Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Hi all,

Has anyone fitted a Sterling b2b charger on there van....What do you think of the job it does?

I bought a second hand one 50amp of ebay and think it is the reason my battery’s are playing up...I think its been over-charging. when i took out the screw bung that would normally glow green to tell you the battery’s are ok there was a black ring around both of them

Like to know what you think!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I'm sure Jock has one fitted (DIY) and he sings its praises:thumb:
You cant rely on the green eye indicators at all:Doh:give battery a slight shake and it may give a different reading
Geo

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I have fitted several Sterling B2B units to a variety of motorhomes. If you suspect overcharging is occurring then you need to check the output voltage with the engine running at a fast idle (1500 rpm) it should not exceed 14.4 volts but the actual figure will depend on what type of battery you have selected on the B2B unit.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Sterling products

Hi all,

Has anyone fitted a Sterling b2b charger on there van....What do you think of the job it does?

I bought a second hand one 50amp of ebay and think it is the reason my battery’s are playing up...I think its been over-charging. when i took out the screw bung that would normally glow green to tell you the battery’s are ok there was a black ring around both of them

Like to know what you think!

I had Van Bitz fit a Sterling pure wave inverter last year and we discussed the battery to battery item that sterling sold. They recommended I went down the route of the Sterling 1500 watt invertor using the generator to charge the batteries (domestic). The engine of the Ford E350 also puts charge across to the domestic batteries while under way (Sterling is switched off which on the move). I also had fitted a battery master to allow excess battery power to top up my engine battery.

I know I do it the other way round. But I am sure Van Bitz would have tried to sell me the item if it was needed, but they thought it was as not as effective especially on an American RV.

Bob

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
I have fitted several Sterling B2B units to a variety of motorhomes. If you suspect overcharging is occurring then you need to check the output voltage with the engine running at a fast idle (1500 rpm) it should not exceed 14.4 volts but the actual figure will depend on what type of battery you have selected on the B2B unit.

D.

Hi Dave, well I think i will have to book myself in with you!

I STILL NEED MY GOLD CRUSE CONTROL SORTING OUT AND NOW THIS STERLING NEEDS CHECKING AS WELL.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
A bit thick, me, but what does a battery to battery charger do that a set of jump leads doesn't do?

With battery-to-battery, if your leisure battery charging system has electrons to spare, it sends them to your starter battery.
You have a fit starter battery at all times.

But if your leisure battery system is always full, (hook-up or solar panel), why wouldn't you just use a set of £5 jump leads to boost the starter battery on the rare occasions that it was necessary?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The Sterling B2B system charges your leisure battery from the engine alternator. It is not for charging the engine battery from the leisure one. Rather than wiring this leisure battery charging system through a relay to the alternator with the accompanying wiring, fiddling about etc, you simply connect a wire from the Sterling box to the vehicle battery and a wire from the box to the leisure one(s).

It senses when the (priority) vehicle battery is fully charged and then switches the alternator to charging the leisure one(s) which it does in four steps and thus charges them much more quickly and more thoroughly than usual.

But never mind all that... the Sterling B2B charger has loads of different coloured lights which go on and off at various stages of the charging process so IMO is worth it just for this alone, never mind anything else ::bigsmile:

JJ

Gadgets for ever :Cool:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The Sterling B2B charger has loads of different coloured lights which go on and off at various stages of the charging process so IMO is worth it just for this alone, never mind anything else ::bigsmile:

JJ

Gadgets for ever :Cool:

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Geo said:
I'm sure Jock has one fitted (DIY) and he sings its praises
I most certainly do, and still singing about it......................so far, as are others who have had the unit it fitted. :thumb:

Patrick, the batteries have to be in good nick, otherwise, it won't matter what you fit, it won't be able to give you the best results. Choosing the correct battery setting is crucial, and that is done via small slide switches in the B2B unit. Also, the cable recommended for installation should be 30mm squared welding cable.
Here's a link to the PDF manual, in case you haven't got one with the unit.

Link Removed

Before when we went away for a long weekend, especially if the heating fans were running most of the time, the alternator never did manage to recharge the batteries (3 x 100 amps) on the way home. When home and on hook up, sometimes it took 12 hrs plus to bring the batteries back to top charge. Now since fitting the B2B, after a 2 hour drive, they are almost fully charged.
Even at idle, there is a fair old whack going into the batteries. This is ideal if you do a lot of wild camping, and moving on every two or three days, as we do in France and Germany.
Initially, I did disconnect the Schaudt Elektroblok, as there was some conflict with the reading on the analogue ammeter, ie, reading discharge. :whatthe:
Apparently, had it been a digital meter, it would have had to have been disconnected, as that really does cause conflict with the B2B.
As the B2B resets to default in the event of a failure, I reconnected the Elektroblock without any other conflict occurring. The less charge going into the batteries, the less discharge shown on the analogue ammeter. I did consider fitting a NASA BM-1 but I have delayed that decision for the meantime, as it is not essential.
Link Removed

I have kept my eye on the electrolite levels since fitting the B2B, and I have to say that the batteries have not gassed off as much as expected, which is a good thing.

One last tip Patrick, is the battery change over switch on the base of the Elektroblok set correctly for the type of batteries? The factory default is GEL, and ours was on the wrong setting when we bought the MH, hence the replacement FLAs batteries fitted by the previous owner, boiling dry every few weeks. I am now on Elecsol FLAs with the unit switched accordingly. This was sorted long before the B2B was fitted. I am just wondering if you have inadvertently been cooking your current batteries.

HTH.

Cheers,

Jock.

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
charger

:ROFLMAO:ive just fitted an intelegent charger to my m/h works like u would not belivecharges all 4,,, yes 4 lesure batts at the same time equally,, and only cost £ 25.00 ive left the int lights on for 3 days whent back today ,voltage read 11.6,, started the engine,,, it only took 12 miles of steady driving to re charge the full set and i run 4 x 120 amp/hr batts:thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
:ROFLMAO:ive just fitted an intelegent charger to my m/h works like u would not belivecharges all 4,,, yes 4 lesure batts at the same time equally,, and only cost £ 25.00 ive left the int lights on for 3 days whent back today ,voltage read 11.6,, started the engine,,, it only took 12 miles of steady driving to re charge the full set and i run 4 x 120 amp/hr batts:thumb:
Hi Niggle,:welcomefunster::

That sounds interesting. Cool:

What is the make, and where did you get it from? Any chance of a link please?

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Initially, I did disconnect the Schaudt Elektroblok, as there was some conflict with the reading on the analogue ammeter, ie, reading discharge. :whatthe:
Apparently, had it been a digital meter, it would have had to have been disconnected, as that really does cause conflict with the B2B.
As the B2B resets to default in the event of a failure, I reconnected the Elektroblock without any other conflict occurring. The less charge going into the batteries, the less discharge shown on the analogue ammeter.

One last tip Patrick, is the battery change over switch on the base of the Elektroblok set correctly for the type of batteries? The factory default is GEL, and ours was on the wrong setting when we bought the MH, hence the replacement FLAs batteries fitted by the previous owner, boiling dry every few weeks. I am now on Elecsol FLAs with the unit switched accordingly. This was sorted long before the B2B was fitted. I am just wondering if you have inadvertently been cooking your current batteries.

HTH.

Cheers,

Jock.[/QUOTE]

Hi Jock,

Thank's for all your info, it has made me think...Ouch! :Blush:

The needle on my control unit sits fine when i first start the van,its on the Green side but then when i the revs are added it goes mad and shows 20 Amps but in the Red not the green. I have taken the fuse out of the Schaudt Elektroblok so only the B2B is charging. I might need a differant contole unit, or it might be that the B2B is faulty. I also have Elecsol carbon battery's 2 X 220 amps fitted, this was the reason i went for the Sterling B2B as the normal charger is only rated as 16 Amp and would take to long to charg after wild camping.

Hope Reta is ok mate!:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I did consider fitting a NASA

I most certainly do, and still singing about it......................so far, as are others who have had the unit it fitted. :thumb:

Patrick, the batteries have to be in good nick, otherwise, it won't matter what you fit, it won't be able to give you the best results. Choosing the correct battery setting is crucial, and that is done via small slide switches in the B2B unit. Also, the cable recommended for installation should be 30mm squared welding cable.
Here's a link to the PDF manual, in case you haven't got one with the unit.

Link Removed

Before when we went away for a long weekend, especially if the heating fans were running most of the time, the alternator never did manage to recharge the batteries (3 x 100 amps) on the way home. When home and on hook up, sometimes it took 12 hrs plus to bring the batteries back to top charge. Now since fitting the B2B, after a 2 hour drive, they are almost fully charged.
Even at idle, there is a fair old whack going into the batteries. This is ideal if you do a lot of wild camping, and moving on every two or three days, as we do in France and Germany.
As the B2B resets to default in the event of a failure, I reconnected the Elektroblock without any other conflict occurring. The less charge going into the batteries, the less discharge shown on the analogue ammeter. I did consider fitting a NASA BM-1 but I have delayed that decision for the meantime, as it is not essential.
Link Removed

I have kept my eye on the electrolite levels since fitting the B2B, and I have to say that the batteries have not gassed off as much as expected, which is a good thing.

HTH.

Cheers,

Jock.

I have the NASA as part of my set up with the sterling inverter (pure sin wave) - the sterling invertor by the way also has lots of space age lights to watch. Tells you whjat it is or is not doing. But the NASA is a great item. It tells you what volts and amps are going in if it is a discharge or charge. It tells you how long it will take in hours to charge to maximum and also percentages etc., it is a large display pad that can display various different screens at a push of a button with a back light if you want it on. Working with the Inverter I can control my use of battery power and if connected to mains via the inverter I can see the chage rates as well also if the genny is on line it will do the same.

My American Motorhome automatically switches unused motor battery power to the domestic side and I can see that also on the NASA. After about 10 minutes after the engine has chaged the start up battery to full it then passes any excess charge to the domestic batteries. I also have a Battery master fitted that allows the domestic battery to top off the engine battery if it drops will parked or stored.

I recommend the NASA 100%

Bob

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
I will check the battery settings on both the elcblock and the sterling today!

we are away this weekend and it should give me a better idea of the batteries condition after using all weekend as we will be wilding it.

Will let you know!!!!!!!!

Thanks all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back