Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
My van came complete with a Maxview satellite dish and I've bought a Freesat box after reading a few posts on here. Only problem is I seem incapable of getting a signal. An engineer friend of mine set it up at the weekend and gave me a rough guide of angles and where to point the dish in relation to north but I'm getting zilch. I've put in the new postcode (on freesat box) of where we are now but getting 0% signal no matter where I point the dish or how much I tweek the angle.
As I intend of travelling around Europe I'm not sure I have the patience to do this every time I move and I'm seriously thinking of selling dish and box and resigning myself to a life without TV :cry:
Can anybody help ? Having a trapped sciatic nerve isn't really helping my mood with twiddling dials on the ceiling :Angry:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

A common problem with the Maxview dish, the LNB arm doesn't fold down properly .. it depends on gravity and it sticks easily .. It caught me out a few times..

If not that then check the cable connection at the LNB .. it also comes loose

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I'm a complete technophobe - what's an LNB? Cable and everything was checked at the weekend and worked fine when he set it up.

Most people on the sites I've been to seem to have freestanding sat dishes - would this be an easier option? Van doesn't even have a normal TV aerial so I've now been TV - less for 5 weeks and it's driving me insane. :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm a complete technophobe - what's an LNB? Cable and everything was checked at the weekend and worked fine when he set it up.

Most people on the sites I've been to seem to have freestanding sat dishes - would this be an easier option? Van doesn't even have a normal TV aerial so I've now been TV - less for 5 weeks and it's driving me insane. :Eeek:

The LNB is the signal receiver on the arm of the dish.. climb up an ensure the arm is folded out fully .. as I said it quite often sticks . not that you will notice from the ground .. it may look ok but may be stuck just a few degrees from being fully down.

The Maxview is really easy to set up.. and IMO easier than a free standing dish, so persevere . once you master it you can usually set it up in a few minutes

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
are you using a satfinder or relying on your judgement ?

free standing dishs are a pain in the a**e...personally i wouldnt bother.

you could wander all over the field and still not get a signal and if you do it will soon go if the wind gets up.

im assuming you have a maxview crankup dish.....

using a compass find north,
turn the outer bezel to face north,
turn the inner bezel to somewhere on the yellow scale almost opposite north.
set the elevation (crank handle) to approx 23deg in the little window.

connect a satfinder between dish and receiver.

set your receiver to find Astra 2 within its menu's.

turn the dish VERY slowly within the yellow zone....there is a slight delay between finding the signal and getting a picture.

once you have a signal use the crank handle to raise or lower the dish and rotate the dish VERY, VERY slowly until you get a good strong signal.

without a satfinder you could go dizzy trying to find the sattelite.

PS....my sympathies with the sciatica......i had it for weeks on end so i know how painful it can be.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Van doesn't have a ladder so climbing up may be a bit tricky.

Yes, it would be :roflmto:

try a broom handle or something that can reach and give the arm a gentle tap downwards ..

If this proves to be the problem then you will need to get onto the roof one way or tuther and spray the arm joint with some WD40 ..

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010

you could wander all over the field and still not get a signal and if you do it will soon go if the wind gets up.

turn the dish VERY slowly within the yellow zone....there is a slight delay between finding the signal and getting a picture.

I'm using a compass which I'm convinced is as reliable as a wet sock and that's it. I have a Satfinder someone gave me but not used it as they thought it was broken !
My engineer friend told me to do the following which I think is close to what you've suggested

Find north with compass
Set outer dial N in line with compass N
Set inner white dial to around 140 on the yellow line
Crank angle to around 25 deg

(May have to play around with last 2)

If there's a slight delay in getting a signal/picture that may be where I'm going wrong as I tend to expect everything to happen instantly.
When you say set the receiver to find Astra 2 do you mean the freesat box? I'm being a right blonde....:Blush:

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Yes, it would be :roflmto:

try a broom handle or something that can reach and give the arm a gentle tap downwards ..

If this proves to be the problem then you will need to get onto the roof one way or tuther and spray the arm joint with some WD40 ..

It'll be a very very long broom handle, I'm 5ft 4 and the vans a Bessacarr E765 so I can barely see the dish let alone reach it.
It's times like this you need a man with ladders :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Yes box has to be set to astra 2. ::bigsmile:

Splendid. My next dumb blonde question (I'm usually purple) is how do I do that?
Freesat box is a Bush BFSAT02SD SD Digital box. All I get up is the 'first time install' screen which allows you to put in your postcode ( I'm assuming of where you are at the time) and your tv screen size, then it searches for a signal but I can't get onto any other screen?! :Doh:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
There will be a "menu" button. Click that and look for satellite or similar then you will have to scroll through a list till you find Astra 2 which is the one freesat is bounced off. Lock the box onto that and orf you go. :Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as its a new box you will have an instruction book.

look up 'parameters' or 'selecting/choose sattelites' in the setup menu :thumb:

:Doh: i should have read the other posts first.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Reading the manual is always a last resort for me. I reckon I can suss it myself...does give Steph a few laughs along the way. :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Reading the manual is always a last resort for me. I reckon I can suss it myself...does give Steph a few laughs along the way. :ROFLMAO:

The manuals not much help as it says nothing about settings for certain satellites. I can't attach the satfinder as my mate kindly fitted the box under a cupboard and there's not enough room to get to the back.
Ever get the feeling you shouldn't have started something? :shout:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
resigning myself to a life without TV :cry:

Humans have suffered worst fates.

We stack up a load of classic DVDs.

Just bought Maigret and Rumpold of the Bailey for next big trip.

Or you can just listen to the advice and beat that damned dish.

I assume you know they don't work through trees ? Rain is iffy too.

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I know the bit about trees but everyone else on this site (near Rugby heaven help me) has reception.
If I can't figure it out I may aswell sell it rather than lug it round on the roof like a useless ornament :Angry: I only wanted to be able to watch F1 and the MotoGP, i couldn't care 2 hoots about the remainder of UK telly

Doddy999

Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
If I am not mistaken, probably am but is a sat receiver whats needed to pick
up the Astra sat? not a freeview box, just a thought.

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
It's a Freesat Box not a freeview box - TV has that built in.

I'm getting nowhere and think my compass is giving me fake readings so for the sake of my siezed back I'm giving up yet again. Selling it all seems like an attractive prospect :Angry:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Not freeview that's the digital channels from an ordinary ariel. Freesat is what he is after and that is bounced off Astra 2. :Smile:

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Not freeview that's the digital channels from an ordinary ariel. Freesat is what he is after and that is bounced off Astra 2. :Smile:

and she has given up and is opening the vodka :winky: What's the going rate for a 2nd hand sat dish these days ? !

Doddy999

Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
Sorry my mistake, but if you do sell can I have first offer::bigsmile:

Regards Doddy

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
and the MotoGP, i couldn't care 2 hoots about the remainder of UK telly

A person of taste. Brno not far off.

You need to hang in there.

Actually we don't have sky ( same as you ) so we bought a freeview subscription and watch most of WSB and MotoGP via the computer, but this does need a cheap fast internet connection.

But back to freesat. If you are saying that your friend had it working for you than at least you can be reasonably sure that the electrics work. So come on, all you have to do is point it in the right direction. Look at the other vans, they are a good clue. Now crank that thing like your life depends on it 'till you get a signal.

Is there a "set up" menu that shows signal strength ? There is on our very cheapo sat receiver. Use this instead of the sat finder.

Don't give up, Rossi will want to win this race more than life itself. I don't think he will, Jorge is the man now, though he knows he does not *need* to win now.

I've noticed others saying "choose satellite", but if a dedicated proper FREESAT box my guess is it will automatically be set for Astra. And if your friend had already had it running then it will be set correctly. People often only read the first two words of a message and start typing ( as I sometime do ).

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
A person of taste. Brno not far off.

You need to hang in there.

Actually we don't have sky ( same as you ) so we bought a freeview subscription and watch most of WSB and MotoGP via the computer, but this does need a cheap fast internet connection.

But back to freesat. If you are saying that your friend had it working for you than at least you can be reasonably sure that the electrics work. So come on, all you have to do is point it in the right direction. Look at the other vans, they are a good clue. Now crank that thing like your life depends on it 'till you get a signal.

Is there a "set up" menu that shows signal strength ? There is on our very cheapo sat receiver. Use this instead of the sat finder.

Don't give up, Rossi will want to win this race more than life itself. I don't think he will, Jorge is the man now, though he knows he does not *need* to win now.

I've noticed others saying "choose satellite", but if a dedicated proper FREESAT box my guess is it will automatically be set for Astra. And if your friend had already had it running then it will be set correctly. People often only read the first two words of a message and start typing ( as I sometime do ).

I've managed to watch both on the iplayer but my laptop plays up a lot of the time with constant 'buffering'. Not sure how I'd manage when I'm abroad though. My friend has offered to pop down at the weekend and give me another Idiots guide to Freesat. I think the main thing putting me off is that we are going to be moving every few days so I'll have this performance constantly. He set it up without using a satellite finder so it's possible :Blush:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
dont try and use the compass in the mh it will give you false north , i have to walk about 3 meters from the van to get true north and then pick an object in that direction that i can see out of the van window , then i set the outer ring up.

if the bush box has not been set up and tuned in to the satellite it my be a little harder finding astra 2 , i would ask one of my neighbours in there vans if they would tune it in for you ,
once you have the box tuned ,use the menu button to find info and there is a signal lock and strenth meter which is as good as the sat finder and very little deley, i do not have a maxiview but a camos and a bush freesat receiver

hope this helps a little

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger

once you have a signal use the crank handle to raise or lower the dish and rotate the dish VERY, VERY slowly until you get a good strong signal.

PS....my sympathies with the sciatica......i had it for weeks on end so i know how painful it can be.

I dont know what the problem is with free standing dish i have had one for years and can set up in jig time also peg it down no problem with the wind

Bill:Cool::Cool:

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
dont try and use the compass in the mh it will give you false north , i have to walk about 3 meters from the van to get true north and then pick an object in that direction that i can see out of the van window , then i set the outer ring up.

if the bush box has not been set up and tuned in to the satellite it my be a little harder finding astra 2 , i would ask one of my neighbours in there vans if they would tune it in for you ,
once you have the box tuned ,use the menu button to find info and there is a signal lock and strenth meter which is as good as the sat finder and very little deley, i do not have a maxiview but a camos and a bush freesat receiver

hope this helps a little

Ok I'll give that a try later on. I don't think the box has been set up to Astra 2. Neighbours have skybox so were clueless. I need to get a signal before it will let me past the install screen. You have to enter your postcode and tv size, then it searches for a signal but if it doesn't find one it takes you straight back to the postcode screen. It won't let me bring up a menu etc. Probably my fault for going back to 'factory settings'.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
if neighbour has a skybox just ask them to connect your box up instead of there's and go threw the set up ,it only has to be done the once

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back