Aire after leaving Calais and do I take the bike? (1 Viewer)

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
I hope to arrive in Calais midweek late in the evening. Where is there a safe aire a few hours drive south of Calais? I thought about Aire de Somme on the autoroute but that is on a toll road and I might want to avoid the toll roads.

Secondly, do I take a bike or two. I don't have a bike rack and will need to come up with some way of stowing it/them but is it worth taking a bike to France to nip around on?

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
have a look on here you will find all the aires ....
Link Removed

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Bob

There are 2 aires at Le Touquet, both safe and about an hours drive from Calais. Alternatively you can overnight safely at the ticket office car park at Calais port, many people do, you will not be alone.
From experience I can only advise you DO NOT stop on the motorway aire at the Bai de Somme service station on the motorway, it is notorious for break ins.
Have a great trip

Brisey

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
BobProperty

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
I have the campingcar-info info but was looking for knowledge of what would be safe and available. Some of those aires have only 4 spaces so not much point heading for one of them late evening I would have thought.
I've stopped at Bai de Somme previously at stupid o'clock in the morning and there were a few motorhomes and caravans about, and I felt it was OK.

Any thoughts on the bike(s)?

odchamp

Free Member
Aug 6, 2010
Funster No
aire what is it? safe place to stop?
sounds like fun this heading off to the sun!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Bikes are a must in my opinion.

The aire at Gravelines just outside Calais is excellent :thumb:
I totally agree, but the Gravelines Aire is very popular, and is often full by mid afternoon, but it means that you are heading east.
Le Touquet has two Aires which are quite large, so you shouldn't have a problem getting in. Pay at the machine in the morning, (before the ticket warden arrives) if arriving very late.

Brisey's advice re the Autoroute Aires is of paramount significance. Many MH'ers have found this out to their cost, (including some of our members on their way to Parc Verger), so please don't say that you weren't pre-warned.

Aires off the Autoroute, in towns and villages never seem to be a problem, and please remember, if it doesn't look right or feel safe, it probably isn't.

Safe travels,

Jock.

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
The aire at Tardinghen is fabulous. Ignore the info in the 'All the Aires' book and look at the website.

http://www.sitedes2caps.fr/

15 minutes from Calais heading south. Three areas for camping - we have stayed on the Fleur des Champs twice which has space for loads of vans and has a fabulous view over the Channel to Dover. It was also great for the dogs with loads of space to run.

Facilities are at the farm. 5 euros a night including water and waste - extra for electric if needed. Apparently a bread van visits each morning but we were there last in June and did not see him :cry:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
aire what is it? safe place to stop?
sounds like fun this heading off to the sun!

Yes, an aire is a stopping place for motorhomes in france usually very cheap or free, some are in beautiful locations others are no more than a carpark type of thing. they are usually found under the signage aire de camping-car.

There are 4 different types of aire in france but the one for motorhomers is the camping-car one look at the link in one of the other posts to give you an idea or check out posts by heyuplad who has posted some beautiful locations on his travels

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I hope to arrive in Calais midweek late in the evening. Where is there a safe aire a few hours drive south of Calais? I thought about Aire de Somme on the autoroute but that is on a toll road and I might want to avoid the toll roads.

Secondly, do I take a bike or two. I don't have a bike rack and will need to come up with some way of stowing it/them but is it worth taking a bike to France to nip around on?

We always go to Marbouie, about 4 hours south of Calais. It is a beautiful free aire, at the side of a nature reserve and river.

You can stop for a couple of hours during the day on the motorway, but we would definitely never overnight.

Ginny

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back