Just a water leak (1 Viewer)

Jan 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
bought a motorhome 16 months old in september 2018......... 2 weeks later..... went camping starting raining we had a leak in the roof... now its January..... still leaking..... still waiting for the dealership to fix?
Any one got any suggestions?

OP
OP
Lee "Just a Water Leak"TM
Jan 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
A big tarpaulin they said its not a promlem its just a water leak we will get it sorted what was 17 weeks ago i put a cover on now the battery's are flat

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
A big tarpaulin they said its not a promlem its just a water leak we will get it sorted what was 17 weeks ago i put a cover on now the battery's are flat
That's shocking :( hopefully when they do sort it they do it properly , the cover though is a good idea as the problem with water leaks is the unseen damage that's happening as the water travels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Is it possible to do a temporary repair ? I would think it's in your interest to stop any damage getting any worse ?
Might affect the warranty though so I'd be inclined just to cover it up till they take it in to sort it.

Or depending how new it is etc maybe you can reject it completely.

I've never bought a new one ( one of the main reasons due to reading other folks issues) but might be an option

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can't drive around with a tarp over it.
If it was bought on credit get the credit company involved.... It belongs to them until you pay it off and they are responsible.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
What make of motorhome is it? Maybe the maker still carries a warranty.

OP
OP
Lee "Just a Water Leak"TM
Jan 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
yes they said it has a warranty with the van when they sent it of 4 week's later it took 5 more week's for the dealers to change it to me they said no to the warranty so now i'm book in on friday at a repair shop to see if we can get it fix. there is a lot going on with me and the dealer i bought it of so i cant say to much at the moment.my van in on a 17 plate it was 14 months old when i had it.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hope you get it sorted soon (y) . keep us posted

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I feel for you, we had a brand new Autotrail that had damp issues within a few years of ownership.

Thankfully the ten year Autotrail warranty was honoured and it was sorted out. But it still leaked in another area a year later.

Got fed up with repairing it and getting warranty repairs done so sold it.

Post some pictures if you can. (y)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Makes you wonder if thats why the previous owner got rid of it. Someone took a hit trading in a 17 plate MH.

Silicon is not the best for roof repairs. Sikaflex would be better but not cheap. Round the skylights they use a non setting mastic because the roof moves in hot weather.

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Motorhomeproblems

Free Member
Jan 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Problems
Exp
Might affect the warranty though so I'd be inclined just to cover it up till they take it in to sort it.

Or depending how new it is etc maybe you can reject it completely.

I've never bought a new one ( one of the main reasons due to reading other folks issues) but might be an option
What do you mean by reject it completely?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Strange Q for a first post. :whistle: Welcome to Fun, Hello :)

@Lee "Just a Water Leak"TM I see you've ran out of free posts. This forum is the best and you will recoup your £15 with information and new friends in no time. Just click the subscribe button. (y)
I suspect it's the op who ran out of posts and created a new account

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
It would be helpful to describe the motorhome and where the less incoming from, that might have resulted in some advice on hoot minimise damage with a temporary repair which must be possible.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi
Sorry to read of your dreadful experience.
Picking up on a couple of points you have made.
There is a right to reject goods as not fit for purpose, under the sale of goods act. However the law states that this must be done in a reasonable time and suggests 2 to 3 weeks. As you purchased it last September, I don’t think that route is open to you.

You say your batteries are flat. You don’t specify whether it’s the vehicle (cab) battery or the habitation battery.
Both batteries will require monitoring and some form of top up if you are not using the vehicle. Modern cabs have inbuilt systems which have a small drain on the vehicle battery (the alarm can drain mine in 3 weeks) and there may be something in the habitation side, like a wired in co2 or smoke detector or just a plugged in adapter that could cause a tiny drain.
You will need to have some form of replacing these losses out of the batteries and most people use solar panels or keep the MH plugged into the electric mains at home.

I do hope that your dealer does the right thing by you and fixes the leak properly.
Good luck

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
"Fools seldom differ" is the other one.

He/she is showing on the front page as simple name change.
Looks like a change of name didn't allow anymore free posts, hence the new username account.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Looks like a change of name didn't allow anymore free posts, hence the new username account.

I'm confused now, have you seen new account with different member number ? Only a matter of minutes before @Jim would pick that up from the IP address.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I'm confused now, have you seen new account with different member number ? Only a matter of minutes before @Jim would pick that up from the IP address.

I don't think its rocket science that a "New subscriber" Makes a 1st post on Lees thread, and a 2nd post on his name change thread.:LOL:

If signing up from a mobile that wouldn't generate the same IP address.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back