going over bumpy ground.

We will see tomorrow, when we go to Linton Lock, whether the pot mugs rattle more than the plastic ones.

Graham

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
:Eeek:do you mean we wont get a cup of coffee offered when we call on you, unless we bring our own cups :Sad::winky:

errrr how about wine do you have glasses

Maggie,

Wine no probs! (and real glasses) wear them all the time!:ROFLMAO:

Phil

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Little ceramic mugs, but everything else is plastic. Less rattles and takes up a bit less space. Cheap stuff and old picnic hamper gear. Nothing matches, looks naff, don't care. It's for eating/drinking...not showing on the Antiques Roadshow :Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hirondelle

Hirondelle

Free Member
Aug 11, 2010
France
Funster No
BIG Thanks to Everyone for all your help/opinions/ideas. I'll be off to the supermarket for cheap tea towels asap, and will raid 'his' garage for bubble-wrap (I know he has some somewhere). I think I'll pack two normal plates and mugs - for him and me, and plastic for those that may drop in! We don't have a dog so no problem with discarding it when it's wet!:roflmto:
Thanks again - a great help!:thumb:

Upvote 0

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
My dad used to put 4 small blobs of clear silicone sealant on the bottom of all his plates and bowls etc. Once dried it just lifts them clear of each other and provides a rubber bumper between each plate when stacked. Takes a bit of practice to get them all the same size though so the plates dont wobble when you use them :ROFLMAO: (He used to trim them down with a razor blade when he got it wrong, the plate must be really clean and grease free before applying the silicone):thumb:

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
My dad used to put 4 small blobs of clear silicone sealant on the bottom of all his plates and bowls etc. Once dried it just lifts them clear of each other and provides a rubber bumper between each plate when stacked. Takes a bit of practice to get them all the same size though so the plates dont wobble when you use them :ROFLMAO: (He used to trim them down with a razor blade when he got it wrong, the plate must be really clean and grease free before applying the silicone):thumb:

What a good idea, you can actually buy the rubber blobs , they are for putting under ornaments. You peel them off a paper strip.
I dont know how they would fair in the washing up though but it would save trying to get them all the same size, and also stop things sliding around.
Bev

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

Just use 3 blobs instead of 4, then they wont wobble even if they are not quite even:thumb:

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
Full timers and crockery

Hi
We full time and dont like plastic we have both and keep non plastic in a low cupboard and when travelling push tea towels into anywhere that could rattle - test drive and you will know - weight - well couple of plates, mugs, glasses etc - not a lot. At the end of the day personal choice so perhaps test drive and find out.
Just how we found out.:thumb:
All sorts of things rattle not only kitchen stuff.:ROFLMAO:
Hope this helps
Jaen xxx

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hirondelle

Hirondelle

Free Member
Aug 11, 2010
France
Funster No
Hi
We full time and dont like plastic we have both and keep non plastic in a low cupboard and when travelling push tea towels into anywhere that could rattle - test drive and you will know - weight - well couple of plates, mugs, glasses etc - not a lot. At the end of the day personal choice so perhaps test drive and find out.
Just how we found out.:thumb:
All sorts of things rattle not only kitchen stuff.:ROFLMAO:
Hope this helps
Jaen xxx

I think my brain does - but my Hubby never hears it!

Seriously - I guess it is all a question of trial and error, and you learn (buy more tea-towels) as you go, and work out what suits you. Thanks again for all the helpful input. I'm sure once we get 'Dotty the Dethleffs' I'll have lots more questions.::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we eliminated 99% of the rattles from the MELAMINE plates etc only to hear all the squeaks from the furniture doors, over cab bed etc moving slightly.

i have a roll of 1/8th inch thick firm foam rubber for between plates etc and T towels for the grill pan, oven shelves and hob/sink covers.

believe me.....after the first hour or so, you don't notice the rattles.

Upvote 0

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I'm setting off as a 'full timer' and I've bought cheap ceramic plates and dishes from Ikea - about 35p each. I bought a roll of that white packing stuff off ebay (feels like a rubbery fabric - couple of quid) and there's a sheet of that inbetween each item and then all my cupboards are lined with that non slip shelf/tray liner (local cheap shop 99p). My china mugs stand on the same stuff and nothing rattles apart from the grill pan which I take out and put on the seat. Only plastic items I bought were wine glasses and that's only cos after a few I break them at a scary rate :whatthe:

Upvote 0
Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Proper plates and a layer of bubble wrap in between each plate works for us .Also use a couple of clean sponges to wedge them in place

Upvote 0

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I use the Melamine stuff with grip mat squares in between plates etc, but we use china mugs as the melamine ones stain, & plastic glasses. Everything in the van is seperated or cushioned with thin gripmat costs about £3-£5 for a roll depends on quality and where from but definately worth it, also use it between pots & pans.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back