Waste water ... blocked pipe (1 Viewer)

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Be careful if you use a plunger as you can 'blow' the joints with too much pressure.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Dont be tempted to use domestic drain ckeaners as they can melt the pipes.
That's why I only use Buster Plughole Sanitiser - and only started doing so after seeing a magazine article about it being tested on motorhome plumbing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
so you don't fancy a transgender person poking something up your waste hole??

What do call the different ones , so many varieties, I suppose “It” might fit the bill ;)
Once upon a time it was boys and girls :rolleyes:

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
hot water and soda crystals,(baking soda) leave for 10 min then fill sink and try plunger,
13641163_f520.jpg

Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
I have a drop down basin, the water tank got glogged up, very difficult to deal with but I had a drain snake from Lakeland which tickled the water flow back into action, whew, but I am so pleased to see this thread and take on board all the advice, future reference now stored.:smiley:

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
You're welcome, hope it works and the blockage doesn't have legs!
Cheers, Dave(y)

I must admit I did think of that last year when we parked up and winterised, I open all the valves and leave them open, including the waste tank, the outlet pipe is about 1.5 inches, so a mouse or rat could actually get in there ???

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
@movan I was gobsmacked at how much water had to go down before the tank started emptying. Could try leaving tap open and going for a run, look in your mirror see if you are dropping any. our 'empty' tank pours out when we go round a corner. Found out by accident when we left tap open after draining it, was on the way to farm storage thankfully not on a main road. I hate seeing waste coming out a moving van.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I must admit I did think of that last year when we parked up and winterised, I open all the valves and leave them open, including the waste tank, the outlet pipe is about 1.5 inches, so a mouse or rat could actually get in there ???

Yes one year mine was blocked by straw mouse nest .. fortunately not far in.

@scotzsue .. lol .. can't believe you put that on open forum .. I got told off once by a (thankfully lovely) Funster. . . But it is clean water. (y)

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
hot water and soda crystals,(baking soda) leave for 10 min then fill sink and try plunger,
13641163_f520.jpg

I had really, really bad blockage in my house kitchen sink once ... my own stupid fault ..

Tried everything and cursing myself for oncoming call out charge from a plumber.

Googled... Scooped water out of sink. Covered plug hole with bicarbonate of soda and small amount of water. Then covered it in white vinegar. Nothing happened.

20 minutes later WHOOSH! It all disappeared .. :) The vinegar and soda cleared the lot.

Don't know if I would use in mh... would it affect pipes and joints...? Some people think so above, so maybe only if all else fails.

@bigalw35

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Yes one year mine was blocked by straw mouse nest .. fortunately not far in.

@scotzsue .. lol .. can't believe you put that on open forum .. I got told off once by a (thankfully lovely) Funster. . . But it is clean water. (y)

Not like me i know am usually careful about what I post, the water would hopefully have been fairly clean as I sometimes empty a lot of the fresh water through the taps into the sink to flush pipes out befor laying up for the winter. We do use it over winter, but have been known to use bottles of water to save the hassle of draining down.
oops i am rambling. hope you get it sorted.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Will do. Funnily enough something happened last year and I meant to buy some thick electric wire to keep in van for such as this. A good reminder. :)
Spring curtain wire is good & works for sink & basin. It coils up small but needs storing where it'll dry.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Different plastics, my comment was based on experience. When I was helping a friend, all the pipes got very hot & soft.
So will domestic waste pipes if the cleaner is caustic soda based - it generates a lot of heat when added to water.

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
We had exactly these symptoms... But it wasn't a blocked pipe ... It turned out that the rod that connects the waste tank valve to the handle had come away from its gear (we'd pulled to much instead of just turning)... Pushed it back in and the valce then opened ...'blockage' no longer there.

Aug 10, 2012
Worthing.West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Empty Nest
Exp
Since 1972
Tin or bottle of Coke.
If you can get to it disconnect the waste pipe where it goes into the waste tank.
It can be a bit "ugh" so have rubber gloves and container ready.
A regular dose of Coke (cheapest) down the plug holes seems to help keep the pipes clean.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
I had really, really bad blockage in my house kitchen sink once ... my own stupid fault ..

Tried everything and cursing myself for oncoming call out charge from a plumber.

Should not create a problem for you ,if it takes the temperature of the hot water and clears within a reasonable 7.2 min then all will be well.
Also if the blockage is that bad sticking a bit of wire will clear a gap for the water to flow through is only temporary. Either way if the pipe needs replacing should be reasonable to do.
Ask at local college which teaching plumbing if a student is willing to tackle this task, under guidance of course from a tutor.

Googled... Scooped water out of sink. Covered plug hole with bicarbonate of soda and small amount of water. Then covered it in white vinegar. Nothing happened.

20 minutes later WHOOSH! It all disappeared .. :) The vinegar and soda cleared the lot.

Don't know if I would use in mh... would it affect pipes and joints...? Some people think so above, so maybe only if all else fails.

@bigalw35

@bigalw35

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Dont be tempted to use domestic drain ckeaners as they can melt the pipes.

Over a 20+ year period I have regularly used "Mr Muscle type" cleaners It dissolves human Hair which is the main cause of blockages. Commercial "PVC" pipework ( and I use the term as a generalisation) As they do come from differing sources. Will withstand this type of product, most where created with that in mind as the "general public" could not be trusted NOT to use the cleaning products they had been used to. Back in the 70`s we started to see welded "plastic" pipework for sanitary use on ships, they where abused by the use of all sorts of cleaners but we had less issues than with the old steel pipework. Most due the heat embrittlement in hot spaces. Imagine using Caustic Soda Mixed with Sea Water!. It was a great favourite with the stewards.!

Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
Using any product not specifically designed for use on caravans/motorhome s etc should be checked out for suitably of their use, years ago when Mr Muscle bathroom cleaner came out i failed to read the small print, I liberally sprayed my bath and tiles, by the time the tiles were wiped the product had stripped the enamel coating off my old bath, a very expensive lesson.:(

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
@movan , have you confirmed that it is, indeed, a blockage?

Adding more water didn’t result in any water coming out of the waste pipe?

Ian

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

Ian

Hi Ian .. not managed to get back to the farm yet .. but hope to this week. Will let you know then. :)

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

Ian

Yeah yeah yeah.... :) thank you .... yes more water ... big gush of water... :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back