Fire. So sad (1 Viewer)

Apr 21, 2014
Hertford
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
9years
just left Stelleplatz at Mayschoß. Only 10 vans there so luckily we were spread out across the snow. At midnight I woke to sirens and looked out to see a van on fire. It burnt out in minutes. The firecrew were so brave getting up close even though things were still exploding. I was told this morning one person dead and another badly ill.

Almost nothing left of the van this morning. In the summer the vans would be packed in and I can only imagine what would have happened. Just makes you think.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:(

Thankfully you are ok... and there wern't too many people involved. Just shows you don't know what round the corner and it needn't be US that puts us in a 'situation. '

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
A very sad event, and frightening for you too.

Glad you're OK, but sorry to hear about the tragedy.

Although we don't know the full circumstances, a reminder of how much care we all need to take when it comes to safety.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Almost nothing left of the van this morning. In the summer the vans would be packed in and I can only imagine what would have happened. Just makes you think.
Yes, it does make you think.......................but not those who mock the UK's 6 x metre rule on licensed campsites, which give folks an additional safety margin and time to get clear of the hazard.

Although we don't know the full circumstances, a reminder of how much care we all need to take when it comes to safety.
Absolutely Mike. (y) It really bugs me when I'll go and park in a remote part of the Aire or Stellplatz, only to later find someone parked so close, that I can hardly get in the door. :mad:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Yes, it does make you think.......................but not those who mock the UK's 6 x metre rule on licensed campsites, which give folks an additional safety margin and time to get clear of the hazard.

Absolutely Mike. (y) It really bugs me when I'll go and park in a remote part of the Aire or Stellplatz, only to later find someone parked so close, that I can hardly get in the door. :mad:

Cheers,

There's Couple of those knockers on here.. I believe :whistle:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
with cold weather the risks of fire in a van change. people carelessly use portable heaters through the night. should something flammable fall on such a heater it can easily start a fire

sad that somebody died and another injured. A reminder to every one of us

D

DL42846

Deleted User
just left Stelleplatz at Mayschoß. Only 10 vans there so luckily we were spread out across the snow. At midnight I woke to sirens and looked out to see a van on fire. It burnt out in minutes. The firecrew were so brave getting up close even though things were still exploding. I was told this morning one person dead and another badly ill.

Would be interesting to know what caused the fire?

So sad to hear this sort of thing. But does make you aware that it can happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Horrible thing to happen and for you to witness.
German news report
The fire of a motorhome in Mayschoss (Ahrweiler district) killed a human being. The camper was on late Friday evening for unknown reasons caught fire, as the police said. When the fire department arrived, the vehicle was already completely on fire. The fire also attacked a car parked next to it. A man who was allegedly also in the camper was injured. The identity of the dead or is still completely unclear, a spokesman for the Criminal Police said on Saturday. The forensics is not yet completed and the investigation was still in its infancy.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Very sad for all involved and I’m with @JockandRita i see exactly why the 6 metre rule is applied .
Thanks for sharing and making us all aware and stay safe.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The latest update is that cause still unknown but the body found was “probably that of a woman”.
As you all have said, it’s a sober reminder of possible terrible consequences if things go wrong.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
So sad. I was given the luxury of a free pass to a festival this summer, luckily the pitches had been sold, so I was put with the workers, so proper spacing etc. On walking through the festival, tents were touching each other, Motorhomes were slightly better spaced but just about, the pull out awning of one was over the top of another van. About 4 ft away form each other, the disabled section wasn’t any better. I felt a disaster waiting to happen. Luckily it didn’t but how they get away with it is beyond me.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
So sad. I was given the luxury of a free pass to a festival this summer, luckily the pitches had been sold, so I was put with the workers, so proper spacing etc. On walking through the festival, tents were touching each other, Motorhomes were slightly better spaced but just about, the pull out awning of one was over the top of another van. About 4 ft away form each other, the disabled section wasn’t any better. I felt a disaster waiting to happen. Luckily it didn’t but how they get away with it is beyond me.
all festivals are like that best you can hope for is 6ix foot of space

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
@Caggsie1. I am pleased that you were able to identify the potential hazards, and observed the unrealistic proximity of living quarters to each other. :(

Despite the Germans being very efficient at most things they do, on arrival at the Camping Platz for the Dusseldorf Messe (Motorhome Show), We were directed to park right up against the rear of the expedition vehicle in front of us, with no room to exit in the event of an emergency. When I robustly objected, it was made clear to me that I could piss off exit at will. :mad:
Once matey the Marshal had peed off, I then reversed far enough back to make a forward exit, should it be necessary.
It was still too close for comfort. :(
Having been to many Caravan and Motorhome fires during my career, I've not seen once saved yet, with most being "well alight" before we've even arrived at the incident. :eek: With all that fibreglass, plastic, thin sheet aluminium, and high density foam insulation, it's no blooming wonder they go up in seconds. :eek:

Stay safe,

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Very sad and though we don't know the cause or any contributing factors I suspect a working smoke alarm and possibly a carbon monoxide detector as well (if a heater malfunctioned) might have prevented it. I'm not victim blaming, just speculating.

River gypsys

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
Ely
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
That's so sad, and makes you think...... my daughter left her hairdryer on the bed on Sunday night and was woken by the smell of smoke, the bed was smouldering where obviously the dryer had shorted out,
You just never know

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
That's so sad, and makes you think...... my daughter left her hairdryer on the bed on Sunday night and was woken by the smell of smoke, the bed was smouldering where obviously the dryer had shorted out,
You just never know
@River gypsys. A close call for your daughter (and others in the same accommodation). :eek:
I am really pleased that nothing more drastic came of it (y) and that the experience has provided a healthy realisation, of how hazardous situations can easily develop.

Best regards,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back