security fence at Newbury will it be at Malvern? (1 Viewer)

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Last year at Malvern we could wonder all about from the Thursday and even did a bit of buying in the late afternoon and evening. The traders welcomed it.

At Newbury (another Warners venue) they had put up a security fence and would not allow anyone in to the selling area until Friday 9 a.m. they also managed to keep a lot of traders in as they had there living vans attached to the back of there stalls.

So will this practice happen at Malvern this time round? hope not. Also we noticed at Newbury that they closed the day car park one hour after the end of the show time i.e 6 p.m. that meant day visitors could not visit friends who had motorhomes at the show.

Anyone got any idea what they are up to at Warners?

Bob
p.s. why is it that they do not expect a large vehicle like an American RV in the Disabled parking areas? are we not allowed to own them (according to them?) Ripe for a DDA (1995) claim if they take that discrimination view.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
plus the disabled wheelchair trailer behind

24', large, wait 'till you see Smudgers little camper than:Eeek:

With the trailer hauling the electric buggies and my wheelchair we come in over 30' long. Despite a sign on the window saying - towing - we always have the same problem a small space to fit in.. we have a slide out and an awning. When you book you tell them the make etc., and they never take any notice. I do not want to be with the other American RV's I select the Disabled area to enable me to get about easier, although I have decided to go in the funster area at Bath & West. (you cannot just unhook a trailer with an American East Coast set up i.e wheels at the back of the trailer when it is fully loaded with two electric scooters and a normal wheelchair even with a heavy duty jockey wheel - so you have to be ab le to get on the pitch in a straight line before you drop the ramps - makes 33' long).

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
The Prestwold show was run along the same lines as Newbury, with armed guards on the perimeter until the "Official" opening time on Friday. :Smile:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I know the traders were not happy about it

The Prestwold show was run along the same lines as Newbury, with armed guards on the perimeter until the "Official" opening time on Friday. :Smile:

Shame that they have had to make it so formal. It was good walking the dog in the evening and having a chat with the traders that were set up and wanting to do business. As you say armed guards at Newbury... clear off to the morning attitude. Who are Warners pandering to? has a trader or several traders moaned that the public stop them setting up? or have items been stolen?

I know it was a good time to look around the outside of vans for sale as few people were about in the early evening. (dark by 9.30). Oh well it will be the beer tent or the Cobb and sit around talking.

It is a pity they do not think about what they do and the way it effects the show and the feeling of laid back and not by the numbers.

Bob

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
so was the northern show

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
so was the northern show

I'm sure the wardens were synchronising their watches Saturday morning at Knutsford via walkie talkie to make sure nobody crossed into the traders area before the exact time. I got there about a minute early and had to wait....and I was the only one at that particular gate, so it wasn't like they needed crowd control ::bigsmile:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
It's ok son. They didn't live to see another day.

I was followed by one of the mafia when I wandered unknowlingly into the showground at Knutsford and didn't realise he was shouting at me to come back..... I expected a horse's head in my bed when I got back after the telling off he gave me.:Sad:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
When I tried to get into the show on the Friday morning, I was asked to show my wristband and of course I hadn't got it on.

Went all the way back to the van for it, only to find the bouncers had gone by the time I got back to the gate. :Angry:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
At Peterborough we walked out to the pub at the entrance where the roundabout is and forgot our wrist bands, tried to come back in later, noway, got stopped at the roundabout, I had to walk to the van get the bands and walk back while the wife sat at the entrance twiddling her thumbs.

Olley

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
With the trailer hauling the electric buggies and my wheelchair we come in over 30' long. Despite a sign on the window saying - towing - we always have the same problem a small space to fit in.. we have a slide out and an awning. When you book you tell them the make etc., and they never take any notice. I do not want to be with the other American RV's I select the Disabled area to enable me to get about easier, although I have decided to go in the funster area at Bath & West. (you cannot just unhook a trailer with an American East Coast set up i.e wheels at the back of the trailer when it is fully loaded with two electric scooters and a normal wheelchair even with a heavy duty jockey wheel - so you have to be ab le to get on the pitch in a straight line before you drop the ramps - makes 33' long).

Bob

Do not want to be sizeist but Smudger's little camper + trailer comes in at 60 feet...

(but that's America for you :RollEyes:)

JJ

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Shame that they have had to make it so formal. It was good walking the dog in the evening and having a chat with the traders that were set up and wanting to do business. As you say armed guards at Newbury... clear off to the morning attitude. Who are Warners pandering to? has a trader or several traders moaned that the public stop them setting up? or have items been stolen?

Bob

Hi Bob, most likely this will be down to insurance. When the traders are setting up, stands are half, built there is lots of vehicle movement and trip hazards everywhere. This day and age, if someone was hurt, there is a good chance they will sue and an even better chance their insurers would say they weren't paying because the show was a building site and the public shouldn't have been there. So to cover their arse, they give security strict instructions etc. Can't really blame them for that. Its for the same reason that Fun meets are not wagons in a circle, park where you like anymore. Everyone has to watch their back these days and while a few hundred lawyers are richer for this compensation culture, the whole country is poorer.

I find the security at Warners shows OK, but they are just too inflexible and are not customer facing. You get the feeling its a its an us and them. The security boss does not trust the staff to make a judgment. Rules is Rules and they have to follow them. :RollEyes:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
At Prestwold I had a bit of a confrontation with one of the gastapo ..
All the family had wandered in to the shop..
I had stopped to chat to someone and then followed them in.. Except I did not follow them in cos unbeknown to me the shop had its own wee entrance up the road a few yards

I could see the clan but Herr DIMler would not allow access.. ( quite right as I was trying to get in the wrong gate )

Soooooo I am saying 'look.. There are my family members.. They have just gone in' ( Me pointing at the shop )

Instead of matey telling me about the other ( correct ) gate his reply ?

'Aint my f'ing problem mate'

As luck would have it there was a witness to this exchange.. Now I am not normally one to grass, preferring to sort things out my self, but that would probably have got me thrown off the site ::bigsmile:

Went to the gang boss ( a nice young lady ) who listened to the story, listened to what the woman who over heard it all had to say and assured us both action would be taken

I went to the shop and on the way back witnessed said action..

She forced the little oik to eat a ( possible bacon ) roll and drink a cup of something she took to him..

As long as nasty little £minimum wage oiks who cannot get a real job are employed by these organisations and given NO training, things will never improve

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
size is everything

Do not want to be sizeist but Smudger's little camper + trailer comes in at 60 feet...

(but that's America for you :RollEyes:)

JJ

The point I was making JJ is that the people in the yellow vests seem to become power crazy or take the brain out when they put them on (not all of them I will give you that). It is the same as the tales of the wrist bands and gate at the shows with the 'butlin' type fences. situation.. OK Butlins was to keep the holiday people in .. the fences that Warners are using is to keep us out...anyway I digress JJ, I was answering your point about size... That is the point most American RV's are bigger than uk or european motor homes. We ( Our american RV's) are just an overgrown European - still have a slide out and a large A & E awning but we tow a trailer for the reasons given. It seems in the disabled areas the 'yellow' jacket prison warders / security / just doing a job for a free weekend all have the mentaility of not understanding that some 'disabled people:Angry:' have larger rigs. But they have to try and fit us in a tiny space along side a tree or not taking in to account that the door is on the otherside so the awning must be also. They never know if to approach the UK drivers side (the boss) or me on the near side being a left hand drive.. so I give up on them understanding that A) I have the trailer - cannot read the big yellow sign in the window B) that it has the words on the front WINNIBAGO - everyone knows that a Winnebago is a yank now days... and that the steering wheel is on the wrong side (there words not mine).

I do not want to be over shaddowed by a bigger RV 40' long with a trailer I do not want to rub shoulders with 'mine is bigger than yours' which is the case if you park with the American RV's .. I want to be able to use the Disabled area or the funsters area if I have booked with them. BUT and it is a big BUT I ...Just want to jump up and down on a few yellow jackets that drive me nuts... simple:Eeek: or run them over with a wheelchair if I could or better still the RV (I know not legal)

Bob

Bob

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Rich lawyer ..who me?

Hi Bob, most likely this will be down to insurance. When the traders are setting up, stands are half, built there is lots of vehicle movement and trip hazards everywhere. This day and age, if someone was hurt, there is a good chance they will sue and an even better chance their insurers would say they weren't paying because the show was a building site and the public shouldn't have been there. So to cover their arse, they give security strict instructions etc. Can't really blame them for that. Its for the same reason that Fun meets are not wagons in a circle, park where you like anymore. Everyone has to watch their back these days and while a few hundred lawyers are richer for this compensation culture, the whole country is poorer.

I find the security at Warners shows OK, but they are just too inflexible and are not customer facing. You get the feeling its a its an us and them. The security boss does not trust the staff to make a judgment. Rules is Rules and they have to follow them. :RollEyes:

Jim I take your point. But please note I am not a rich lawyer.. I worked in the criminal defence area on legal aid rates and boy that is poor. If I was rich I would have a 40' RV not a 23'9" .... But I do think Warners have gone over the top a bit with this.

I will still spend the same money I expect, but could have done it at a more lazy pace without the electric scooter and the Saint Bernard dog getting in everyones way.

Bob:Eeek:
Bob

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Don't think there is a real answer to the lack of understanding you run into unfortunatly, but one way or another we all see it in whatever walk of life, just read some of ShiftZZs, errr, musings:ROFLMAO:

One thing though, as yet there has never been a lack of space in the Funsters area for whatever size your rig, side you doors on etc and no restrictions to get where you want to be and above all no airs and graces as to what you turn up in, well except occational jest:ROFLMAO:

We even let JJ in so there you go:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry JJ, didn't mean it really:thumb:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
that is why I am booked in at Bath & West

Don't think there is a real answer to the lack of understanding you run into unfortunatly, but one way or another we all see it in whatever walk of life, just read some of ShiftZZs, errr, musings:ROFLMAO:

One thing though, as yet there has never been a lack of space in the Funsters area for whatever size your rig, side you doors on etc and no restrictions to get where you want to be and above all no airs and graces as to what you turn up in, well except occational jest:ROFLMAO:

We even let JJ in so there you go:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry JJ, didn't mean it really:thumb:

That is why I have booked in for the Bath & West... had already booked Malvern and I have my daughter with her tent so it is going to be Bath & West when I put some names to faces and moto homes. I will put in an appearance at Malvern just to say Hi. So if you see Ezzie the Saint Bernard, me on the red scooter and the Boss bring up the rear on her little blue one then please speak to us.. even if it is in jest, we are not stuck up, jsut want less of the over bearing rules. Life is to enjoy our motor homes.

see you all soon I hope

Bob

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Cripes Bob! Only a weak attempt at humour with my "sizeist" comment...:Blush:

...and as for you Dodgey!!!! I saw it as the other way round and thought it was us who allowed you on...:ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Mine will be the smallest one in the MHF area at Malvern and Shepton but it is the only one that is black.. :Blush:

JJ

errr 1 man and his dob(lo) might argue that fact out about being the smallest one and he will be at malvern (i believe he is going to do line dancing there along with c'tain pugwash) :Eeek:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
errr 1 man and his dob(lo) might argue that fact out about being the smallest one and he will be at malvern (i believe he is going to do line dancing there along with c'tain pugwash) :Eeek:

...oh yes he is :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mine's the only one with pink flowers on the back and has the dirtiest roof :ROFLMAO:

Apr 30, 2008
aldridge
Funster No
MH
waiting
Exp
8yrs
I've always parked in the Disabled area since 2004 & have never had any trouble with the size of my unit,the last 2yrs I have owned a 28ft 4" kontiki plus a trailer 16ft 8" long,total length 45ft.
On a couple of occasions I have told the Steward that I wouldn't be unhitching the Trailer & the steward has said thats O.K he'll work round it.

If I recall The fencing round the exhibition area only happens at certain venues.There was always a fence around the sales area when the northern show used to be held at York racecourse & as well at Newbury.If you think the shows which don't have a fence round are the one's where you need to go through them for access to the evening entertainment

I've also only known the the exhibition open on thursday on 2 occasions & that was last year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back