HELP, problem with water pump in Globecar! (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We are just getting ready for our first outing this year and Mike has filled up with water to check the heating and water.

Unfortunately, the taps are on, the water is in but there is no sign of the water pump working.

We have located the fuse, which was blown, and replaced it but still no sign of the water pump kicking into life.

Any advice please???

Ginny

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Peter, trouble is we cant find the water pump. I was hoping @minxygirl or one of the other Globecar enthusiasts would see the post!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
you Need to remove the panel that you move to get to the drain tap and there is a large screwed cover and the pump is at the bottom of the tank.
On the Possle forum I’ve seen pictures of the pump melted, I now carry a spare pump bought from EBay.

John.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Yes it is in the water tank, so that’s first problem solved. Where did you get your new pump John, and can you give me the exact model please??

Do you think we could exchange it ourselves or is it a job for the professionals?

Ginny

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We've experienced a similar problem with our submersible pump on our Rapido pvc.

Advice from this forum resolved the problem. We unscrewed the top inspection cover for the fresh water tank and reached inside to grasp the pump. Whilst the tap was switched on I banged the pump on the side of the tank to break the airlock that had presumably formed. It worked!

No idea if such action would solve your problem, but it's worth a try. The issue for us arises after the tank has been drained down and the pump dried out.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
This is the pump which is fitted, could this be a replacement, it doesn’t seem very powerful.

upload_2019-2-13_12-46-9.jpeg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Water pumps are a constant source of problems - just do a search on here.
You won't notice a difference between 19 or 20 ltr.
If you go Reich make sure it will fit through the hole in your tank.
To replace is easy but you will need to expose the electrical connections which may be behind furniture - just depends where the tank is.
Carry a spare - lots of people do - but then I was a boy scout.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I would try & stick with the Comet as a replacement. The higher pressure of the Reich could be a recipe for leaks when showering. When you stop the flow with the showerhead trigger, the pump will raise the water pressure in the pipes to 1.4 bar when Globecar were only expecting 1.1 bar. So long as you are happy with how fast the water comes out of the tap, the lower the pressure, the better.

If the fuse has blown, I suspect the pump has seized, rather than it being an airlock issue. Can you hear the pump running when you open a tap? It is possible that a sharp tap may free a lightly seized pump, but less likely. Well worth a try though. But even if you manage to free it off, carry a spare. If it's already seized once, you are almost certainly on borrowed time.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Well we banged it on the side, still no water but there was a nice smell of burning, so accepted that the pump was broken.

Many thanks to Terry who has recommended a dealer in Barnsley, so we are on our way to pick one up now.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We bought a spare identical pump from Amazon. I know some people fit a non submersible pump which may be a route we go down ultimately ...

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Our Globecar is fitted with the Reich pump as standard.

John.

That’s interesting John, Mike has always complained about the strength of the shower - he calls it more of a dribble! Maybe the Comet was put in instead of the Reich. I’ve tried to find which pump was fitted originally but no joy as yet.

We have bought the same comet pump, but if I can find which pump was fitted originally we will buy that as a spare.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just a thought, if the old one was giving poor performance it may be wired in reverse. this would match those symptoms plus globecar install a reich pump as standard I believe. both pumps are similar in output and either can be used
german wiring confuses people as they often use blue for live

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
My Campscout dates from 2013. I'd have to go & fish to see exactly what the make & spec of the pump is, but it certainly looks more like the Comet than the Reich. They may well have started fitting the Reich to later models.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi @Teasy2007 our shower and wash hand basin tap hasn’t the same flow rate as the kitchen tap.

John.

Is it weak enough to annoy you as much as Mike?, he complains every time he has a shower!

Having just joined and read the Globecar facebook group this seems to be quite a problem we are considering fitting an external Sureflo to improve flow.

We have also decided that when we drain down we will always take the fuse out so we wont burn the pump out again. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Ginny

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
don't keep removing the fuse, as the fuseholder will get loose causing heat and the fuse will keep blowing. surely there is a switch on the control panel to turn off the pump>

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
don't keep removing the fuse, as the fuseholder will get loose causing heat and the fuse will keep blowing. surely there is a switch on the control panel to turn off the pump>

No, I think you have to fit an in-line switch yourself to do this ... can anyone recommend a suitable switch please as we want to fit this?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No switch, when the control panel is turned on so is the power to the pump ... if I work in the camper I've gotta remember to close the taps (open at the mo to prevent frost damage) in order not to burn the pump out so I'm looking at fitting an isolation switch as I forgot about it the other day ... fortunately I was only in there for a few minutes! :rolleyes:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Is it weak enough to annoy you as much as Mike?, he complains every time he has a shower!

Having just joined and read the Globecar facebook group this seems to be quite a problem we are considering fitting an external Sureflo to improve flow.

We have also decided that when we drain down we will always take the fuse out so we wont burn the pump out again. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Ginny

Does the sureflow use more current? A relay may be required to avoid burning out the tap microswitches.

Garratt

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Miskin
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer D55+
Exp
Since 2017
Wow, no wonder the pumps burn out if the pump is live anytime the panel is switched on. I would make fitting an isolating switch a priority, because when drained down, you’ll be running the pump dry anytime the habitation electrics are on.

By comparison the Rapido/ Dreamer/ Campereve range have a button on the control panel to turn the pump on and off.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Wow, no wonder the pumps burn out if the pump is live anytime the panel is switched on. I would make fitting an isolating switch a priority, because when drained down, you’ll be running the pump dry anytime the habitation electrics are on.
It's not quite as bad as that. It's a microswitch system rather than pressure sensing. So the pump only runs when a tap is also open.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I’ve posted before about fitting an isolation switch in the thread Globecar modifications with pictures.
I cut the positive wire to the pump and extended the cut wires through the underbed storage area and in plastic trunking. I fitted the 2 way switch just above the steps to the bed at the side of the bottom wardrobe.

John.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I’ve found the pictures, here’s what I posted.
The second mod I’ve done is to fit an isolation switch to the water pump because when drained down and taps left open for the colder weather I’ve turned the 12 volt control panel on and the pump as been running dry, now I can isolate the pump.

John.

dfba51bd-585e-4978-9805-e5e0e1d4ba39-jpeg.197354
ce78f9c6-a703-41e2-a53a-02fb0264c26a-jpeg.197355

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back