LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We're buying a new PVC, that is to say a new conversion on a pre-reg van, in roughly 6 weeks time.

We have the registration number and the Chassis No. but when we pay for it the log book will still show it as a van, we will then send off the log book together with all the photos etc and details of work carried out which will be supplied by the converter, and then we can get the log book changed to show that its a motorcaravan.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-a-motorhome#how-to-change-v5c-classification

Is the above a normal thing?

When we collect the van it will still be registered as a van and having already looked at some insurance companies they don't seem to insure vans but will once it's converted.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I would have thought the converters would do that, unless you provided the van and they fitted it out to your specification. :D

@PenelopePitstop Marie and Rex, I think it was, did similar with WildAx there was a new build on an secondhand van, ;) or it could have been @Viennese. :LOL: Bob.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I use Adrian Flux Insurance - had my van insured for 6 months as a 'van under conversion' & then for last 3 years as a 'motor caravan' (dvla definition) try them, you get to speak to actual people! Unlike some they dont make a charge for changes.

The process of getting DVLA to change the V5 is simple and the information is available on the DVLA website, including a sample letter. I'm sure that Devon will give you all the information required, as did my converters (Platinum)

DVLA took about a week to re-issue V5

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I would have thought the converters would do that, unless you provided the van and they fitted it out to your specification. :D

@PenelopePitstop Marie and Rex, I think it was, did similar with WildAx there was a new build on an secondhand van, ;) or it could have been @Viennese. :LOL: Bob.

I use Adrian Flux Insurance - had my van insured for 6 months as a 'van under conversion' & then for last 3 years as a 'motor caravan' (dvla definition) try them, you get to speak to actual people! Unlike some they dont make a charge for changes.

The process of getting DVLA to change the V5 is simple and the information is available on the DVLA website, including a sample letter. I'm sure that Devon will give you all the information required, as did my converters (Platinum)

DVLA took about a week to re-issue V5

Devon told me what the process was when they phoned to say the van was in, I'm guessing because it was a pre-reg rather than a new van which would have been registered on finish as a motorcaravan. It only has a "nominal" mileage which should be just delivery but it hasn't been used - all the benefits of a new van but saving £10k on the cost :)

I'll give Adrian Flux a ring and see how I get on.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Our daughter converted a transit mini bus and used Adrian Flux, but you would think the converter would do it, I wonder if @Terry does when he converts vans. :D Bob.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You coukd try some of the self build forums and see what they do?

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008

Both of us I think Bob - mine certainly, but WildAx did all the registration work, although I remember not everyone's was done, some still registered as light goods vehicle, mine was done correctly.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
my converter sent the V5 off to dvla change to my name .comes back as van . change insurance on new van to motocaravan with safeguard on pick up date . take V5 and insurance docs to pick up new van .office member goes to post office tax camper and change on V5 to motorcaravan post office send off photos and changed V5 to dvla two weeks later received V5 changed to motorcaravan

OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
my converter sent the V5 off to dvla change to my name .comes back as van . change insurance on new van to motocaravan with safeguard on pick up date . take V5 and insurance docs to pick up new van .office member goes to post office tax camper and change on V5 to motorcaravan post office send off photos and changed V5 to dvla two weeks later received V5 changed to motorcaravan
Devon went through it on the phone with me when they got the van in - they'll give me the logbook and I need to fill in the relevant section and send off complete with the information/photos which they'll give me, and when its returned from DVLA it will be changed from van to motorcaravan.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999

Yes we bought a van from WildAx. It was a second hand van procured by WildAx and then converted. We had no problem insuring it with Safeguard. WildAx did all the photographic work and sent it off to DVLA to change the van from commercial to motorcaravan. After we collected the van we just had to wait for the V5 to be returned to us.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Is the van being converted by a smaller bespoke business?
If this is the case best practice is to have the van taken to the local VOSA inspector to get individual type approval as unlike the larger volume producers such as WildAx,Devon or IH, photo's don't suffice as they aren't production line built, i:e prefabricated standard interiors made to fit with fillers and wedges. Smaller converters build their cabinetry to the vans tolerances not the other way around.

Having previous experience, I'd recommend a VOSA individual inspection if it's the former as then you'll know the van is up to scratch as the inspection is far more strict and you'll be assured of a quality product. We used to this will all our vans.

Motorhome Facts which now comes under the Comfort brand always insured type approved PVC's built by those who's company name wasn't necessarily on the database.

As I mentioned on another thread, large volume converters import all their base vehicles as standard panel vans whereas some small converters source their pre registered vans from individual dealers who import them solely to be motor caravans which will then have some conversion software and hardware fitted on the factory production line... CANbus alterations, 12v battery splitters and upgraded alternators... another example, SEVEL, VAG, Renault & Ford will factory fit their approved reversing camera's into the recess around the reg plate with the TFT screen built into the dashboard media or sun visor rather than having an after market rather clunky set up fitted afterwards, they're far cheaper too. This was our preferred method.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back