nationwide to start charges for credit cards abroad (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
With the announcement that Nationwide is to start charging a loading charge on credit cards abroad, apart from Santander does any one know of another bank that does not put this charge on card use?

Doug...

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have an account wth both and use their debit cards.

was unaware santander waved any loading though

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
when did you here this Doug? I know you pay outside of EU but is this something new? does it apply to debit cards?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
when did you here this Doug? I know you pay outside of EU but is this something new? does it apply to debit cards?

I heard it on the BBC this morning, no detail other than the Nationwide has announced that it is to introduce a 2% charge and credit cards abroad. I have phoned Nationwide and the help desk say they know nothing about it!!!! other than the already established charges on non Euro countries leaving the Euro counties free, with no charge.
Doug...

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
sounds like a bit of lazy journalism to me. Just a re-hash of there old statement about charging outside of the Eu.

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Unfortunately its True

I also heard and read about the change in approach Nationwide intend to remove "free" banking ie no charges from November 1st . I have read a number of articles from many sources and it seems to be true, they are offering free travel insurance instead. I started to look for a like for like replacement and Santander seems the only possible debit card replacement route at the moment. This seems to be a shame as have used Nationwide card for upwards of 5 years and feel sure they will lose a large number of customers Al.

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Sorry Me Again

The charging is on the popular Flex-Account Debit Card :cry:Al.

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Missed it out

Missed that bit out , Yes unfortunately EU as well . They have imho. taken a foolish step. AL.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I also heard and read about the change in approach Nationwide intend to remove "free" banking ie no charges from November 1st . I have read a number of articles from many sources and it seems to be true, they are offering free travel insurance instead. I started to look for a like for like replacement and Santander seems the only possible debit card replacement route at the moment. This seems to be a shame as have used Nationwide card for upwards of 5 years and feel sure they will lose a large number of customers Al.

Seen this coming for some time so I'm off to The Cumbrian B. S. :thumb: They don't charge for withdrawing from foreign cash machines or using your card anywhere in the world.

Sorry guys, you have to live up here to have one. There are some advantages of living 'up north'. ::bigsmile:

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
With the announcement that Nationwide is to start charging a loading charge on credit cards abroad, apart from Santander does any one know of another bank that does not put this charge on card use?

Doug...
Hi Doug you have me thinking now .... credit or debit card? the info. that i have looked at is for the FlexAccount debit card . Have been digging into Santander's current account details and a couple of the accounts look reasonable. Does anyone have knowledge of the Zero Account , and finally Keith you are lucky to still have any "regional" BS. almost all i know have been taken over by the aformentioned Nationwide Al.:cry:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Doug you have me thinking now .... credit or debit card? the info. that i have looked at is for the FlexAccount debit card . Have been digging into Santander's current account details and a couple of the accounts look reasonable. Does anyone have knowledge of the Zero Account , and finally Keith you are lucky to still have any "regional" BS. almost all i know have been taken over by the aformentioned Nationwide Al.:cry:

not sure but i think the zero account has some ties and restrictions.

i recently took out a second santander regular current account which is fee free and if you credit £1000 per month it pays 5% interest.

simply transfer £1k from another account then transfer it back again. (on the advise of the lady who dealt with my app :thumb:)

it only need to go in during the month....not stay in for the month.

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
not sure but i think the zero account has some ties and restrictions.

i recently took out a second santander regular current account which is fee free and if you credit £1000 per month it pays 5% interest.

simply transfer £1k from another account then transfer it back again. (on the advise of the lady who dealt with my app :thumb:)

it only need to go in during the month....not stay in for the month.
Did you have to go in-branch or was it possible to do on-line? seems a good deal whatever !! Ta Al.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Hi, Thanks for all your info guys and a worthwhile topic from Doug. I have sadly see the article in the daily mail,,, TBH I have had enough of nationwide this week when they refused to allow me to take out 5k in cash as they wanted 48 hours notice. They were so unhelpful and really inpolite.

It appears this charge is for DEBIT cards, thats what the article says anyhow.

Time to get a French bank account, I wonder how I do that? or a Spanish one for all you winter sunners.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Did you have to go in-branch or was it possible to do on-line? seems a good deal whatever !! Ta Al.

i went in-branch to a 'private' desk and it took around 15 mins plus queuing to make an initial deposit at the tills.

i wouldnt do something like this online as you cant ask questions if you want a sensible answer.
an on-line app wouldnt tell you to deposit then withdraw to get the higher % :winky:::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have had enough of nationwide this week when they refused to allow me to take out 5k in cash as they wanted 48 hours notice. .

just last week i needed £2600 in cash and they (santander) said if they had it spare i could have it, otherwise i would need to order the cash.

IF THEY HAD IT SPARE !!!!!. i though it was a bank :Eeek:

i ordered it anyway as i didnt need it for a few days.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
just last week i needed £2600 in cash and they (santander) said if they had it spare i could have it, otherwise i would need to order the cash.

when you get it can you lend me a fiver?:winky:

gj1023

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
1 week lol
TBH I have had enough of nationwide this week when they refused to allow me to take out 5k in cash as they wanted 48 hours notice. They were so unhelpful and really inpolite.

I had the same problem , when i bought my van. The reason Nationwide gave, was, they are not a bank, but a building society. Therefore do not like a bank, hold a lot of cash, which is the reason for 48 hour notice.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp

I know, sorry to go OP Doug, but whilst we are slating them might as well do it properly.

They said no no no , i said but I have the money, you are a bank and that i should be allowed it. The girl then laughed at me and told me and I swear these were her exact words, " yeah right, you dont even have 5k even if I agreed to let you go and get it" I said no your right, I do not, but my wife does in one of our ISA things and is about to transfer it, and madam, I have too in other ivestments so give me my money..... Sorry sir cant do that. I then sulked and thought I was never going to get paula panda when as if by magic, Nikki went in the bank took 2.5 k out on the friday and the same on te sat morning. See, they were just lying, If I slept on a mattress instead of a bed of nails, I would keep my money under it.:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
years ago when i was motor trading banks held minimal cash, i have demanded money and it has been ordered and delievered by secure van:RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back