Bought a trailer for £100 wife not impressed (1 Viewer)

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Talking to a mate about needing a new shed or repair on mine said he had something that would do the job his brothers old one that needed moving - so have a look at trailer galvanised braked commercial box trailer big so decide to buy it - so towed it home and it is actually a market trader trailer or the same as a catering trailer - so now have a decent storage container cheaper than i can buy a crappy cheap shed (y)(y)

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
haha
bet that looks good at the bottom of the garden (not):LOL::LOL:... my wife would kill me

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
haha
bet that looks good at the bottom of the garden (not):LOL::LOL:... my wife would kill me
In front of garage but will put to side but same height as my guttering barely see it from the road either

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
We need a photo to help us decide who gets the funster support on this matter.
A scruffy trailer in view of the road may blight the neighbourhood.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Here you go internal came with what is in there even got hook-up
DSCN1521.JPG

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
if all you're going to use it for is as storage/shed, brilliant, why not cover it in trellis and grow something like climbing roses, honeysuckle or clematis just to pretty it up and please your good lady, am trying to sort out a shed for myself and that would be an ideal solution except i wouldn't get it through my garden gate, sadly...

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
if all you're going to use it for is as storage/shed, brilliant, why not cover it in trellis and grow something like climbing roses, honeysuckle or clematis just to pretty it up and please your good lady, am trying to sort out a shed for myself and that would be an ideal solution except i wouldn't get it through my garden gate, sadly...
I was just going to suggest that, honest!

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
I was just going to suggest that, honest!

(y)

i'd be well chuffed with that for just £100, sheds are damned expensive these days for one that isn't a piece of crap..

edit..in fact, back in the summer my daughter and her chap erected one in mine that i bought from one of those diy supermarket stores, not until it was up and the evening light was fading could you see how many holes were in it, looked like woodworm had partied in it, it got took down the next day and my 'pennies' refunded

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
(y)

i'd be well chuffed with that for just £100, sheds are damned expensive these days for one that isn't a piece of crap..
I have one of those plastic ones..been through 2 house moves with it (I have a mean gene) ...now used as dog kennel..so easy to hose it out..and no maintenance..

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
That is what i was thinking couple of movable concrete bases and trellis couple of pots and clematis or similar

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Kayak as well, impressed
Not kayak it is a couple of windsurfer boards - stainless counter that they are sitting on and aluminium sheet on floor not sure on scrap value

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I know someone who brought an old transit van that failed it’s mot for the same reason , it was cheaper then buying a shed.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Kayak as well, impressed

Not kayak it is a couple of windsurfer boards - stainless counter that they are sitting on and aluminium sheet on floor not sure on scrap value

If in good condition and you don't want them you'll more than get your money back :)

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Finally got round to trying to sort trailer chassis which i could see was galvanised when i bought it so that is good so choices overboard floor or remove - cost wise similar to overboarding - brakes dont work - corner steadies seized - decision made remove floor and replace - floor that was down 9mm ply fibreglassed over with 3mm aluminium checquer plate on top - so chequer plate removed to re-use on new floor - bought 2 8x4 18mm plywood sheets which may or may not be enough pics now.
Floor removed decent chassis visible DSCN1731.JPG

Corner steadies that are seized and can now access easier to remove and get working if poss all 4 look the sameDSCN1730.JPG

Brake cables need replacing i can now access easily and just cut corroded nut off making for easy replacement whenever
DSCN1732.JPG

Finally my 2 8x4 ply sheets in trailer at £45 a sheet almost lost in there
DSCN1733.JPG

Recouped a little back selling bits left in trailer so at moment owes me about £175 - not sure exactly how much brake system bits will cost or replacement corner steadies if i do them £200 probably - but still cheaper and more usable than a shed.

I'll put more photos when i put floor down.

When i looked under floor of trailer it looked reasonable although i had suspicions that floor was weak but for the money i paid i'm still happy with purchase - certainly made me realise that visually checking a floor is not good enough you need a screwdriver especially when it comes to checking a motorhome floor

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Ok corner steadies beyond repair removed carefully eventually with grinder leaving chassis fixings in place so couple more photos ply sheet is 6ft 6 in wide by 4 ft painted silver with some solar reflective paint appears to have some tar base in paint anyway it was free - juggled a bit with board and decided a bit more room was beneficial so opened side going to fix first board with tube adhesive and screw through metal
lDSCN1734.JPG DSCN1735.JPG DSCN1736.JPG DSCN1737.JPG

Paint is dry on pic 2 and wet on pics 3 and 4 need 3rd sheet of ply as well another £45 but it has still only cost just over £200

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Been looking for days at doing the same.

Can tow around too!
I was talking to a mate and happened to say that i was looking for a trailer - he had 1 he was thinking of getting rid of for a £100 if i was interested - so we went so i could look - galvanised chassis commercial body covered in algae - steadies legs covered in rust and handbrake seized in down position - it was dry inside - certainly larger than i actually wanted but for that sort of money i wont find another 1
Took me 4 hrs to get green finish on the outside back to white so looks presentable now - luckily i have the time and trailer is worth sorting - ebay selling prices on these are silly money even needing work

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I was talking to a mate and happened to say that i was looking for a trailer - he had 1 he was thinking of getting rid of for a £100 if i was interested - so we went so i could look - galvanised chassis commercial body covered in algae - steadies legs covered in rust and handbrake seized in down position - it was dry inside - certainly larger than i actually wanted but for that sort of money i wont find another 1
Took me 4 hrs to get green finish on the outside back to white so looks presentable now - luckily i have the time and trailer is worth sorting - ebay selling prices on these are silly money even needing work

I know, I even looked at an ifor williams mobile workshop, Twenty, something thousand pounds.

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Can see quality in top picture quality boards and what looks like roofing felt shingles hate to think what it weighs and more importantly if wife had something like that i'd only be allowed on the veranda

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back