Garmin download failure (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
While updating my Garmin SatNav the download was “interrupted”.

As a result the SatNav has failed. Trying to load maps leads to a map screen with very little detail and our vehicle misplaced on the map.

Attempts to re-download the update just fail again.

Has anyone else had such a problem? Is there a solution?

Failing answers from our knowledgeable members I will try to contact Garmin tomorrow.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Strangely enough whilst updating a recenlty purchased secondhand Garmin Camper, there was a short power cut, about 30 seconds.

After restarting the laptop and opening Garmin Express, a message appereared saying download incomplete.

So I just went though the download again and all was ok (phew)..

Where you using Express for your update?

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Strangely enough whilst updating a recenlty purchased secondhand Garmin Camper, there was a short power cut, about 30 seconds.

After restarting the laptop and opening Garmin Express, a message appereared saying download incomplete.

So I just went though the download again and all was ok (phew)..

Where you using Express for your update?
Yes.

Express “updated” itself before I started so I know I was using the most up to date edition.

Starting “Expressl” now tells me that there are updated maps available but, as soon as it tries to install them, it gives a failure message.

After the first re-attempt to update I also rebooted the computer before trying again. Same result unfortunately.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi you could try deleting the downloaded map from your Garmin, it should tell you how in the unit, then connect your Garmin back to the computer and using Garmin express reload new maps.
HTH's

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Have you got enough space on your sat nav? Some need an extra memory card to enable you load everything.(y)(y)

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Hi you could try deleting the downloaded map from your Garmin, it should tell you how in the unit, then connect your Garmin back to the computer and using Garmin express reload new maps.
HTH's
Will try, thank you.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Have you got enough space on your sat nav? Some need an extra memory card to enable you load everything.(y)(y)
I don’t know for sure but I didn’t get a “low memory” message as shown on the Garmin site help section.

The unit is a Nuvi2595 so a bit long in the tooth now.

I’m a bit concerned as we have a recent Camper Garmin which I was going to update next. I don’t want to lose that one too!:eek:

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I've often get "interrupted" and/or failed map updates... it's frustrating...

I just persevere and re-start the process.... Sometimes it picks up where it left off (crashed) others it starts afresh....

Even if it says maps are up-to date... you should still have an option to re-install ...

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Express can be a right pain when updating so as @Fletton says keep trying I will eventually work but the capacity was an issue on one of my older sat navs and on our Camper 770 ltm-d we have a memory card in it as well to ensure updates can be installed.(y)(y) However it has its own updating when in use so don’t need to connect to a computer.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Well, we are back up and running!(y)

This is how it worked..........

I turned off both the PC and the SatNav for a couple of hours and left them in a corner. Prior to rebooting I gave them both a stern talking to, threatening them with the recycling bin. It worked!

Seriously, at the fourth attempt, following the couple of hours downtime, everything ran smoothly, the download picking up where it had left off. Apart from waiting I did nothing.

Many thanks to those who replied with advice and encouragement to keep trying.:)

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I had a similar problem, I updated my dezel t560 with the latest version of express.

However when finished some of the European countries had not loaded.

I tried again but still the same.

Rang Garmin customer services and found that the latest version of express could not be loaded on the operating system on my iMac I needed to update it to a later version.

I now have absolutely last iOS update my computer can manage so in the future I could have the problem that I gave to spend £1200 to buy a new iMac to update a £300 satnav!!!!!!

Is that progress?

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
I seem to remember being able to download the file to computer first then installing it over to the satnav? It's been a while :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I had a similar problem, I updated my dezel t560 with the latest version of express.

However when finished some of the European countries had not loaded.

I tried again but still the same.

Rang Garmin customer services and found that the latest version of express could not be loaded on the operating system on my iMac I needed to update it to a later version.

I now have absolutely last iOS update my computer can manage so in the future I could have the problem that I gave to spend £1200 to buy a new iMac to update a £300 satnav!!!!!!

Is that progress?
Easy solution, and one I intend using on my TomTom..... Don't bother updating it.
Any new roads, altered junctions, reversed traffic flow etc will all be signposted like they used to be before satnavs
You won't get lost and will get back on your planned route.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Easy solution, and one I intend using on my TomTom..... Don't bother updating it.
Any new roads, altered junctions, reversed traffic flow etc will all be signposted like they used to be before satnavs
You won't get lost and will get back on your planned route.
I tend to use the same approach in using our car SatNav. This is its first update for three years.

Our motorhome one is updated annually. Useful, even if just for reminding us of the changed speed limits in France.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back