LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, had two 80w panels fitted last year by Mark (C.L.S.) and very pleased we are too.

Now the problem, a few times I have looked at the regulator it has shown an "E6" fault which according to the manual means "no panels fitted". :Eeek:

We are doing OK with them so far, at the moment 3 weeks away with virtually no sunshine although getting close to the bone now.

What worries me is, how often is the fault shown when I am not looking? Also are they charging when the fault shows?

Any ideas folks? :Smile:

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
I'm sure I've heard of this fault before...but not sure where.

IIRC the solution was that the regulator was faulty and needed replacing.

Bryan

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks Bryan, that is what is worrying us. Steph has PM'd Mark but no response as yet hence me asking the question here. :cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Now the problem, a few times I have looked at the regulator it has shown an "E6" fault which according to the manual means "no panels fitted". :Eeek:

Any ideas folks? :Smile:

Well you know that they were fitted, therefore they have been stolen.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Ken
have you a multi meter with you??
would suggest you measure voltage before and after the regulater when no code is showing, and again when code is present.
that will indicate if faulty reg is interfering with charging:thumb:
as a Bodge work around if you get desperate and pannels prove to be OK you could bypass reg for short intervals to top you up. :Blush:
or simply obtain a new one locally,wireing them in is a very simple task as its like for like conection wise
Geo

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Ken
have you a multi meter with you??
would suggest you measure voltage before and after the regulater when no code is showing, and again when code is present.
that will indicate if faulty reg is interfering with charging:thumb:
as a Bodge work around if you get desperate and pannels prove to be OK you could bypass reg for short intervals to top you up. :Blush:
or simply obtain a new one locally,wireing them in is a very simple task as its like for like conection wise
Geo

Thanks Geo, son and heir (ha ha) who is is a leccie left me two cracking multimeters when he went to Aussie. Pity I am too thick to use them, or too idle to learn. There's a thought how about an "Idiots guide to multimeters meet"?

Only had them fitted a year ago so will wait and see if Mark responds. Did mention it a while ago to him but forgot to get him to check it out at the Bring n Buy. Thanks for the tips though.

P.S. don't have them with me. Dohhh :Blush::ROFLMAO:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
laneside

Hi

Do you require a Kipor for the next few days, just shout if you do.

Alan

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi

Do you require a Kipor for the next few days, just shout if you do.

Alan

Thanks Alan, but I think we will be OK. If I get stuck I may shout. Fault has shown before and tends to disappear after about 30 mins. Worst case I will buy a new regulator when I get home. But being a "canny" Scot I am hoping Mark will come to the rescue. :thumb:

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Now I am really getting worried. Looking at regulators to get an idea of prices I came across mine as shown below:-

STECA

PDF
PR1010 120W or 10A

This is shown as a MAXIMUM of 120w 10amp for the 12v system.
I have two 80w panels so 160w. Does this matter or am I missing something? :Eeek:

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Hi Ken,

IIRC an 80 watt panel max output is approx. 4.5 amps.

So times 2 is 9 amps so a 10 amp reg SHOULD appear fine...

BUT

I read somewhere that you should allow 25% extra in your choice of regulator.

So that would be 11.25 amps - I'd go for a bigger regulator. :thumb:

HTH

Bryan

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Now I am really getting worried. Looking at regulators to get an idea of prices I came across mine as shown below:-

STECA

PDF
PR1010 120W or 10A

This is shown as a MAXIMUM of 120w 10amp for the 12v system.
I have two 80w panels so 160w. Does this matter or am I missing something? :Eeek:
Not missing a thing you are correct it should have been a 20amp controller, the 10amp leaves no safety factor. It is a good quality regulator. Mark must have picked up the wrong one by mistake. But worry not I'm sure he will soon be in touch to fit the correct one. Problem solved.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi Ken, I don't think Mark will be in touch any time soon. I am sure he left for holiday today, gone Spain and France for a few weeks maybe 4.
Sure he will sort it on return.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I don't want to confuse things here Ken and I would like to state from the off that I am not an expert but I have been using a solar system for some time now and I often get error signs on my Steca regulator.

It has always been as a result of taking more out of the batteries than has been going in eventually leading to a voltage drop in the system. Mind you mine has never told me my panels have disappeared.

Once the sun shines again everything normally goes back to usual on my gauge but sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting the battery connection seems to "reset" the gauge.

I have three 80(ish) watt solar panels with a Steca 15amp regulator and in the uk at midday in good sun have managed once to get a reading of 12.4 amps. The readouts are not very accurate.

I am about to replace my Steca 15 amp regulator with a 20 amp one as an expert super salesman sold me another panel for a song at Wrenbury and therefore would happily let you have my 15 amper...when the new one arrives. (You would have to become a Man City fan though.)

Are you at Malvern?

My guess (and it is only that) is that you are fine with your two panels and a 10 amp regulator (unless touring the Equator region) and I suspect you might have used too much leccy...

JJ :Cool:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Mark is on holiday until the end of the month. I put a request for contact on his website (for a job I want doing before early September) and he responded by e-mail. Try putting a note on his website contact page. He has responded to me a couple of times, but it may take a day or two.

Philip

http://www.central-leisure-services.co.uk/

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, thanks for all the advice and offers. We have decided to visit Maplins when we get home and buy a bigger regulator.We are undecided whether to get one big enough to take a 3rd panel if we decide to put another one on. In saying that, this is our 3rd week away with cloudy/rainy weather and we are OK. Haven't really had to cut down on our usage so hmmmm. Anyhoo that is what we shall do, management has spoken :Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back