condensation on the inside of the screen (1 Viewer)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Do you suffer with condensation on the inside of the screen when you wake up after having the heating on, I used to suffer with it but started to run a small dehumidifier through the night and this cured it. My new MH is supplied with an outside quilted type screen cover but not sure I want to go to the trouble if fitting this but think I have read this stops condensation ???

My current motor home is the normal size screen so not too bad to clean off but new MH is A class so looks a bit more of a chore to clean

What do you do to stop condensation

Thanks

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I don't give the dog any water all night then he licks the screen clean every morning. only a problem when its really cold as his tongue gets stuck to the glass:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
We had same problem even with the internal Rapido blinds.
Got a n external silver screen job done no condsensation.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Outside insulated screen cover every time (y)(y)
Surprised you never had any on previous / current van.. One of the best investments.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Absolutely the best deterrent for condensation. I do find that if it has been very cold outside and warm inside, I still get a few moments of misted windows after I remove the external screen covers but nothing like the pools I used to get with internal screen covers.
I do not like the look of external covers and when raining, they are not a joy to fold away but to date I have not found anything better and well worth the extra cost.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Well, we bought externals straight away ... only had one weekend away (just back) ... was freezing outside but cosy inside as heating on .... and no condensation

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
We use the bags filled with carbon, we have the Mercedes Hymer B680, so quite a wide front window (3 wipers), we have 3 bags laid across the front of the dashboard, never had a condensation problem

Aug 6, 2018
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer BSL 704
Exp
Since 2004
We use the bags filled with carbon, we have the Mercedes Hymer B680, so quite a wide front window (3 wipers), we have 3 bags laid across the front of the dashboard, never had a condensation problem

Sorry, but what are the bags you have mentioned. Sounds interesting?

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
I brought 5 in total, 3 for the Hymer and 2 for our Alphard, I seem to remember I got them from one of those A5 shopping books that comes through the door, basically they are black cloth bags about 10 inches long by about 4 inches wide and about 1.5 inches deep filled with active carbon, after buying them I was told that you can make them with an old sock and some cat litter. I think the book/company is called healthy living, hope this helps

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I brought 5 in total, 3 for the Hymer and 2 for our Alphard, I seem to remember I got them from one of those A5 shopping books that comes through the door, basically they are black cloth bags about 10 inches long by about 4 inches wide and about 1.5 inches deep filled with active carbon, after buying them I was told that you can make them with an old sock and some cat litter. I think the book/company is called healthy living, hope this helps

Do those really work on an A class in winter with the heating on?
brilliant idea if they do.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Do those really work on an A class in winter with the heating on?
brilliant idea if they do.

They deffo work in our A class what you need to do every so often is place them on a house radiator just to dry them out

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
We have an A Class but I hate external covers, when I open the blinds I want to let the light in. Yes we get condensation on our windscreen but it is a very quick job to clear it up with a Karcher Window Vac. Quicker than going outside to remove the covers.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Do you suffer with condensation on the inside of the screen when you wake up after having the heating on, I used to suffer with it but started to run a small dehumidifier through the night and this cured it. My new MH is supplied with an outside quilted type screen cover but not sure I want to go to the trouble if fitting this but think I have read this stops condensation ???

Not just condensation, we had ice on the inside of the windscreen! I suppose it shows the internal screen is insulating well, but I will definitely be looking for external screens to keep the ice outside of the van.

Last edited:

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
We got one for the car, car acceries shop.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Another vote for a Karcher window vac. Condensation gone in 30 seconds.

Having said that we get a lot less condensation in our Hymer A class than the previous Adria C class. That is because we have a couple of Alde heating elements in the front of the dashboard to earm up the screen.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have external screens as well as a Karcher window vac, we use the screens if it's going to be a cold night as we know we'll get a lot of condensation, with 2 adults and 3 dogs in our camper (I think their snoring and farting during the night doesn't help!). However sometimes it's better not to put them on (eg it's hissing it down or we're in one of the more strict parking areas that doesn't allow 'camping') and/or we don't want the hassle of putting them away soaking wet, so we'll use the Karcher instead.

If we do have to put the screens away wet we've found it useful to go to a supermarket/shop and get a large flatish cardboard box (the type that you get fruit etc in) and line it with a black bin bag, then when we remove the screens we can fold them and lay them in the box to dry during the day, much easier than trying to wrestle a large wet 'jellyfish' into a bag!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I was told that you can make them with an old sock and some cat litter. I think the book/company is called healthy living, hope this helps
Great idea! I was aware that cat litter is good for absorbing moisture in caravans, MHs etc, but putting it in an old sock, rather than in tubs with holes in the top, is a much better idea. Might have to give it a go ... I'll just have to nick some of hubby's socks when he's not looking! :D2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back