Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
What’s the view's over this?

I am looking at putting 2 x 6volt Trojan’s on my van rather than replacing the 12 volts.

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
2 x 6v trojans = 1 12v battery.

What amps are the trojans and what amps are the 12v you are replacing?

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
2 x 6v trojans = 1 12v battery.

What amps are the trojans and what amps are the 12v you are replacing?

Hi Bryan!

getting rid of the 2 x 220amp elcsol

want to replace with 2 x T105 Trojans.

T105 6 Volt. 225ah @ 20HR
185ah @ 5HR
Reverve Capacity in minutes :- @25 amps - 447
@75 amps - 115

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
OK-tell me the advantages-are you getting more in a smaller space or the same in a smaller space ?
I've been looking at batteries lately and couldn't understand the numbers with Trojan :Doh:

Mike.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
i have a agm longlife 85 amp squadron battery fitted .squadron are not trading now ut there are some of there 6v batteries on ebay .
are you saying you can put two 6v and run with 12v .ifso sounds good to me
help from tec man required .:Eeek:

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
OK-tell me the advantages-are you getting more in a smaller space or the same in a smaller space ?
I've been looking at batteries lately and couldn't understand the numbers with Trojan :Doh:

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I don't understand the numbers either mate!
I have just read so many good reviews about these batteries. My Elecsol that cost £ 500 squid are rubbish and one of them has gone dead after just 2 years. the Trogan's will give me the same 440 amp but they are true deep cycle. i was told 2 x 6volt would give longer performance than 2 x 12volt.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Don't know how true but have always been told by people I respect for their knowledge that 2x6volt is the better way to go.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
i have a agm longlife 85 amp squadron battery fitted .squadron are not trading now ut there are some of there 6v batteries on ebay .
are you saying you can put two 6v and run with 12v .ifso sounds good to me
help from tec man required .:Eeek:

Yer, you connect them in sequence instead of in parallel

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
My understanding is that connecting batteries in series, as you would have to do with the 6v to give 12 v, maintains the capacity.

Thus 2 trojans in series would give you 225 amp hours capacity. Your 2 Ecosel 12v in parallel give you 440 amp hours capacity.

Are you not halving your power availability.

lunarman

edit see here

http://www.zbattery.com/Connecting-Batteries-in-Series-or-Parallel

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
My understanding is that connecting batteries in series, as you would have to do with the 6v to give 12 v, maintains the capacity.

Thus 2 trojans in series would give you 225 amp hours capacity. Your 2 Ecosel 12v in parallel give you 440 amp hours capacity.

Are you not halving your power availability.

lunarman

edit see here

http://www.zbattery.com/Connecting-Batteries-in-Series-or-Parallel

Yes i will be but getting a true 225 would be better than i felt i ever got from the Elecsols

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Elecsol give a 5 year guarantee, so if yours has died after just 2 years, it might be worth having a word. Maybe it was a dodgy battery from the start, has we have 2, both 3 years old now and going strong.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
My understanding of it is that the 6v bats will give you a true 225ah as you can almost run them flat without damaging them. Standard 12v bats shouldnt be allowed to go below 50% capacity or it knackers them.

Or so im lead to believe, personally id go with the 6 volt if youve got the space and weight capacity spare.

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Hi Pat,

2 x 6v 225 ah batteries will give you 225 ah total
2 x 12v 220 ah batteries will give you 440 ah total

IIRC the trojans can be discharged to 20% before flat and the 'normal' batteries 50%

So...

2 x 6v, 225ah batteries gives 225 time 80% = 180 amp hours
2 x 12v, 220ah batteries gives 440 times 50% = 220 amp hours

Trojans are true deep cycle batteries so they should handle being deep discharged and recharged better.

HTH

Bryan

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp

I am looking at putting 2 x 6volt Trojan’s on my van rather than replacing the 12 volts.

Hi Patrick,

We have 2 x 6v Trojan 105 batteries, had them on the RV we replaced 3 12v 110amp batteries, we have now also swopped them to the fiver, I personally think they are the best you can get, true deep cycle and you can get them at a decent price if you shop around.

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Elecsol give a 5 year guarantee, so if yours has died after just 2 years, it might be worth having a word. Maybe it was a dodgy battery from the start, has we have 2, both 3 years old now and going strong.

I will give them a call on Monday Graham; not very optimistic though, have been reading a lot about this company when it comes to there 5 year guarantee, it can take months of arguing with them.

hope your all well?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Patrick if I was you I would go for the cheapest FLA battery's I could find :thumb:
Try
http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/
or KNOLBECK CARAVANS 01226753956
BOTH HAVE CHEAP PRICES FOR BATTERY'S BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO RING
terry

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

Hi there,
we have 2 x 6 volt Trojan batteries. They are brilliant . We were advised to put them on because we have the Webasto diesel heating , which is also great in the winter . But not if you like rallying. As it soon ate the batteries.
Remember that you have to have them in an outside locker or have them in a sealed battery box vented to the outside. As they gas off when being charged. Ours are inside , with 2 venting tubes to the outside .
We have upgraded the on board battery charger , to a 50 amp 4 stage charger. So in the winter months we can plug the Honda in and give them a fast charge in under an hour. If needed.
We have found that the really hold the charge for a lot longer than standard leisure batteries. We can easily go 2 full days/ weekend with the Webasto , TV's , and every other electric gadget teenagers love to use:Doh:
Bev
( with a little help from Ralph on the techi bit:Blush: :ROFLMAO:)
P.S ,
OH and even better , we had our 2 Trojans given :thumb:

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Update on the Elecsol battery saga:

I put both batteries on a mains charger for three days and they are now showing 14 on my control unit. When I tested them with the hydrometer it only showed as 125 just in the green area.

I have put of phoning Elecsol until Iam sure they do have a problem. I believe that carbon-fiber batteries do show a lower level on a hydrometer than ordinary lead plate batteries.:Doh:

Any thoughts on the above ??????

Has anyone fitted a 50 Amp Sterling battery 2 battery charger…what do you think of the kit???????????

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Hi Patrick if I was you I would go for the cheapest FLA battery's I could find :thumb:
Try
http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/
or KNOLBECK CARAVANS 01226753956
BOTH HAVE CHEAP PRICES FOR BATTERY'S BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO RING
terry

had a look on olearys site, nothing for batterys. Have seen some good deals on Flebay though!

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Update on the Elecsol battery saga:

I put both batteries on a mains charger for three days and they are now showing 14 volts on my control unit.
When I tested them with the hydrometer it only showed as 125 just in the green area.
I believe that carbon-fiber batteries do show a lower level on a hydrometer than ordinary lead plate batteries.

I have put of phoning Elecsol until Iam sure they do have a problem. :Doh:

Any thoughts on the above ??????
bump

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
had a look on olearys site, nothing for batterys. Have seen some good deals on Flebay though!

Hi Patrick, you have to phone them :thumb:It is a proper Aladin's cave :thumb: and as such they only display ( web ) about a quarter of what they stock :ROFLMAO: They get just about anything M/H related, but chances are they will already have it :ROFLMAO:
terry
PS my thought's on battery's are they all die, some quicker than others regardless of how much you pay ! All my research on battery's point to flooded lead acid giving the best value for money - unless you want to pay what I call snob / bragging factor.Ask your self how many posts you have read where my expensive battery has died after 2 yrs ? Well a cheapo one should last longer than that. My cheapo one is 3 yrs old, still going strong and owes me very little.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Patrick, you have to phone them :thumb:It is a proper Aladin's cave :thumb: and as such they only display ( web ) about a quarter of what they stock :ROFLMAO: They get just about anything M/H related, but chances are they will already have it :ROFLMAO:
terry
PS my thought's on battery's are they all die, some quicker than others regardless of how much you pay ! All my research on battery's point to flooded lead acid giving the best value for money - unless you want to pay what I call snob / bragging factor.Ask your self how many posts you have read where my expensive battery has died after 2 yrs ? Well a cheapo one should last longer than that. My cheapo one is 3 yrs old, still going strong and owes me very little.
:thumb:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I might have posted this before, :RollEyes: , but I would recommend these batteries to anyone:

Link Removed

I currently have nine of these batteries on three different vehicles, two lots getting very hard use and one lot with typical motorhome use.
The newest are a couple of months old and the oldest about two years.

I have no complaints whatsoever with their performance and the price is very good.
I just search for the cheapest on the internet and buy from there.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Crieky:Eeek: hutchies, although they are nice branded batteries :thumb: I was thinking more like 130 amp hrs for fifty quid tops :ROFLMAO: Out of curiosity next time I pass knolbeck I will see what price they are - about 6 mths since I priced some up :winky:
terry

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I was thinking more like 130 amp hrs for fifty quid tops
terry

Ah, Terry, you mean those Cambodian batteries made from pennies and vinegar!

In the olden days, I qualified as an electrical engineer. More recently, I did a Physics degree with a special interest in electrical theory.

However, when I go to buy a leisure battery, I'm as much in the dark as anyone about what a particular battery can do, without a test facility to dismantle and test, say, fifty of the batteries I'm looking at.

I was looking at various batteries recently, from the same manufacturer, and as far as I could tell, the leisure batteries were different from the starting batteries only because they had a picture of a caravan stuck on the side.

I have a permanent marker pen here and I'm thinking that if I go and write '400Ah, deep cycle' on each of my leisure batteries, I'll never have to worry about losing power again! :thumb:

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
I think i will go with what terry says...just get cheepos and replace them as needed.

Thanks to everyone who replied:thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we fitted a pair of the LUCAS 113AH ULTRA DEEP CYCLE LEISURE BATTERIES , and very pleased with them.:thumb:

They can almost keep up with Jane's usage of power.:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: But the more slack I give her the more she uses, bit like the water, if I have to carry it a long way she doesn't use that much, but park next to a tap she can use thousands of gallons.:winky::roflmto: Bob.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back