Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
Okay so some of you were right and i bow to your knowledge, my navara is not man enough to pull my 5er up hilly areas and certianly not suitable for reversing up any sort of incline.

Im looking at yank pick ups as i dont want a mini artic, has anyone got any experience or views on the following

Dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4.6 V8 or 5.7 Hemi
Dodge ram 2500 quad cab
Ford F150 super crew cab

Thanks

Neil

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Why go yank - try a Land Rover happily pulls 3.5 tonnes anywhere - was built for the job - Chatter tows with an Isuzu

OP
OP
Wheelie

Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
Why go yank - try a Land Rover happily pulls 3.5 tonnes anywhere - was built for the job - Chatter tows with an Isuzu

Land rovers do not have enough elbow room for me and chatters 5er is 600kg ish lighter than mine, so yank i think is the way for me (possibly and over kill) buti will have the option to upgrade my 5er when i wish to something larger

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I had a Dodge ram 1500 quad V8 5.7 Hemi now that could / would pull anything but only did 10 mpg :whatthe::ROFLMAO: what about a range rover ?

terry

Deleted User
I pull our Ultralite with a Mazda BT50 rated at 140bhp, around 30 less than the Navara, and find this adequate to pull just short of 6000kilos all up.Admittedly you wouldn't win any races in it and use of the gearbox is essential and a sixth gear would be useful,you must realise you are driving a fully loaded light commercial vehicle and cannot expect to climb hills etc at the same speed as a car. I very soon realised that both first and reverse gears are far too high for slow speed manoeuvering and always engage low ratio four wheel drive which is manually selected on the Mazda.
In the two years that we have owned the 5er we have travelled over 14000 miles throughout Europe, averaging 19/20mpg, including a trip over the Alps through Italy into Croatia with no major problems so far(touch wood).
I must admit it would be nice to have a bit more power on occasions but overall I am very pleased with the overall performance of the Mazda and it is compact enough to take solo into small towns throughout Europe without difficulty.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Land rovers do not have enough elbow room for me and chatters 5er is 600kg ish lighter than mine, so yank i think is the way for me (possibly and over kill) buti will have the option to upgrade my 5er when i wish to something larger

true neil but my truck has a higher payload than a nav and thus far i havent suffered any of the probs that blight navarra owners who are using them to pull 5vers. I also know folk that pull 5vers with the ford ranger who are quite happy
with the performance and have had no clutch etc related problems

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Okay so some of you were right and i bow to your knowledge, my navara is not man enough to pull my 5er up hilly areas and certianly not suitable for reversing up any sort of incline.

Im looking at yank pick ups as i dont want a mini artic, has anyone got any experience or views on the following

Dodge ram 2500 quad cab
Ford F150 super crew cab

Thanks

Neil

Hi.

I used to have a Dodge 250 hd with a cummins engine ,with what you want to tow you would not know it is on the back a superb vehicle.

The downside is going in to small towns etc , as with fuel you should get around 15mpg and if you are thinking of buying a yank then the fuel should not be an issue , we are on our third american and we love them and I do not care what people say about the fuel consumption!!:thumb::thumb:

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
We have a couple of Nav's nd love them to bits......but don't use to pull anything!

But did I not see somewhere that the new Nav is a 3ltr V6 diesel......and did I read wrong ...... an 8 speed GBox.

OP
OP
Wheelie

Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
We have a couple of Nav's nd love them to bits......but don't use to pull anything!

But did I not see somewhere that the new Nav is a 3ltr V6 diesel......and did I read wrong ...... an 8 speed GBox.

yes your right but at 33k i wont be buying one :Eeek:

I love my navara for normal driving but ive lost confidence in it for towing the 5er, i just had a new clucth under warranty, i tried to reverse out of a field in wales in LOW box and spun the new clutch, i now feel its not for the job and dont want a ÂŁ1500 quid bill for another clutch. also my 5er weighs in at 2900kg empty which is approx 400kg heavier than stated, i just feel its not for me anymore

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Ford F150 Trident,, Economical Solo and pretty good return with a 33ft unit.. :thumb:

If my memory serves me correct,,, 18-20 solo and 14-16 rigged up,, and rig was always well loaded for long term continental touring including Genny,, and tons of stuff we never even used.. :Doh:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Couple of years back we passed a 5th wheel at the French customs going into France, he overtook us later on doing around 80mph on a hill . It was the one with the dual back wheels, Dodge Ram? his 5th wheel was a biggy, can't see anything else coming close to that.

Landy? noisy, drafty flipping things.

Olley

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
I admit that we are more than a little biased---------------in England we have been running a5.9 Cummins powered Ram to pull our 5er and carry our (quite large) truck camper for about 3 1/2 years.
We have bought another one to do our little US road trip------do you need to ask why???
We have seen thousands of 5ers being pulled by all-sorts--but the thing they ALL have in common, is nothing smaller than a F250- Dodge 2500-------a lot use trucks like ours, 3500 dually. These trucks with diesel engines are expensive ----even in the US, but I believe that, although noisy, diesel is better for the job (especially in England)
You have to drive the Cummins to understand the torque !!!!!!!!!! (a guy with a diesel Chevy. told me that they have even more power ??????)
I prefer to run a truck that has a bit of 'spare' power.:thumb::winky:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
Nigel & Pamala
Alaska
BTW we COULD run at 80 (if it were legal) but for fuel economy we stick to 60 mph ---even diesels CAN drink fuel !!!!!

coupey

Free Member
May 30, 2010
Gateshead
Funster No
MH
5th Wheeler
Exp
I have a Dodge 2500HD 5.9l cummins and love it, its far better than all my previous trucks by miles, L200, Nav's, Chevy, Hilux. It has plenty of power and with our old 5er you could often forget it was on the back, our new one if it ever arrives will be slightly heavier and was only bought because I knew the truck would pull it with ease.
Yes the fuel consumption is a tad on the low side but as a plus its higher than our supercharged range rover:ROFLMAO:
I have no problems with the size of vehicle and use it every day for work, I visit different clients daily and have no major issues parking or getting about towns and villages.
The biggest difference I noticed going from a Hilux to the Dodge was stability whilst towing, with the Hilux I never felt 100% in control of the 5er at speed, yes it was capable of over 60, if that was allowed, but you had to have your witts about you :Sad: Towing with the Dodge was a totally relaxing and much safer feeling and I'm looking forward to towing our new 5er if and when it turns up

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Landy? noisy, drafty flipping things.

Olley

Come on Olley what land rovers have you been driving they came in to the 21 century a long time ago

Defender 110 Td5 XS spec
2.5 litre turbo charged 5 cylinder engine -
heated seats
heated windscreen
heated mirrors
central locking
cruise control
electric windows
leather unpholstery on reclining seats
air conditioning ( and not by opening the window !!)
Hi Low transfer box
5 speed standard gearbox
22/23 to the gallon pulling 3.5 tonne 5'er can go to 4 tonne on power brakes
32 to the gallon normal running
cruises solo comfortably at 75/80 mile per hour all day tops out at 104mph if you want to risk your licence

Mods done but NOT essential

Air Ride rear suspension
Heavy duty winch to pull out other RV's !!
Power chip to raise the torque to a modest 290ft lb @1750rpm and 195bhp

and much more but I won't bore you

Come to Shepton rally and I will take you for a run out :thumb:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years

Dodge ram 2500 quad cab
Ford F150 super crew cab

Thanks

Neil

At Last!! A man who has seen sense! Well done and good luck with your search. Wouldnt use anything less than a F250 or a 2500 on a big 5er but my F150 will pull up to 28-30 footer without breaking into a sweat :thumb:

So yes I have lots of experience with my F150 Lightning. It does about 20mpg on a run and around 14ish round town. I use it for towning a bloody heavy trailer with an access platform on and it does so effortlessly (unlike the crap Nav I had before which couldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding!!!). Its easy to drive, easy to park, cheap to tax and insure and will out do a Porsche from the traffic lights. I LOVE IT!!!!!!

coupey

Free Member
May 30, 2010
Gateshead
Funster No
MH
5th Wheeler
Exp
I'm all for land rovers, here's my old one, taken whilst doing a winch challenge in southern Ireland

Attachments

• midsummer madness 06 028.jpg
    midsummer madness 06 028.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 38
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Come on Olley what land rovers have you been driving they came in to the 21 century a long time ago

Come to Shepton rally and I will take you for a run out :thumb:

OK it was 20 years ago, and they were dock run abouts. :ROFLMAO: Part of the dock area next to our workshop was waste land, and we used to take the landy over there and race it over the piles of dirt and rubble, great fun.

Olley

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Ram and the F250 are both good choices, and may be a cheaper option as there are a few in the UK.

The other option, if you like the Navara, is to import an Oz-spec one, which has a 4.2 petrol engine (not available in the UK) These are the old patrol engines, and will tow a house down all day long.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Hi Wheelie

I have owned and run just about every yank pick up made.

The Dodge Diesel loads of pulling power but a bit like a Nissan Navara in the wet. They are very popular in the Uk because of availability and price.

The Ford F250 super duty Diesel my own opinion the best, good all rounder loads of power and quick but more exspensive.

The Chevrolet again my opinion but I don't rate the diesel but the petrol is the strongest of the all the petrols. (at the risk of having bricks thrown at me:roflmto::roflmto:)

Chevrolets are a bit thinner over here because GM will not sell a new Chevrolet in the USA for you to export it has to be registered to a US address, both Dodge and Ford will.

Not trying to sell it to you but I do have a Ford F250 super duty diesel 2004 Harley Davidson limited edition for sale due to my RV purchase.

I also own a Chevy Petrol you are welcome to come and drive both to compare, not with the view to buying one of mine just to try.

This is my personal opinion but hope it helps.

All the best and good luck Rick.

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
Hi Rick

I am beginning to think that MHFun has a direct link to my small brain [re recent topics that I was doing anyway].

Like.............I have just returned, moments ago, from looking at a F250 Harley D pick-up. Still not sure as it will be for Morocco only.......but, can you PM me details or your email address........

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Hi Rick

I am beginning to think that MHFun has a direct link to my small brain [re recent topics that I was doing anyway].

Like.............I have just returned, moments ago, from looking at a F250 Harley D pick-up. Still not sure as it will be for Morocco only.......but, can you PM me details or your email address........

Hi Detourer

PM sent thanks Rick

OP
OP
Wheelie

Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
Hi all
Thanks for all the replies, i think the F250 is too big for my little 5er, i did speak with a guy today who has one for sale it has the 7.3 ltr turbo diesel cummings engine with a superchip, for just under 8k. Dazzer, if there was only 2 of us i would probably go for the lightning but there is 4 or 5 of us so i need a quad cab, I went to look at a ram 1500 quad cab with the 4.7 V8 magnum engine today it was the sport version. its done 125000k and the engine sounds as sweet as a nut, im having trouble finding out the exact weights its so confusing. I think this one is GVW is 3017kg with a payload of 1750 kg plus a towing capacity of 2200 so gross max train weight should be around 7000kg please correct me if im wrong. They do have a hemi there too, 5.7 V8 but its just out of my price range.

Cheers

Neil

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Hi all
Thanks for all the replies, i think the F250 is too big for my little 5er, i did speak with a guy today who has one for sale it has the 7.3 ltr turbo diesel cummings engine with a superchip, for just under 8k. Dazzer, if there was only 2 of us i would probably go for the lightning but there is 4 or 5 of us so i need a quad cab, I went to look at a ram 1500 quad cab with the 4.7 V8 magnum engine today it was the sport version. its done 125000k and the engine sounds as sweet as a nut, im having trouble finding out the exact weights its so confusing. I think this one is GVW is 3017kg with a payload of 1750 kg plus a towing capacity of 2200 so gross max train weight should be around 7000kg please correct me if im wrong. They do have a hemi there too, 5.7 V8 but its just out of my price range.

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil

The 7.3 Should be an international not a cummins mine is the later 6Ltr.

The 4.7 Dodge is a good engine with the miles on it check the front wheel bearings as they only come as a complete hub and a pricey and if it has been used for putting a boat in the water check the rears and the axle, remember skittish in the wet though not as bad as the SRT10.

See if you can find a chevy and compare the drive as I said I have a chevy you are welcome to try it though it wouldn't be any good for a 5th wheel as it is an Avalanch.

Cheers Rick

PS the weights should be on the door shut or B post

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi all

Cheers

Neil

Have a look at the F150 Harley Davidson, its got 5 seats and the same engine and transmission as the Lightning, its also a lot nicer inside than the Lightning with a few more toys :thumb:. As said the weights will be on the driver or passenger door posts near the lock striker plate. Weights will probably be in pounds though so you will need the conversion and a calculator to work it out in kgs. I got this information for mine from Ford in the USA, not sure if its any help to you but here it is anyway :winky:

According to your vehicle type and configuration, your vehicle is a 2001 Ford SVT F-150 Lightning Regular Cab (4x2) Flareside with a 5.4L 2V Triton Supercharged Intercooled SOHC SFI V-8 Engine, a 4-Speed Automatic Overdrive Transmission (4R100 HD), a 3.73:1 Limited Slip Rear Axle Ratio, 120” Wheelbase, 18” Tires, is equipped with a Class III Trailer Towing Package, and has a maximum Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of 13,500 pounds. The GCWR is the combined maximum weight of your fully loaded truck and trailer. The maximum Loaded Trailer Weight is 8,800 pounds. The maximum Frontal Area of the Trailer is 60 Feet.

By subtracting the GVW from the GCWR, you can determine a comfortable towing maximum. It is important to remain within this limit and to not exceed the GCWR.

fugglestick

Free Member
Jul 24, 2010
Funster No
Truck to pull a 5ver

I tried out the new Acenta Navara last month, pulling a Dreamseeker and it absolutely peed it. In Wales, up and down the hills no problem at all, and the 5ver was loaded. Cruised 70 and plenty of pull.

That was the 190 Nav, though so dont know what the old D40 would be like.

For what its worth.

Fuggs

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I tried out the new Acenta Navara last month, pulling a Dreamseeker and it absolutely peed it. In Wales, up and down the hills no problem at all, and the 5ver was loaded. Cruised 70 and plenty of pull.

That was the 190 Nav, though so dont know what the old D40 would be like.

For what its worth.

Fuggs

the old navs pulled the 5thwheel company units ok its the bits added to the engine that you need that fail eg -clutches and nice things in the engine management system if your really unlucky that cost a fortune to replace

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:why not get it re maped:Doh::Doh: i got my ducato 2.8 done,, it will keep up with you on the road at 90 easy,, but the main thing is touque its got tons,, i live on a 1.4 hill and pulls the 4 tons of m/h up from a standing start no probs [ no ero van judder ]:thumb::thumb::thumb: the re map was done by WOW tuning ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back