Ipad Issues Using this Forum? (1 Viewer)

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
i've no issues with a pc or laptop but iPad is frustrating.
I tend to look at the RECENT posts and right click to open in new tab all that look interesting and read them one after the other.

Using an iPad I press and hold the thread to activate the menu to open, open in new tab, etc.

Some threads open ok in a new tab but others create an error and give the log on page. If I renter my details the page opens correctly without fail. The same thread from the home page, if I press to open in the same page works every time. But this then means pressing back button to get back to home page to select a new thread.

Any one else had this issue or a solution?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
No, sorry I can't really help as I dint have problems using my iPad mini.
When you fill in your log in details to you click the "keep me logged in" box?

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
To get back to the home page use the motorhome with the fun flag ,top left (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I use our iPad no problem, the only thing that doesn’t work is if I want to add a smiley but that works ok on the lap top.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Half the problem is, is that you’re trying to use the iPad like a laptop..... try and change your thinking in that touching the screen in a certain place takes you to where you want to go rather then telling it .... if you know what I mean...

I know what I mean sometimes...(n)

Did that help..? Not a lot I bet...(y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I use the forum all the time on an iPad. The user experience is OK but it could be much better, especially in the editor. But we are getting ready for a massive upgrade later this year that will see much better use-ability for mobiles and tablets, you'll be able to use your built in smileys, Android users will get push notifications and were planning for all users to be able to post video straight into a post much like you can on faceache.

Lots to do first and lots of money to spend getting it all to work together. But with 70% of internet users online on their mobile we need to ensure that Fun remains slick and easy to use (y)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I use the forum all the time on an iPad. The user experience is OK but it could be much better, especially in the editor. But we are getting ready for a massive upgrade later this year that will see much better use-ability for mobiles and tablets, you'll be able to use your built in smileys, Android users will get push notifications and were planning for all users to be able to post video straight into a post much like you can on faceache.

Lots to do first and lots of money to spend getting it all to work together. But with 70% of internet users online on their mobile we need to ensure that Fun remains slick and easy to use (y)
I thought that was the reason, lol

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019

@Jim :D:notworthy::ROFLMAO::sick::sleep::sneaky:(n):unsure: no problem using inbuilt smileys from iPad or android. I don't get the issue of new tabs asking for password either with Android. Most strange is that with iPad some threads work ok but others don't and I haven't yet found a common link for those that do and those that don't!.
Almost embarrassed to admit I run an IT based company . I'm sure someone will come along shortly and put.me out of my misery and I will gladly eat humble pie. :whistle::whistle::whistle:

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Half the problem is, is that you’re trying to use the iPad like a laptop..... try and change your thinking in that touching the screen in a certain place takes you to where you want to go rather then telling it .... if you know what I mean...

I know what I mean sometimes...(n)

Did that help..? Not a lot I bet...(y)

@Just smiffy
Ermmm....... No :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I use our iPad no problem, the only thing that doesn’t work is if I want to add a smiley but that works ok on the lap top.
I can't use the smiley from the keyboard. But you can by selecting from the typeface shortcuts at the top of each post LIKE this :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
To get back to the home page use the motorhome with the fun flag ,top left (y)
That works well - thanks.

How did you find out or is there a 'hidden secrets folder @Jim hasn't mentioned elsewhere (y)

OP
OP
Bustup15

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
No, sorry I can't really help as I dint have problems using my iPad mini.
When you fill in your log in details to you click the "keep me logged in" box?
:D:D:D
Previous replies tonight were from an Android as iPad was flat.
Just opened this thread (didn't log on using username) pressed the thread menu appeared, selected open in new tab, and it did. Work that one out :rolleyes:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Never used the iPad emojis before, they work.
Never used anything other than an iPad or iPhone either and I have absolutely no idea what the following means.
Using an iPad I press and hold the thread to activate the menu to open, open in new tab, etc.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Ha, emojis didn’t appear after posting!

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
That works well - thanks.

How did you find out or is there a 'hidden secrets folder @Jim hasn't mentioned elsewhere (y)

After five years on the forum I'm afraid I can't remember,although forum navigation does crop up every now and again! I always keep my site navigation within Fun,just touch 'recent' in the blue bar at the top and it opens,never use the back arrow on the tablet.

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
I used to have a similar issue to the OP on an older iPad (3rd Gen, so nearly 7 years old). I also open all the threads of interest in different tabs and then read them, closing each after I've read it. A small number of those tabs would be completely blank and, while some would load after pressing the reload button, others would remain a mystery and I'd have to try and work out which of the original threads I'd not seen. I put it down to imperfect wifi - if you are trying to open multiple tabs at the same time, that must put a fair demand on the system. They never opened requesting a login, though. I use the same routine on a wired desktop Mac but have never experienced anything there.

Having recently replaced that iPad with a newer one (a not quite new iPad Pro), I haven't seen the issue once anywhere in the house, so (touching wood) I have concluded that my method of browsing was overloading the hardware. When you look at the comparative processing powers of older units against newer ones, it's little wonder they struggle.

One behaviour they do still sometimes exhibit is not going to the first unread post. The tabs always open at the correct page but occasionally default to the top post on the page. A quick press of the 'Go to first unread' button always fixes that, which also proves I have remained logged in.

Good luck with the upgrade, @Jim - if I could make one request it would be that you retain the 'near-desktop' experience we receive on iPads (and presumably other tablets). I find it most annoying when a website defaults to a simplified version on a tablet, which has a decent sized screen and may have greater resolution than some desktop monitors.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That's the same as me they appear on the draft then disappear when posted.
The site will eventually support the standard set of emoji you have on your phone, so you'll be able to use them anywhere even in thread titles but right now we don't. though one or two do seem to work now and agaim
if I could make one request it would be that you retain the 'near-desktop' experience we receive on iPads (and presumably other tablets). I find it most annoying when a website defaults to a simplified version on a tablet, which has a decent sized screen and may have greater resolution than some desktop monitors.

No I agree, I'm not a fan of mobile versions of sites. The site will just render down to suit whatever size glass your using, much like it doe now. We do make changes when you go from say laptop to phone, but they are subtle and hardly noticed.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Do you regularly clear your pages? if you double click the button on rhs you will see this

image.png

swipe up to clear (y)

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
That looks a bit different now on iOS12 @rb62 - it's a tiled thing, showing open apps. You still swipe up to close them.
IMG_FD755EC28B3A-1.jpeg
I only ever have a few open but SWMBO regularly has tens if not hundreds and wonders why stuff is slow. Mind you, that is also a 3rd Gen device, which we will replace when funds allow.

On some of the latest iPads (not mine) there isn't even a button but I expect there is something which does the same job.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back