Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Connecting via bbq is the low pressure side of system, connecting a bottle direct here will result in a loud bang!!
Even with a regulator on bottle why would you not use the filler and the van regulator with the local connection hose that’s designed for the job?

Can you get a filter from a Repsol garage for instance?

Cheers
not sure, mine unhelpfully came from the gasit website they may deliver to you!

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Connecting via bbq is the low pressure side of system, connecting a bottle direct here will result in a loud bang!!
Even with a regulator on bottle why would you not use the filler and the van regulator with the local connection hose that’s designed for the job?

not sure, mine unhelpfully came from the gasit website they may deliver to you!
Everyone to their own but bottle connected to regulator then to bbq outside point seems the safest way to do it and just isolate your regulator - your way relies on hose connected to bottle then to fill point if it fails you will lose a lot of gas very quickly either way could fail but it is individual choice in the end

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Agree each to their own but same difference, bottle to hose to filler or bottle to hose to bbq point? Which bits do you see failing?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Agree each to their own but same difference, bottle to hose to filler or bottle to hose to bbq point? Which bits do you see failing?
None but not sure what adaptors you would need your way for different types of bottle connections - my way all it costs is a regulator wherever you go and it would be easily available in country you are in

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
None but not sure what adaptors you would need your way for different types of bottle connections - my way all it costs is a regulator wherever you go and it would be easily available in country you are in
Then there is the little point that the bbq point manufacturers all state that they are not suitable for back feeding a supply into your gas system so good luck with your insurance !
Or you use the equipment sold and recommended by Gaslow or Gasit (y)

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Then there is the little point that the bbq point manufacturers all state that they are not suitable for back feeding a supply into your gas system so good luck with your insurance !
Or you use the equipment sold and recommended by Gaslow or Gasit (y)
Ok you have made a statement can you attatch the manafacturers statement that says you cant use the BBQ point - some regulators abroad run different pressure so you have to watch that - never used foreign bottle but they all seem to have different connectors - so your statement that the hose fits all eu bottles are you certain it does and no-one is going to get caught out - it states 21.8 fitting so will it work on all eu cylinders

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
When I had my refillable bottles fitted, I was told it was ok to use the BBQ point.

This was a very well known installer near Thirsk.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Truma say
The external gas socket is only suitable for remov- ing gas, not for feeding gas into the gas system.
The adapters for the reserve cylinder hose are shown on the original Gaslow page but here it is again

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Truma say
The external gas socket is only suitable for remov- ing gas, not for feeding gas into the gas system.
The adapters for the reserve cylinder hose are shown on the original Gaslow page but here it is again
You make statements on gas safety and you have said on here that you use an adaptor to fill exchange bottles ie calor or similar which is a safety issue - you preach one thing when it suits you - not saying it cant be done if you know cylinder capacity and how much you can safely put in but for anyone to just do it is asking for trouble

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
You make statements on gas safety and you have said on here that you use an adaptor to fill exchange bottles ie calor or similar which is a safety issue - you preach one thing when it suits you - not saying it cant be done if you know cylinder capacity and how much you can safely put in but for anyone to just do it is asking for trouble

Because I know the rules doesn’t mean I actually have to follow them (y)
What I don’t do is tell other people to do as I do I merely point out the options.
I still believe that using an adapter to fill a Calor type bottle is safer than many of the diy installations of refillable cylinders which are not normally tested before filling.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
When I had my refillable bottles fitted, I was told it was ok to use the BBQ point.

This was a very well known installer near Thirsk.
It’s probably absolutely fine in reality but it’s not apparently recommended by the manufacturers so it’s that same old thing that what if something goes wrong.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Not if a regulator is used. the correct quick fit connector into the barbecue point is far easier than having to screw/unscrew a threaded connector + the possibility of it leaking.

As first reply far easier. Why would you use a regulator on the bottle & fill through the filler & so have 2 regulators in the system ? Just means more restriction on the flow & capacity to use everything at once. I'm off anyway ,all too complicated for me. Like having a drum of diesel to syphon in to tank as too lazy too move.:)

Reactions: mfw

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Bit late coming into this but here's my tuppence worth....
I would much rather connect from a regulated bottle to a BBQ point at 30mb than from an unregulated bottle to a fixed fill point at full bottle pressure... Approx 7.5 BAR @ 70°F

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
As first reply far easier. Why would you use a regulator on the bottle & fill through the filler & so have 2 regulators in the system ? Just means more restriction on the flow & capacity to use everything at once. I'm off anyway ,all too complicated for me. Like having a drum of diesel to syphon in to tank as too lazy too move.:)[/QUOTE]

Never mentioned two regulators, just using the filler to fill, and the bbq point to bbq, as I said each to their own, this from gaslow below

The Gaslow Reserve Cylinder Connection Hose enables the connection of a reserve cylinder to the Gaslow filler point.

Perfect if you are on site and don't want to move your caravan to find a filling station.
The hose screws into the internal thread on the Gaslow Fill Kit.
The other end of the hose connects directly to any 21.8LH cylinders or our range of Gaslow 21.8LH Adapters, so you can connect to all European cylinders.
The gas will be drawn from the reserve cylinder, through one of the refillable cylinders to the regulator.
Note that it will not transfer liquid gas into the refillable cylinder, so gas from this cylinder will only be used if the refillable is empty.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
To go back to the original question there is a BP garage just east of Lagos that does autogas, or it was still there 12 months ago. Next nearest was in Portimao. There is also a very helpful gas refiller and engineer just off the N125 before the turning to Loule
I know a lot of people do feed gas back via a bbq point and with common sense it should be ok ( via a reg of course) but I would much rather refill the tank, thats what its for. In UK its vat- able as road fuel from a garage but at a lower rate from non garage sources.
Mike

Feb 2, 2011
Travelling Europe
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
3 years caravaning 5th year motorhoming
Mine is set up with a repsol bottle adapter available from gaslow just as you have said and works perfectly. Hope you find a supplier locally

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Ask the locals when you arrive at Turiscampo. When I was there I found that reception or the other Brits that were staying, there's always a number that have been doing it for a number of years, are both helpful and knowledgeable.
Have a happy stay, I did!

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Well an update to this thread, thanks to a fellow funster who told me where to go to, I obtained a Portuguese/Spanish adapter which clips onto the bottle (unregulated) and simply connects to my fill point, happy days :D:):):)
0AED1F28-F425-4F3F-B424-91000251EB05.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back