"You have a virus" message popping up. Can anyone help, please ? (1 Viewer)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Friend has a PC, has anti virus running but not sure what. She keeps getting a message pop up saying viruses on computer. When she tries to shut down the message pops up and prevents the shut down.
Years since I used a PC, but it sounds like it could be malware she's accidently downloaded ?
I've suggested installing anti-malware program or possibly resetting her computer to an earlier date, before she had this problem. Are these the best things to try or can anyone suggest simething else ? Thanks.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Need to know what anti virus software she is running?
Then go into it run a virus full scan, quarantine (virus Vault) any viruses found and re-start.
Or download the basic AVG "Free" edition if possible from File Hippo, she may even be offered the fully paid up version free for one month.
The only time I have ever had to back date the computer from a fully backed up , back up date, is when I have issues with windows or lost an application file, so I would suggest trying to discover the malware and virus vault it first.
Hope that helps a bit.
Les

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
A free anti virus programme like AVG, then back it up with Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy. What one doesn't find another usually will.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you don't have an ad blocker, the virus message could actually be an ad rather than a system message. They were common a few years ago and were trying to sell antivirus software

Reactions: JJ
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Rather than being a virus (that self spreads), it's far more likely to be malware that has inserted itself from visiting a compromised website from an out-of-date browser.

If Windows is fully up to date and the anti-virus has the latest signatures, I'd go for an anti-malware program next. I've used Malwarebytes in the past. Just make sure that you are grabbing the software directly from the developer. It's pretty common for dodgy websites to offer downloads of antivirus and malware removal tools that have either been hacked to actually add malware on installation... or just ARE malware that pretends to be useful, but is just to scan your PC.

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
if they hold the button in till pc goes off then turn on again after a while is it still there

No idea, but that's the method I use for most electrical stuff that decides not to work properly :)
I'm going to copy the advice given into an email and hope she can sort it out. Lives up north so I'm not nearby to try any of the suggestions given.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you cannot get rid of it, you could always drown it by putting it in a bucket of water.
That'd stop the bu**er. :(

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As others have said try running various ad cleaners \ antimalware \ etc .....
Malwarebytes Free (you just disable the Free Trial in the settings - https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/
AdwCleaner Free - https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/
Anti-rootkit Free - https://www.malwarebytes.com/antirootkit/
Anti-virus software - (I used to use AVG Free for a number of years but switched to Avast Free when they took over AVG) Broken Link Removed
Spybot - (I use the portable version that doesn't install) https://portableapps.com/apps/security/spybot_portable

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Bin it and buy a Mac.
I have a Mac and every time i switch on i get two voices telling me my Mac needs scanning which then happens,,it then tells me laptop is infected and needs cleaning and then a message comes up twice try to sell me Mac Cleaner which i have to decline to get on line. Its a bloody nuisance,,BUSBY.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I left my Mac hanging in the hall.
Wish I'd taken it with me. AntiVirus or not, it may stop me catching cold...

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I have had this often on my laptop-I press to turn off and it takes quite a while.Today when I turned on a page from Microsoft told me to re-register with password---I turned off -restarted and got straight on---looks like a scam?

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
It is a malware issue, something to do with Win 32 and on mine I cant find it but it only seems to appear when I go off one of the News stories on one of the sites. Adaware seems the best freebie at finding these things.

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Thanks, everyone. Ive passed on all the info and hopefully she'll get rid of it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back