Eberspacher diesel heater. Noisy pump (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Hi Everyone

We were out at the coast today and ran the heating for a few hours, no problem but, the pump seemed very noisy. The pump is 13 years old now, is it possible to get a silent one? or at least a quiet one?

Thanks

John

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Sorry I don't know .I think the noise is from the diesel pump,I don't think there is a fault as such it's just a bit noisy. I've seen pumps on ebay for about ÂŁ10 but I doubt they are good quality. I haven't even found the pump yet, it may be possible to repair the existing pump. But I am not sure how noisy it should be, it just seems louder than it used to be.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
I fitted an Eberspacher heater in my old VW T4. The pump was a regular ticking when the heater was warming up, but once warmed up was just a quiet tick every few seconds. The pumps should be rubber mounted so that they don't transmit sound.

I would have a look at your pump to see how it is mounted and whether it is touching anything

Cheers

Trevor

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
the pumps are not serviceable , it might be worth checking fuel filter if fitted as these can cause pump to be noisier if partly blocked

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I haven't even found the pump yet,
Is your diesel heater an airtronic or hydronic.. ie does it just heat air or is it a water heater as well...
Its just that the hydronic heaters ive seen incorperate the dosing pump in the heater casing itsself and not externally..
Just a thought..
Andy

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I fitted an Eberspacher heater in my old VW T4. The pump was a regular ticking when the heater was warming up, but once warmed up was just a quiet tick every few seconds. The pumps should be rubber mounted so that they don't transmit sound.

I would have a look at your pump to see how it is mounted and whether it is touching anything

Cheers

Trevor

As Trevor has said it will be the pump touching some were, the lastiest pump mount is insulated from its fixing point to minimise vibration so just replace the mount for the latest P type

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
My heater is really noisy but i think its the roar of the fan ,,,BUSBY.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I'll have a look but I think it is a faulty pump. It runs all the time even with the heater on low. I think it is not shutting off when the line is under pressure. Has anyone used a cheap Chinese pump? Was it any good?

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
@The gasman

When I was installing the eberspacher in my old VW T4, I found a lot of useful information on this site. It has a fault finding section and in there is how to test a pump

Cheers

Trevor

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back